House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skirmish

Rules For An Egm

A little advice would be very much appreciated.

I am a member of a club that is going through quite a lot of turmoil. Tonight there will be an EGM called by the members. There is a single subject on the agenda that has been sent out to all members. Since then (30 days) events have moved on and some are now wanting other (related) matters to be discussed and indeed voted upon.

Can this happen or does the original agenda have to be stuck to? I am told by some that because it is the meeting called by the members that other subjects and votes can occur.

Any thoughts?

Guest absolutezero

I am a member of a club that is going through quite a lot of turmoil. Tonight there will be an EGM called by the members. There is a single subject on the agenda that has been sent out to all members. Since then (30 days) events have moved on and some are now wanting other (related) matters to be discussed and indeed voted upon.

Can this happen or does the original agenda have to be stuck to? I am told by some that because it is the meeting called by the members that other subjects and votes can occur.

Any thoughts?

Go. Say what you want to say. Do it under Any Other Business.

If people want to vote they'll force it so they get to vote.

If people aren't bothered then nobody will vote.

Guest X-QUORK

Sorry to be pedantic.

I'll respond to your post just to stop you killing the thread completely. ;)

Sorry Skirmish, no idea.

Model Aircraft club. And yes you're probably right that we should all take it a lot less serious. Unfortunately when strong willed people get involved things take on a momentum of their own.

Guest absolutezero

Model Aircraft club. And yes you're probably right that we should all take it a lot less serious. Unfortunately when strong willed people get involved things take on a momentum of their own.

Sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

If people feel strongly enough they'll have their debate and vote regardless of what the constitution says.

Any thoughts?

Depends on the articles of the club, read them before the meeting and quote if necessary.

Sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

If people feel strongly enough they'll have their debate and vote regardless of what the constitution says.

Have done. There are details regarding an AGM but not specifically for an EGM. I just wonder whether the EGM, because it has been requested by members and not the club officials, should be handled differently.

My interest in this is because I may well be asked to chair the meeting. The chairman and other officials have strong vested interests in the matters to be discussed so the members think I would be a totally impartial chairman. It may not come to that but I'd rather be prepared, just in case!

I would never have dreamed that a model aircraft club could ever have matters so pressing that they require an emergency general meeting.

The old adage from one of the Marx brothers applies : I would not want to be a member of any club that would accept people like me as a member.

just Blitz them with rules. itll just bomb out.

course, it might never take off and things just turn out terminal.

just Blitz them with rules. itll just bomb out.

course, it might never take off and things just turn out terminal.

I'd just wing it.

Hopefully it'll go OK, so you don't need to de fuselage argument.

Cabin crew and air traffic control on strike?

Well here is how it went.

The item on the agenda was discussed, an ammendment was added, it was voted on and unanimously approved. The chairman then said that as far as he was concerned the meeting had concluded it's business, packed his belongings and said goodbye and went.

The meeting obviously continued and many very useful matters were discussed.

Oh, and our policeman member had to officially warn one of the more hot headed members when he attacked someone.

Toy aeroplanes, who'd have thought it! :blink:

Well here is how it went.

The item on the agenda was discussed, an ammendment was added, it was voted on and unanimously approved. The chairman then said that as far as he was concerned the meeting had concluded it's business, packed his belongings and said goodbye and went.

The meeting obviously continued and many very useful matters were discussed.

Oh, and our policeman member had to officially warn one of the more hot headed members when he attacked someone.

Toy aeroplanes, who'd have thought it! :blink:

skymarshall in the audience?

New an 'old boy' in a RC model aircraft club once. He built beautiful and quite large biplanes from his own scale drawings. They all did.

They used to put on very well-attended shows in the evenings during the summer holidays. Dogfights involving several planes, smoke, bangs etc, and as a finale they used to open the hatches to release 'bombs' from their load bays over the crowds; the bombs were tubes of Smarties with small parachutes.

Great stuff. Now 30 years ago and no more.