House Price Crash Forum
frugalboy

Msw Explaining In Ft Why She Bought...

Apologies if this has already been posted but I had a quick look and couldn't find anything. Her logic seems sound - they intend to stay for a long time and they can afford it - and no doubt the decision was hastened by the pregnancy.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a17697e2-9ab0-11df-87e6-00144feab49a.html

Probably regretting now. I won't be investing just want the smallest debt possible to give me the best quality of life.

Did you get that?

Matthew. Matthew Sinclair. Matthew. Saint Property. Shall I repeat the web address in case you've lost it already?

Think Phil Spencer but with a Scottish accent.

Matthew.

Matthew.

Matthew.

His name's Matthew.

It's a funny old world eh.

"all buyers need someone on their side, whether they are spending £400,000 or £4m. Get a good agent and they should be worth every penny of the 1-2 per cent they cost."

Couldn't agree more.

Did you get that?

Matthew. Matthew Sinclair. Matthew. Saint Property. Shall I repeat the web address in case you've lost it already?

^This

It's either a personal-favour puff-piece, or she got a hefty discount from him in exchange, or she paid out the full whack and now needs to justify it (to herself)

Edited by Mal Volio

This is hilarious, not only has the poster girl for HPC gone and bought (a very expensive) house, (no mention of 30% of peak prices or anything, I notice), in doing so she writes a puff piece for Scotlands answer to Phil Spencer (as if paying him upwards of £15K wasn't reward enough). You lot must be livid

Ah, so she does live in Edinburgh. I was in a charity bookshop last year and glanced inside a Japanese dictionary. Inside the front cover was written "Merryn Somerset Webb". I was tempted to buy it and auction it off to her fans on here, or perhaps offer it as a competition prize

I'm suprised that she named the street she lives on, it's quite easy to find out details of sales and infer which address she lives at. She'll be surrounded by HPC stalkers if she's not careful.

I'm suprised that she named the street she lives on, it's quite easy to find out details of sales and infer which address she lives at. She'll be surrounded by HPC stalkers if she's not careful.

I'll post some photos later.

Edit. I can't say I found the article terribly edifying, but I rather admire the fact that she told us the name of the street. A lot of people seem to feel that if they reveal the merest hint of where they live then they'll immediately be targeted by perverts and thieves, whereas in reality the risk is practically zero.

Edited by Scunnered

This is hilarious, not only has the poster girl for HPC gone and bought (a very expensive) house, (no mention of 30% of peak prices or anything, I notice), in doing so she writes a puff piece for Scotlands answer to Phil Spencer (as if paying him upwards of £15K wasn't reward enough). You lot must be livid

Never mind, when interest rates hit 20% and she gets repossessed she can come nest in my shared rental :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Dorkins

I can never get my head around that she was(still is) part of the City mafia!

1993: Works as an institutional broker for SBC Warburg

1998: Begins writing on finance for The Week, returning to the City a year later

2000: MoneyWeek launches

I presume it's one of these two:

2 Windsor Street,

Edinburgh,

Midlothian,

EH7 5JR

£417,300

Sold: 08-Sep-2009

13 Windsor Street,

Edinburgh,

Midlothian,

EH7 5LA

£935,000

Sold: 12-May-2009

If it was No 2, someone did a quick twig in vase trick or 'modernised' it, just over 25% mark-up in 18 months:

2 Windsor Street,

Edinburgh,

£329,000

Sold: 14-Feb-2008

Edited to add: More digging shows No 2 may be converted flats since it appears a lot in sales! I'm no expert agent either, postcode finder and a house price website took 5 mins. I doubt she gave the actual street she now lives in, did she?

Edited by deflation

If I was a cynic I'd say she's been taking a contrarian view to the property VI's just to gain a bigger profile and get more work for herself. The article iteslf is total ars* gravy.

