House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yopino

Importing Gold And Silver Coins

Hi all,

If I were to buy coins abroad and took them with me into the UK, would that be a problem for custums? would they tax that for some reason?

To explain it a bit more, I work in the uk but have lived on the continent for most of my life and all my savings are over there in Euros. If I were to convert some of my savings in precious metals it would be easiest to buy it in euros over there but I am not sure what import issues there are...

cheers

yopino

Edited by yopino

Hi all,

If I were to buy coins abroad and took them with me into the UK, would that be a problem for custums? would they tax that for some reason?

To explain it a bit more, I work in the uk but have lived on the continent for most of my life and all my savings are over there in Euros. If I were to convert some of my savings in precious metals it would be easiest to buy it in euros over there but I am not sure what import issues there are...

cheers

yopino

Just drive to the UK with your coins. No one will even know you have them.

Not sure in the case of flying though.

If I were to buy coins abroad and took them with me into the UK, would that be a problem for custums? would they tax that for some reason? To explain it a bit more, I work in the uk but have lived on the continent for most of my life and all my savings are over there in Euros. If I were to convert some of my savings in precious metals it would be easiest to buy it in euros over there but I am not sure what import issues there are...

If you are bringing investment gold from Europe into the UK, there should not be a problem or any VAT payable. Here is a list of investment gold coins:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000108&propertyType=document#P57_5912

If you are bringing silver into the UK, then VAT is payable.

If you want to smuggle silver into the UK (not recommended), perhaps it's worth comparing prices here first:

http://www.silvercoinsbullion.co.uk/

Why bother with the risk of smuggling if you can get VAT free silver from Guernsey?

Generally speaking, I'd have the receipts with me while carrying the metal across the border and don't forget that sovereigns and brittanias are CGT exempt in the UK.