House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peter Hun

David Cameron ‘Misspeaks’ By Claiming Iran Has Bomb

David Cameron has been accused of being a "foreign policy klutz" after he mistakenly claimed that Iran possessed a nuclear weapon.

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent

Published: 6:38PM BST 05 Aug 2010

Cameron-direct_1690416c.jpg

David Cameron had a torrid time at his latest PM

Downing Street admitted that the Prime Minister had "misspoken" during a question and answer session with voters when he suggested that the Islamic Republic, which is seeking to develop a nuclear capacity, was already in possession of the bomb.

His slip-up came during a torrid “PM Direct” in Brighton, when he was also accused by a pensioner of “denigrating” his country by suggesting that Britain was the junior partner of the United States against the Nazis in 1940s. America did not enter the War until 1941.

It is the latest in a series of off-the-cuff foreign policy remarks, after he last week accused Pakistan of “exporting terror” and claimed that the Israelis were forcing Palestinians in Gaza to live in a “prison camp”.

Mr Cameron made his Iran blunder when he was asked why he was backing Turkey to join the European Union, telling the audience that he hoped that this could help solve global problems: "like the Middle East peace process, like the fact that Iran has got a nuclear weapon".

Labour immediately seized on his error. Chris Bryant, the shadow Europe minister, said: "This is less of a hiccup, more of a dangerous habit.

"Considering Iran's nuclear ambitions constitute one of the most important foreign policy challenges facing us all, it is not just downright embarrassing that the Prime Minister has made this basic mistake, it's dangerous."

Downing Street said Mr Cameron had meant to say that Iran appears to be trying to pursue a nuclear programme.

The Prime Minister was also forced to make a grovelling apology after being confronted about his 1940 comment by Kathy Finn, a 75-year-old retired telephonist.

She asked: "Who do you consider was the senior partner in the Battle of Britain when we were fighting alone in the first two and a half years of the war?"

Mr Cameron said: "What I meant to say was that I was referring to the 1940s, not 1940. In 1940, as I know, it was the proudest year of our nation's entire history, we were completely on our own.

Mrs Finn interrupted the Prime Minister, accusing him of giving a different version of history to US President Barack Obama during his recent visit to Washington DC.

"You denigrated your own country," she said.

But Mr Cameron insisted: “I absolutely did not want to do that.

"The point I was trying to make is today we are self evidently the junior partner in the special relationship.

"That was the only point I was trying to make and if I upset anyone I am profoundly sorry. I clearly upset you, and so I am trying to set the record straight."

Afterwards, Mrs Finn said that she was now regretting voting for Mr Cameron.

She went on: "When I saw him say what he said on the TV, I was just furious, the same as many other people were, but he doesn't seem to have been picked up on it.

"It seems as if he was trying to appease America and flatter Obama … He didn't seem to know his recent history either.

"I voted for him but it makes me wonder if I was right to do so. I think he downgraded his own country, which was belittling.

"They talk about having a special relationship but it's only special when America wants it to be."

Mr Cameron made his gaffe last month during his first visit to the US as Prime Minister as he explained his view of the special relationship between the two countries.

He said: "I think it's important in life to speak as it is, and the fact is that we are a very effective partner of the US, but we are the junior partner. We were the junior partner in 1940 when we were fighting the Nazis."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/david-cameron/7929116/David-Cameron-misspeaks-by-claiming-Iran-has-bomb.html

Not just foreign policy, his comments about short-hold tenancy's for council tenants was quite obviously made up at the spur of the moment with no regard for the fact that he is a coalition leader. What the **** is he going to say next?

We've moved from a nation of people watching Brown fumble around to a nation of people wondering what this oaf is going to do next.

Can I claim asylum in a real country yet or do I have to wait for this one to tally burn down?

doitsmall.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/david-cameron/7929116/David-Cameron-misspeaks-by-claiming-Iran-has-bomb.html

Not just foreign policy, his comments about short-hold tenancy's for council tenants was quite obviously made up at the spur of the moment with no regard for the fact that he is a coalition leader. What the **** is he going to say next?

