House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Dj Danny Rampling Is Flogging Houses

Constructed by housebuilders Phoenix Trinity, the development – named Shoreline – is the brain child of an all-star ensemble: former GQ journalist Simon Hinton, Charlotte Avery, (aka Tina Stewart from EastEnders) and raver-cum-property developer Rampling.

Sounds more like a recipe for disaster.

I noticed a couple of interesting stories on that link in the op.

Property developer bailed out of near £700m debt by local MPs

Property developer bailed out of near £700m debt by local MPs

Thursday 5th August 2010

Four Norfolk MPs have stepped in to stop a local property developer, Targetfollow, from going into administration.

The developer, whose portfolio includes London’s Centre Point tower, faced administration after loans of over £200 million, granted by Lloyds Banking Group, expired last week. Another £454 million worth of loans are due to expire in October.

However, at the last minute, Norman Lamb, Chloe Smith, Richard Bacon and a fourth, anonymous, MP began a series of negotiations with Lloyds so as to prevent them calling in the administrators. As a result, the company has been allowed more time to repay the loans, keeping the their 290 employees’ jobs safe – at least for the time being.

Broker jailed for three years over £1m bonus fraud

Broker jailed for three years over £1m bonus fraud

Thursday 5th August 2010

By Dawn Murden

A city insurance broker who siphoned off around £1 million of his clients money, was jailed for three-and-a-half years, at Southwark Crown Court this week.

Timothy Barker from Harrow – who worked at Lloyd’s brokerage Besso Ltd as an insurance broker – was found guilty of siphoning off his clients’ cash in order to trick his employers into paying him a higher salary then he had really earned.

The 51-year-old fraudster received an extra £270,000 in salary, commission and bonuses over a four year period, but claimed that the money on his work account was the profit from selling financial insurance products.

Barker’s deception was exposed when Besso discovered it owed money to one of his clients, and after an internal investigation he was arrested in 2006.

Bosses from the brokerage contacted Barker while he was on holiday in Cyprus, and he admitted to the deceit, telling them it had “got out of hand and spiralled.”

The court heard how he had previously been sentenced to 18 months in prison in the mid-nineties after stealing £35,000 from a travel agency where he worked.

Besso also came under fire in 2006 after their failure to notify the FSA of the managerial appointment of an employee who later committed fraud.

It later transpired that the fraudulent activity could have been prevented if the regulator had received an approval application as the employee’s previous convictions would have been detected. Besso were fined £20,000 as a result.

Besso refused to confirm if the individual involved in the case was Timothy Barker.

Margaret Cole, the FSA Director for Enforcement commented on the situation in 2006, and said: “This case visibly illustrates the potential risks that can arise where firms fail to follow the correct regulatory procedures. It is very important for firms to submit applications for approval at the right time and in the proper way.

“If Besso had acted correctly the current alleged fraud could perhaps have been avoided. Other firms should take heed."

The FSA acknowledged the prompt and decisive remedial action that was taken by Besso on discovery of the misconduct, and commended the firm for its co-operation with the FSA throughout. If it weren’t for this then the penalty fee would have been higher.

A Besso spokesperson said: "We are pleased to announce this matter has been officially concluded following a court decision. We would like to stress that no clients were adversely affected by this matter."

"raver-cum-property developer"

:blink:

Might be fine if they knock down the row of crap in front of the development

No way would I pay what they are asking

and there are stairs everywhere, the only sea view seems to be from a small platform in the eaves

There is something very Parker Knoll and 1960's about this image..

livingroom.jpg

With a hint of "old people's home"

There is something very Parker Knoll and 1960's about this image..

livingroom.jpg

With a hint of "old people's home"

While the exterior is not,

The interior is clearly designed to fit in very comfortably with St Leonard's on Sea. Many visitors will feel quite at home when they pop round for tea.

While the exterior is not,

The interior is clearly designed to fit in very comfortably with St Leonard's on Sea. Many visitors will feel quite at home when they pop round for tea.

I bet that Radiogram in the middle has a great bass too. Ideal for playing your 78's on!

I bet that Radiogram in the middle has a great bass too. Ideal for playing your 78's on!

Is that pink thing on the left with the mouldering vegetation on top a retro telly?

Is that pink thing on the left with the mouldering vegetation on top a retro telly?

:lol: I believe that is a faux wood stove.

:lol: I believe that is a faux wood stove.

That is the bit they got wrong. Should have been a Paraffin heater. Aladdin burning Pink or Blue

I still can't believe why anybody would choose to locate 375K new build flats in St Leonards on Sea, behind a row of semi-derelict houses facing a derelict seafront.

Years of council ineptness and neglect in Hastings and St Leonards.

That is the bit they got wrong. Should have been a Paraffin heater. Aladdin burning Pink or Blue

No stylistically its all wrong. This would have been a better choice..

3078799848_7901873430.jpg

OK,

meet me half way

A paraffin heater in the room next door. Common in properties in that area until the mid-late 1980s

OK,

meet me half way

A paraffin heater in the room next door. Common in properties in that area until the mid-late 1980s

OK I'll allow you the paraffin heater, provided I replace the table lamps on the 1960's radiogram with a lava lamp.

Guest X-QUORK

Seeing that fireplace took me straight back to some hazy childhood memory of being tucked up on the sofa with a hot chocolate watching The Generation Game at my grandparents. :)

OK I'll allow you the paraffin heater, provided I replace the table lamps on the 1960's radiogram with a lava lamp.

Right time but uncommon in St Leonards on Sea