House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Vauxhall Launches Lifetime Warranty

http://www.whatcar.c...warranty/251779

Vauxhall has launched the industry's first comprehensive lifetime warranty.

The warranty comes with all new Vauxhalls bought since August 1, 2010.

Although the warranty excludes wear and tear items, and is restricted to 100,000 miles, it covers the powertrain, steering, brakes and electrical systems of every car in the range are covered.

Vauxhall managing director Duncan Aldred said: 'We have confidence in the quality of our products and we want our customers to benefit from that confidence too.'

Owners will have to visit a Vauxhall retailer for a free inspection once a year to maintain the cover, but there is no clause to insist that servicing is done at one of the company's franchises rather than an independent garage.

Second owners will have to pay a fee to adopt the warranty with their car, although details of this are yet to be announced.

Until now, Kia has offered the longest warranty of seven years, while Toyota recently joined Hyundai in offering a five-year policy.

Interesting development?

Demand drying up again?

Catches? I've never had a Vauxhall, nor wanted to own one and I'm not sure I've ever driven one but hopefully this will cause other manufacturers to follow suit to compete.

Edit: Title should say 'lifetime' not liftime. Liftime would just be silly.

A reflection of how well built most modern cars are, nice to see a manufacturer having confidence in their product.

If I hadn't just bought another car that would be steering me back towards the gates of Vauxhall; nice deal.

Most Vauxhalls are Ex fleet, notice please that the warrenty is for the 1ST owner only, its not transfar-able.

We hear a flood of cheap "Rep cars" are coming.....From Dacia (Nissan/Renualt) & Talbot (Pug/Citroen) The days of expensive REP cars are done, Tax is based on List price & CO2. The furture of REP cars are smaller (Vauxhall Vector size) 3 cycinder sub 100 G engines.........the days of Merc/BMW 135 MPH T/Ds on the firm will be history for most.

Mike

Interesting development?

Demand drying up again?

Catches? I've never had a Vauxhall, nor wanted to own one and I'm not sure I've ever driven one but hopefully this will cause other manufacturers to follow suit to compete.

Wear and tear.. Brakes, Clutch, Tyres. Paint scratches probably not. And quite possibly means you have to have it serviced at the main dealer. Which probably adds a couple of grand over the life of the car (after 3 years).

Look at it this way: My 9 year old Mondeo (65k mostly non-motorway miles, at least 2 careless owners) has had about £400 worth of work that could reasonably be have been claimed under this warranty. Newer models should be better, especially after the electrical gremlins are dealt with - which would be the case under a 3 year warranty anyway.

Wear and tear.. Brakes, Clutch, Tyres. Paint scratches probably not. And quite possibly means you have to have it serviced at the main dealer. Which probably adds a couple of grand over the life of the car (after 3 years).

Look at it this way: My 9 year old Mondeo (65k mostly non-motorway miles, at least 2 careless owners) has had about £400 worth of work that could reasonably be have been claimed under this warranty. Newer models should be better, especially after the electrical gremlins are dealt with - which would be the case under a 3 year warranty anyway.

It sepcifically says not.

It's peace of mind that you don't need to worry about your gearbox imploding.

Most Vauxhalls are Ex fleet, notice please that the warrenty is for the 1ST owner only, its not transfar-able.

We hear a flood of cheap "Rep cars" are coming.....From Dacia (Nissan/Renualt) & Talbot (Pug/Citroen) The days of expensive REP cars are done, Tax is based on List price & CO2. The furture of REP cars are smaller (Vauxhall Vector size) 3 cycinder sub 100 G engines.........the days of Merc/BMW 135 MPH T/Ds on the firm will be history for most.

Mike

Second owners will have to pay a fee to adopt the warranty with their car, although details of this are yet to be announced.

Kia offer a 7 year warranty for their Ceed...If you do 12k a year, your not too far off..

Biggest warranty costs are early anyway. If you're going to offer 7 years, offer lifetime, doesn't make a big difference, particularly if it drives traffic to dealers.

"Vauxhall retailer for a free inspection once a year to maintain the cover"

Is the winner

How many 5year+ vehicles see the inside of an authorised dealer?

Want to maintain you warranty, now you've got to go. And by the way Sir, you're up for your annual service.

Don't go and your 7 year just evaporated.

Smart move

Edit to add:

"Second owners will have to pay a fee to adopt the warranty with their car, although details of this are yet to be announced."

I didn’t see that first time. Get the customers to pay to make the terms of their warranty worse.

Genius

Kia offer a 7 year warranty for their Ceed...If you do 12k a year, your not too far off..

Yes and i noticed both KIA & Hyundi getting BIG fleet deals!

I think BSM has just add 650 Pro-ceed off Kia..................

As VAT/Tax & rates (in the end) kick in no one will worry too much about what it is, but how much & does it work.......Kia/Hyundi does.

Mike

Biggest warranty costs are early anyway. If you're going to offer 7 years, offer lifetime, doesn't make a big difference, particularly if it drives traffic to dealers.

"Vauxhall retailer for a free inspection once a year to maintain the cover"

Is the winner

How many 5year+ vehicles see the inside of an authorised dealer?

Want to maintain you warranty, now you've got to go. And by the way Sir, you're up for your annual service.

Don't go and your 7 year just evaporated.

Smart move

Edit to add:

"Second owners will have to pay a fee to adopt the warranty with their car, although details of this are yet to be announced."

I didn’t see that first time. Get the customers to pay to make the terms of their warranty worse.

Genius

It's an annual free inspection, not an annual charged-for service.

