House Price Crash Forum

Next Sees Its Sales Hang By A Thread

HOLA441
HOLA442

The market is 'stunned' again - unbelievable, who would have thought money doesn't grow on trees.

I think the VAT increase is one of the biggest mistakes the ConDems have made. We are likely to see one last blow-out come Christmas and then the high street will become a ghost town.

By which time I suspect the hpc will be in full swing, the cuts will be biting and flames will be licking around the country... Welcome to hell, it's UK shaped...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

A decade ago NEXT had some reasonable stuff, today the quality is simply appalling.

Primark tat at M&S prices.

I'm amazed they're still standing.

Indeed - i find NEXT is one to avoid these days. The quality of the clothes and the price just dont match up.

HOLA4410

Just like DFS only without the sofas...

Thats TM Lewin - the DFS of shirts - constant once only all year round sale on :rolleyes: - 5 (supposedly good quality shirts) for £100 this morning.... (I walk past at least 3 of their outlets every morning)

HOLA4411

Indeed - i find NEXT is one to avoid these days. The quality of the clothes and the price just dont match up.

They've gone too high fashion.

The girls clothes for over age 6 are mostly impractical for everyday use, and have a 'mini hooker' look to them.

As for the 'ladies'wear. :rolleyes:

My heart sank when I was given a Next voucher for my birthday. 8-10 years ago I bought a lot of stuff there, but not now.

Edited by mitchbux

HOLA4412

Put prices up then have bigger/longer discount sales where people can get a "bargain"?

Nobody shops in Next in Cardiff except at the sale. When the sale is on, the shop is filled with sale rails - there are hardly any full-price clothes on the shop floor.

Once they're 70% reduced, some of the classic things aren't too bad and if you choose your items carefully the material and stitching last longer than Primark and Peacocks. I buy black skirts, white blouses, the occasional black jacket - work clothes for me and my daughter.

HOLA4413

Nobody shops in Next in Cardiff except at the sale. When the sale is on, the shop is filled with sale rails - there are hardly any full-price clothes on the shop floor.

Once they're 70% reduced, some of the classic things aren't too bad and if you choose your items carefully the material and stitching last longer than Primark and Peacocks. I buy black skirts, white blouses, the occasional black jacket - work clothes for me and my daughter.

Depressing colours.

HOLA4414

Do shops or indeed any business normally announce they are making across the board price increases? I can imagine a journalist could find it out in the small print of annual reports, catalogues etc but it seems odd they make a big announcement in this way. I wonder if it's an attempt to bring forward future spending in the same way the government is doing with the VAT increase?

HOLA4415

Depressing colours.

Daughter has to wear plain black and plain white in school, plus I'm hoping to get her into waitressing (it's a good job for educated girls these days, I'll have you know).

As for me, black goes with white goes with black, as long as it's clean and ironed if necessary, just throw on any two or three items (depending on weather) on a work day and no-one can complain you're not smart enough.

On my own time, I wear mainly shades of turquoise, jade and purple, sometimes all at the same time. With lots of jewellery and matching specs.

HOLA4416

Daughter has to wear plain black and plain white in school, plus I'm hoping to get her into waitressing (it's a good job for educated girls these days, I'll have you know).

As for me, black goes with white goes with black, as long as it's clean and ironed if necessary, just throw on any two or three items (depending on weather) on a work day and no-one can complain you're not smart enough.

On my own time, I wear mainly shades of turquoise, jade and purple, sometimes all at the same time. With lots of jewellery and matching specs.

Is mumsnet experiencing technical difficulties?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

NEXT is still better quality than ASDA for very young kid's clothes.

Our first kid was kitted out in a mixture of NEXT and ASDA. Pretty much all of the NEXT clothes have survived to be handed down to his younger brother, only a few of the ASDA clothes made it that far.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

A decade ago NEXT had some reasonable stuff, today the quality is simply appalling.

Primark tat at M&S prices.

I'm amazed they're still standing.

Exactly why I stopped buying in M & S - their marketing bullshite carries on the brainwashing (on the back of an old 'good' reputation) but their clothes fall to pieces 4 times faster!

Serves them right for shutting down all those Blitish mills and buying in foreign, cheap tat!

HOLA4423

What colour undies do you wear ?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

They can whack uptheir prices if they like...just means people wont shjop there.

How much are asda price Jeans compared to Next Jeans ?

If you're skint you're skint.

Azda's (or Azder's if you speak westcountry) jeans are tough quality and £4.

BTW I went to my local Homebase today :o its closed down.