Hes human, and humans make mistakes.

At least Cameron's mistakes (so far) have only been verbal ones, unlike the previous unelected incumbent who said he'd eliminate BOOM and BUST, but actually went through with causing BOOM and BUST.

And what about the previous incumbent before Brown? What happened to these so called weapons of mass destruction that we went to war for?

I can't see what the fuss is about. He probably thinks Iran do have a bomb, does it matter if he says so? If they don't have one they are certainly trying to obtain one to prevent themselves becoming the next Iraq.

These other "gaffes" appear to be him speaking his mind. The 1940 comment was very obviously a general reference to ww2. It is pretty obvious we were the junior partner once the US entered the war, despite Churchill's bluster.

We were not in a partnership at all in 1940. This was the real error in this statement.

Had he said 1942 would it really have made any difference.

Also parts of the Pakistani Government / Intelligence services are almost certainly helping the Taliban. Why shouldn't he call them out on it. Perhaps they should do something about it, rather than being offended.

And at least he does and can apologise. Although his gaff in the US was, nearly, unforgivable.

Attacking Pakistan was a serious mistake, the UK and its allies have invested heavily trying to stop a nuclear power tipping back to the Taliban and screwing it up will be expensive.

He is in a delicate coalition which will take skill to keep together, from what we are seeing we could end up with an early election and both coalition parties will have damaged their image and lost voters.

Say, Hello Labour.

Attacking Pakistan was a serious mistake, the UK and its allies have invested heavily trying to stop a nuclear power tipping back to the Taliban and screwing it up will be expensive.

He is in a delicate coalition which will take skill to keep together, from what we are seeing we could end up with an early election and both coalition parties will have damaged their image and lost voters.

Say, Hello Labour.

All the things he has said are true, he just seems to have forgot *when* he is suppose to say them. Mark my words.

I dunno - everyone slags New Labour off for using spin doctors to decide on 'the message' and repeat it like trained monkeys - you get a real person speaking off the cuff and you slag him off when he makes a mistake.

EVERYONE makes mistakes when they speak, hence the commonly heard expression 'that's not what I meant!'

Personally, I'd rather have someone like Cameron who, it strikes me, is honest and open - than the treacherous bunch of pavlovian dogs trained by Alistair Campbell that we used to have running the place.

I dunno - everyone slags New Labour off for using spin doctors to decide on 'the message' and repeat it like trained monkeys - you get a real person speaking off the cuff and you slag him off when he makes a mistake.

EVERYONE makes mistakes when they speak, hence the commonly heard expression 'that's not what I meant!'

Personally, I'd rather have someone like Cameron who, it strikes me, is honest and open - than the treacherous bunch of pavlovian dogs trained by Alistair Campbell that we used to have running the place.

+1... This is no surprise. Cameron stubs his toe and Labour supporters claim he is blind and unfit to run the country.

:rolleyes:

I can't see what the fuss is about. He probably thinks Iran do have a bomb, does it matter if he says so? snip

Yes it does...it shows he hasnt been lobotomised yet...the powers that be will expedite his injections.

No, but in truth, speaking his mind shows that this person is capable of justifying a course of action using propoganda, an action that could lead to a war killing thousands, if not millions, not based on facts, but based on a made up threat.

Go to Iran. I would lay a wager with any person here, that Iranians are hospitable, pleasant and wonderful people..just like every other nation on Earth.

Undermine the politicians with truth. no need to kill the people...truth will out the politicians....and that applies as much here as it does to our "enemies".

Remember...ONLY the USA has used the "Bomb".

Anyone who is in the public eye so much is bound to make these 'gaffes'.

I must have 10 of them a day but nobody cares.

A bit of honesty and a natural approach is infinitely preferable to a glossy toned down media message.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

At least Cameron's mistakes (so far) have only been verbal ones, unlike the previous unelected incumbent who said he'd eliminate BOOM and BUST, but actually went through with causing BOOM and BUST.

And what about the previous incumbent before Brown? What happened to these so called weapons of mass destruction that we went to war for?