Also, any annual-service charges on the car go to the garage, while the manufacturer pays for the warranty costs. Also, the manufacturers don't OWN the dealers, and have to pay the dealers for any warranty work done. Vauxhall will even have to pay the dealers for performing the inspections.

You can get the car serviced wherever you like. All car warranty requirements state you have to have the car serviced as per manufacturer guidelines, not by the manufacturer. As long as you replace components and fluids when they are due to be replaced, and don't put something back together wrong, the manufacturer wont care. What they will care about is if you don't get the cam belt done when it's due and it snaps and you try and claim off the warranty.

It's all common sense really.

Yes and i noticed both KIA & Hyundi getting BIG fleet deals!

I think BSM has just add 650 Pro-ceed off Kia..................

As VAT/Tax & rates (in the end) kick in no one will worry too much about what it is, but how much & does it work.......Kia/Hyundi does.

Mike

I think these far eastern "lesser" manufacturers have to offer these sorts of warranties, as most ppl still distrust their build quality, and still buy Japanese or European ..I remember seeing early Protons (early 90s) and they did deserve their "bad quality" labels. Some manufacturers have improved markedly, where as others haven't, so they go for the cheap price point..

You can get the car serviced wherever you like.

Well sure, book the car in for the warranty check; lose the vehicle for a day and a hard sell. Servicing and sales here, btw... We noticed that your pads are worn, sir, we recommend you get them replaced. Old car, madam, do you realise how much it’s costing you to run this compared to a new vehicle on our double special options lease package, how about a free no obligation test drive, madam?

Of course you can tell the dealer to stick it, go take the vehicle to another garage and a service, and lose the vehicle for another day. Or you just pay the extra and no inconvenience. Tight wads on this site, I see where it's going, general 5 year old vehicle owning public. Think again.

so,

Buy a 3 year vehicle today, get a 7 year warranty, and do what the hell you want.

Buy a 3 year vehicle tomorrow, pay for a 100k limit and a trip to a dealer every year.

And sure Auto's don't own dealers, but the make a bunch of cash out of selling branded components. Over the lifetime of the vehicle, in an authorised dealer, more than the profit on the sale.

This is about getting old cars into dealerships.

Can't see how it's a bad thing myself.

3 years warranties moving out too lifetime.

So, I buy my car, I do 5-6k p.a. The warranty covers it against any major failures for the next 15 years.

Couldn't care less about brake pads, tyres etc. You have those irrespective of the warranty.

If it included the clutch I think it would be about as good as it could get, but I suspect that will be mostly excluded as a wear and tear item,

Also, my experience with independents has been that they're not much cheaper on balance (they may up for low quotes/labour rates in other ways) so I'm failing to see much of a downside to this personally.

Just hope it spreads to the Germans by the time I need a new one.

Guest Noodle

Interesting development?

Demand drying up again?

Standard warranty is 3 years and 60,000 miles mechanical, 6 years rust.

So they're really extending the warranty by 40,000 miles.

Really good car by the way, underrated. Get the Corsa 1.3 CDTi Energy, goes well and does 88mpg.

Really good car by the way, underrated. Get the Corsa 1.3 CDTi Energy, goes well and does 88mpg.

Also a fan of Vauxhalls. Great build quality, cheap servicing and parts.

6 Vauxhalls in my past. Had 3 Cavaliers, all were reliable. Got an Astra Dti at the moment, not brilliant but a good economical runner for the money. My 16v Calibra and Astra SRi (both in 90s) were money-pits though.

I'd be tempted if the prices weren't so high. I mean, £9k + for a Corsa? Come on.

Guest Noodle

6 Vauxhalls in my past. Had 3 Cavaliers, all were reliable. Got an Astra Dti at the moment, not brilliant but a good economical runner for the money. My 16v Calibra and Astra SRi (both in 90s) were money-pits though.

I'd be tempted if the prices weren't so high. I mean, £9k + for a Corsa? Come on.

Crazy innit? £14k from Vauxhall. Try Lookers.

Vauxhall has vastly raised their game over the last few years. My first motor was an H Plate Astra. I believe that they used to use a water-based paint, so it quickly went from red to pink. The engine wasn't too bad, but mine had been skimmed as the previous owner (my cousin) had accidentally boiled it dry...

Vauxhall has vastly raised their game over the last few years. My first motor was an H Plate Astra. I believe that they used to use a water-based paint, so it quickly went from red to pink. The engine wasn't too bad, but mine had been skimmed as the previous owner (my cousin) had accidentally boiled it dry...

I too had an H plate Astra. It was a nice powdery pale blue, after starting life dark.

All in all, it was one of the best cars I ever had. I could chuck it about without giving a damn, and fuel cost nothing. I used to put an average of a tenner a month in it.

In 4 years of abuse it only needed a new clutch and some remoulds. Great little car.

This will probably have the effect of bringing immediate sales to Vauxhall. There'll be a future trade off of many buyers keeping vehicles longer - unless they genuinely think large scale uptake of electric or hybrid isn't that far away.

Guest Noodle

This will probably have the effect of bringing immediate sales to Vauxhall. There'll be a future trade off of many buyers keeping vehicles longer - unless they genuinely think large scale uptake of electric or hybrid isn't that far away.

I wonder if the warranty will be transferable to the next owner?

Although the warranty excludes wear and tear items, and is restricted to 100,000 miles, it covers the powertrain, steering, brakes and electrical systems of every car in the range are covered.

How can they call it "lifetime" and cap it to 100,000 miles?? It's one or the other.