^This

It's either a personal-favour puff-piece, or she got a hefty discount from him in exchange, or she paid out the full whack and now needs to justify it (to herself)

You could be right, but it's also possible that she just needed to say something to maintain her credibility. Also, like a lot of exhausted bears, it seems she just got tired of waiting, she had the money and having a baby on the way tends to throw the cold hard logic of financial mathematics out the window.

What is everybodys problem with her buying a property, she did speak out many times about the over inflated house bubble and the amount of money people had borrowed,and the maddness this had led to. However she is a very clever woman who can no dought afford this house , she would not be buying it otherwise.

I could understand people having a dig if she was taking out a 6x salary liar loan , saying it will be worth more next year and urging everyone else to buy as well. But she is not she is buying a house she can afford to raise a family in ( is that not what most HPC's want ) .

Good luck to her , her husband and the baby on the way.

I think the baby must be over 12 months old now. Her wiki entry said she went on maternity leave in Dec 2008. I've amended the entry to reference the article highlighted by the OP but don't know how to do a hyperlink on there. Still it's more up to date now anyway.

What is everybodys problem with her buying a property, she did speak out many times about the over inflated house bubble and the amount of money people had borrowed,and the maddness this had led to. However she is a very clever woman who can no dought afford this house , she would not be buying it otherwise.

I could understand people having a dig if she was taking out a 6x salary liar loan , saying it will be worth more next year and urging everyone else to buy as well. But she is not she is buying a house she can afford to raise a family in ( is that not what most HPC's want ) .

No dought (sic) you are right, but I doubt that most people on here have a problem with her buying a home.

Bugger me, MSW lives in Hillside. I walk past there most days.

She'll be surrounded by HPC stalkers if she's not careful.

I'm sure she can get some of the security from the Ukrainian Consulate to move on any mouthbreathing HPC - ers!

Article is one of those that is best forgotten, mind....

So, am I the only one uncomfortable with the online stalking... you have worked out her possible address, the approximate age of her baby...

What next - her favourite dessert an sexual position?

Come on people, MSW must be somewhere between amused and horrified reading this thread.

Er, "I vowed I would never spend another January in it."

So, the great and fancied MSW also succumbs to hormones. There's nothing wrong with buying a house when you can afford it like she clearly can. But it's just rubbish boot licking writing trying to justify it.

So, am I the only one uncomfortable with the online stalking... you have worked out her possible address, the approximate age of her baby...

Come on people, MSW must be somewhere between amused and horrified reading this thread.

Correect me if I am wrong.

She wuite willingly, and let's not forget for money, told the public her possible address and approximate age of her baby ?

Nobody stalked her. She wanted people to know. If she didn't she would not take money to publish thjis info in newspapers would she...

As for the street she lives in ? Poor choice IMO. Yes close to Town but then is that really what she is looking for with young child in tow ? Nice houses, but still terraces. Very close to some SERIOUS scum in the area. Going to have lots of very drunk very loud people walking very close to her house most nights of the week.

She already told us all about her favourite cakes. "When we arrived I took a quick look around, started to cry and had to be taken to a coffee shop and given several cupcakes before I could begin to cope", "This time it took chocolate cake from Leith Walk’s best deli, Valvona & Crolla, before I was calm."

Let's hope it's amusement. It is slightly disturbing that people can find out this kind of information so easily, but really, so what? The information that's been posted here could be found in a few minutes by anyone that cared enough to look. But is it at all likely that anything untoward will happen? With all due respect to Ms Webb, the number of people who have ever heard of her is probably pretty minuscule.

Edited by Scunnered

She already told us all about her favourite cakes. "When we arrived I took a quick look around, started to cry and had to be taken to a coffee shop and given several cupcakes before I could begin to cope", "This time it took chocolate cake from Leith Walk’s best deli, Valvona & Crolla, before I was calm."

I think that's what annoys me about this article. She's supposed to be one of the bear-gurus who see the light, yet writes this tosh that belongs in "Take A Break" or the Mail.