You have to 'get with the programme'rolleyes.gif which is a left-inspired drip-drip-drip of criticisms of DC whenever he strays from the straight and narrow path, NLab. TOTALLY failed to come anywhere near to. Totally blinkered to the decade of huge blunders, spin and downright whopping lies of the NuLab. crew.

Guest KingCharles1st

Look-he has just had his first "training session" at the alter of the President of the United States- who knows what bullsheet he has been fed?

Now- people do have to realise that the dirty suitcase bomb thing is a very scary prospect. It is why Iran WILL suffer the airstrike sometime soon.

You have to 'get with the programme'rolleyes.gif which is a left-inspired drip-drip-drip of criticisms of DC whenever he strays from the straight and narrow path, NLab. TOTALLY failed to come anywhere near to. Totally blinkered to the decade of huge blunders, spin and downright whopping lies of the NuLab. crew.

Indeed, the Left HATE free thinkers voicing their thoughts.

Prior to the election everyone was moaning about the labour government. I have yet to hear anyone moaning about the new coalition. They must be doing something right.

I seem to remember Brown, during words of condolence before PMQ's describing the problem in Afghanistan with "improvised electronic devices."

Basically, it happens.

These other "gaffes" appear to be him speaking his mind. The 1940 comment was very obviously a general reference to ww2. It is pretty obvious we were the junior partner once the US entered the war, despite Churchill's bluster.

We were not in a partnership at all in 1940. This was the real error in this statement.

Had he said 1942 would it really have made any difference.

Well, technically in 1940 the US was extracting every bit of cash it could from the British Empire, which continued throughout 1940-41.

And, of course, although it was nice that - for both the UK and USSR - the US supplied vast numbers of trucks, transport aircraft food and other stuff so we could concentrate on weapons, it also just happened that come 1946 and weapons are no longer wanted, the US had a massive advantage in the civilian areas.

Well, technically in 1940 the US was extracting every bit of cash it could from the British Empire, which continued throughout 1940-41.

And, of course, although it was nice that - for both the UK and USSR - the US supplied vast numbers of trucks, transport aircraft food and other stuff so we could concentrate on weapons, it also just happened that come 1946 and weapons are no longer wanted, the US had a massive advantage in the civilian areas.

Yeah but they were our friends! :rolleyes:

I seem to remember the UK finally paid off its US debts for WW2 in about 2005 or 2006.

US domination was planned, wouldn't surprise me if they had a hand in the rise of Hitler as well, chaos in Europe suited them nicely.

Guest theboltonfury

Say, Hello Labour.

If every time you spoke, everything was pulled apart, you'd probably not fare well either.

At least he hasn't brought the country to its knees like his moron predecessor. He made a mistake in a speech. Big deal.

Maybe he didn;t make a mistake either!

Guest theboltonfury

Prior to the election everyone was moaning about the labour government. I have yet to hear anyone moaning about the new coalition. They must be doing something right.

Quite. Most people don't even mention the 'g' word anymore at all.

Have to say so far I've been very impressed.

He speaks his mind and clearly forms his own opinions.

Its about time we had a PM who fired from the hip (even if it is going to get him in hot water at some point).

I wouldn't say he's quite a Winston Churchill.. but it makes one hell of a change from some of the other saps we've had.

Have to say so far I've been very impressed.

He speaks his mind and clearly forms his own opinions.

Its about time we had a PM who fired from the hip (even if it is going to get him in hot water at some point).

I wouldn't say he's quite a Winston Churchill.. but it makes one hell of a change from some of the other saps we've had.

And he can probably 'charm the pants' off people when he needs to do so. The Eton education is good for many things (no VI)

actually I think he's been refreshingly candid.

I'd say it's about 95% certain that iran DOES have a couple of old soviet warheads stashed away.....how effective they will be is uncertain,they do have a shelf-life(half-life)

......but they will most definitely be used if they have them.

...which will most likely escalate what should be a small regional conflict into a big one between the regional sponsors(USA v RUSSIA),most likly just after that powder-keg in the middle east has been turned into charcoal briquettes.