House Price Crash Forum
Reck B

Thats More Like It.

Nice house and a nice drop in price. I don't like the way the interior has been modernised wiping out all the period features. I bet that had some lovely fireplaces originally.

Garage, gardens, looks nice, Only downside is the Grade II listing but every oyster has its grit.

Yours Reck B?

I might take a peek. Those multiple shower jets look ace. It really is the only house within a 5 mile radius of exeter which I would consider worth it's price.

About 1500m from the end of Exeter airport runway. Not a major international one I'll grant you, but they have holiday resort jets flying out of there. And council tax band E - eek!

Edit - did a search, £1856 p.a.

Edited by deflation

This is good to see. Can anyone post any more examples before this gets moved to anecdotals?

Garage, gardens, looks nice, Only downside is the Grade II listing but every oyster has its grit.

Yours Reck B?

They're all listed if they're older than a certain age...

HHAHAHH

zoom out on the map. Nice location for the airport. :)

http://flightradar24.com/

to see how busy the airport is. I know it's not going to be like Manchester though.

Edited by SarahBell

4 bed thatched cottage in East Devon, £80k drop from £330k to £250k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15240099.html

But less than 1 mile from Exeter "International" Airport. OK, probably not really noisy.

But no floor plan, and no internal area - sq ft/meters nothing. :angry: Primitive.

Can't spot the house on the map.

250K begins to look sensible for that property.

I cant evaluate a property if I don't know its internal area and the plot size. Why don't they publish this data??? EAs are Neanderthals.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Still 10x local wages! That's no bargain and Exeter Airport is due for expansion too.

It is clearly not an average house though. I can tell this even though I am not from the area. So not really fair to compare the average wage.

However let us take double the local average wage instead. This house is 5 times that. So even for someone earning twice the local average it is vastly overpriced.

It is a start and slightly less ridiculous than recently - but hardly too much to get excited about.

150-175k for that would seem reasonable IMO.

Guest Noodle

It is clearly not an average house though. I can tell this even though I am not from the area. So not really fair to compare the average wage.

However let us take double the local average wage instead. This house is 5 times that. So even for someone earning twice the local average it is vastly overpriced.

It is a start and slightly less ridiculous than recently - but hardly too much to get excited about.

150-175k for that would seem reasonable IMO.

£250k is about right. How much do you reckon has been spent on that to reach it in that condition?

It's in Devon. It's authentic. It's not a pokey new build slave box. Some properties will always be a lot of money.

£250k is about right. How much do you reckon has been spent on that to reach it in that condition?

It's in Devon. It's authentic. It's not a pokey new build slave box. Some properties will always be a lot of money.

I would agree on that. I don't have much comps to look at but I would give them 8 out of 10 for effort on the revamp. All in all going the right way. Patience, patience.

I hate thatched houses.. or rather I hate the idea of them looking good for a few years, average for a few years, then another 5-10yrs of it looking grubby thinking "Oh dear, that's going to need doing soon", and the big bill that comes with it.

Guest Noodle

I hate thatched houses.. or rather I hate the idea of them looking good for a few years, average for a few years, then another 5-10yrs of it looking grubby thinking "Oh dear, that's going to need doing soon", and the big bill that comes with it.

I have this carcinogenic habit of coating anything that may rot with copious volumes of insecticide and creosote.

I'd probably varnish that too.

I cant evaluate a property if I don't know its internal area and the plot size. Why don't they publish this data??? EAs are Neanderthals.

The room dimensions are on the listing. Get your calculator are out if you're interested. Some listings don't even have that.

No double glazing, grade II listed so probably cost a bomb, if allowed at all. This is Pound Cottage, Furze cottage sold for £390k in Dec 2005. It could of course be massive compared to this one, but you may be right that £250k is about right, it hasn't sold though, so it isn't.

Guest Noodle

The room dimensions are on the listing. Get your calculator are out if you're interested. Some listings don't even have that.

No double glazing, grade II listed so probably cost a bomb, if allowed at all. This is Pound Cottage, Furze cottage sold for £390k in Dec 2005. It could of course be massive compared to this one, but you may be right that £250k is about right, it hasn't sold though, so it isn't.

And there's the rub, it really is telling, a while back that would be sold STC within a day. How long has this been on the market?

You can get double glazing for these. Friend of a friend had it done, oak frames, triple glazing, Hungarian firm I think . . . cost half the price of uPVC from the local windows people.

Still 10x local wages! That's no bargain and Exeter Airport is due for expansion too.

:lol:

is this an average house?

seriously I think you have been hpc'd............

How much were these in 2002 in similar condition ? Whatever that number is is about correct. Anyone have an idea ?

Who cares if it is in Devon - wages there are paltry. Some places will always be a lot of money - I totally agree. However a quarter of a million for a nice looking house that will be mega expensive to keep, in an area with poor wages ? Still insane IMO. Perhaps 150k is a little low, 250k is definitely overprices. 200k may be more reasonable.

:lol:

is this an average house?

seriously I think you have been hpc'd............

You are quite right. But as I said before - even at twice the average local wage - which must put you in the top 10 or 5 percentile ? It is still expensive.