House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fraggler

May & June Traditionally Best House Sales Period..!

Data from land registry, 2010 :-

HP16

Jan - Sold - 8

Feb - Sold - 9

Mar - Sold - 10

Apr - Sold - 10

May - Sold - 10

June - Sold - 8

HP16 was selling 258 a year at peak 2006 and in fact sold 180 last year, looks like it will be lucky to get to 100 total this year but still no significant prices reductions....????

HP22

Jan - Sold - 32

Feb - Sold - 13

Mar - Sold - 31

Apr - Sold - 34

May - Sold - 23

Jun - Sold -14

HP9

Jan - Sold - 13

Feb - Sold - 25

Mar - Sold - 25

Apr - Sold - 22

May - Sold - 17

June - Sold - 7

Not the best sales figures for what is traditionally the best couple of months of the year (May & June) but still the majority of houses massively overpriced in the South Bucks region...it can't carry on like this can it...?

Perhaps it's too soon for all the registrations for the later months to have been completed yet.

That's true don't think all the June data would available yet. Hence the revisions every month.

Data from land registry, 2010 :-

HP16

Jan - Sold - 8

Feb - Sold - 9

Mar - Sold - 10

Apr - Sold - 10

May - Sold - 10

June - Sold - 8

HP16 was selling 258 a year at peak 2006 and in fact sold 180 last year, looks like it will be lucky to get to 100 total this year but still no significant prices reductions....????

Why would you expect significant price reductions just because sales volumes have gone down? Most people on the market will just be taking a punt to see if they can still get peak price for their house. If they can't they will take it off the market and assume it will go up again next year!

I'd only expect prices to come down significantly when there are masses of forced sellers out there, and we are not quite there yet.

Why would you expect significant price reductions just because sales volumes have gone down? Most people on the market will just be taking a punt to see if they can still get peak price for their house. If they can't they will take it off the market and assume it will go up again next year!

I'd only expect prices to come down significantly when there are masses of forced sellers out there, and we are not quite there yet.

I don't agree with this. People put their house on the Market because they want to sell for all sorts of reasons; more space needed due to expanding families, hate the area, move closer to work, or whatever. Very few I'd say are just 'testing the market' maybe the odd downsizer would do this. Over the last 3 years many people have done just what you have said despite it being a complete fallacy. This has served to create three years of pent up supply of people who are getting more and more desperate to move. I believe this is why we are seeing such as surge in properties lately. Forget hips this began in Febuary.

Sooner or later people should start to realise that as prices drop the houses they are looking at buying are dropping and so they can accept a lower price for their own house and pay less for upsizing! Only people who bought within the last 5 years or MEWed to excess will be stuck with NE. Most can drop considerably and be better off.

I don't agree with this. People put their house on the Market because they want to sell for all sorts of reasons; more space needed due to expanding families, hate the area, move closer to work, or whatever. Very few I'd say are just 'testing the market' maybe the odd downsizer would do this. Over the last 3 years many people have done just what you have said despite it being a complete fallacy. This has served to create three years of pent up supply of people who are getting more and more desperate to move. I believe this is why we are seeing such as surge in properties lately. Forget hips this began in Febuary.

Sooner or later people should start to realise that as prices drop the houses they are looking at buying are dropping and so they can accept a lower price for their own house and pay less for upsizing! Only people who bought within the last 5 years or MEWed to excess will be stuck with NE. Most can drop considerably and be better off.

True, I was being too simplistic.

I agree that most people will put their houses on the market with the genuine intention to sell, but I think that a very high proportion of them will lose interest when they find that they cannot acheive the peak price for it any more.

I know someone who had to move to another part of the country for a new job at the start of this year. The house went on the market at about 10% above peak price, didn't sell, so after about four months they decided to rent it out and move into rented up north. If it were me, I'd probably have sold lower and bought/rented lower in the new area, but I reckon that there are a lot of people who won't take a cut in the perceived 'value' of their house unless they REALLY have to.