House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Hospital Trust To Slash Jobs In £60M Drive - 600 Jobs Face Axe

FTSE 250, many many sectors. Basically dependent on government contracts. Employs several thousand all over the country. Survived well due to the first two rounds of redundancies, but clearly is getting ready for the big hit in October. Sorry I cannot give you more than that.

Best of luck.

Guest absolutezero

FTSE 250, many many sectors. Basically dependent on government contracts. Employs several thousand all over the country. Survived well due to the first two rounds of redundancies, but clearly is getting ready for the big hit in October. Sorry I cannot give you more than that.

Some private sector casualties of Government cuts. Or do you not believe that either Mr Spin?

Some private sector casualties of Government cuts. Or do you not believe that either Mr Spin?

Apparently one of the direct competitors is also cutting severely. I haven't got any percentages just yet, but it is likely to be of the same order of magnitude. It is going on in the private sector, I just can't seen much going on yet in the public sector.

Apparently one of the direct competitors is also cutting severely. I haven't got any percentages just yet, but it is likely to be of the same order of magnitude. It is going on in the private sector, I just can't seen much going on yet in the public sector.

They have these 90 day consultations so I think it will be the Autumn before we hear anything major from the public sector.

Don't forget, many of these are Labour Councils having to fire people or places like Wales and Scotland where Labour is mainly in power - the last thing they want to do is to unravel Brown's stuff so they will twist and delay as long as possible.

But they are coming.

I could take you on a tour of my local Town Hall and show you hundreds of people who think it might be them who are jobless come January.

I would imagine those who think their job is a doddle are worried...and so they should be.

You have to wonder at any rumour that is "P45s are printed and ready to go" It is not possible to print P45s in advance as anyone who has anything to do with payroll knows very well.

As to public sector being very well trained, getting an A in diversity training doesnt make you employable. Quite the opposite in fact.

You have to wonder at any rumour that is "P45s are printed and ready to go" It is not possible to print P45s in advance as anyone who has anything to do with payroll knows very well.

As to public sector being very well trained, getting an A in diversity training doesnt make you employable. Quite the opposite in fact.

Doesn't it?

I have never done this training; despite it being a rule that you have to do it. When I am asked if I have done it I (brace yourself) lie and say I have a couple of years ago. I'm not a fan of diversity; what's good about fragmentation?

Agree about P45s; I presume this actually means that they have a list of people that they are making redundant and have costed it up.

You'd be wrong then to some degree. It's not all talk and jobs ARE going, granted some through natural wastage etc but there are redundancies coming.

Fair enough, I just expect the easy options will be the ones that are taken.

I have some reasons why I think actual cuts in the public are going to be much lower than the headline "20-40%" budget cuts would suggest.

1. Timescales - There isn't much time in a 4/5 year parliament to make 500K+ people redundant and then get re-elected.

2. Political - This coalition will crumble under mass union walkouts. It's simply not strong enough.

3. Unions - It's politically easier to get rid of private sector contracts than fight the unions.

4. Anecdotes - Friend A in the NHS reports people getting their bank (optional) hours cut rather than actual job losses

- Friend B offered a job by Cambs police, finally after being accepted nearly two years ago. They just rescinded the offer. He has been doing temp bar work for 2 years waiting for that "promised" job.

- Friend C in the private sector doing work for the govt says their contract is not being renewed

5. Media - Notice how quiet its gone about public sector cutbacks

The on-the-ground evidence I see so far is that natural wastage, reduction in hours/overtime and reduction in private sector contracts is the primary driver for cutbacks. This is the politicians easy option and they are taking it. Maybe that's all they can do before the October spending review.