House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

8/10 Toddlers Don't Get Enough Iron

Am I paying too much attention to TV ads?

Or does 8/10 toddlers not gettting enough iron mean that 8/10 toddlers' brains are not developing and we're producing idiots?

Am I paying too much attention to TV ads?

Or does 8/10 toddlers not gettting enough iron mean that 8/10 toddlers' brains are not developing and we're producing idiots?

Sounds like another case for Mumsnet ;)

BTW - who produced the research? Often it's some VI baby milk manufacturer.

:rolleyes:

Here we go again.

I'm not a mumsnetter.

I wanted the wise thoughts of my fellow HPCers.

Given the number of times a day this site uses the word sheeple I'd have thought this was backing up the iron theory.

Guest X-QUORK

I'm not a mumsnetter.

I wanted the wise thoughts of my fellow HPCers.

Given the number of times a day this site uses the word sheeple I'd have thought this was backing up the iron theory.

It's just bad timing Sarah, there's already been a bit of a dingdong over breastfeeding.

When doing a community placement a colleague was with a Health Visitor in SE London.

They went to do a routine xx week/month assessment on a child in a "caaaancil" tower block. When they got in they found the child with asthma sat on a filty carpet surrounded by oily motorcycle parts eating a bowl of cheesy wotsits with milk for it's breakfast, and the obligatory chain smoking parents neither of whom had worked for a very long time. They also asked why their child was sickly!

That child almost certainly wasn't getting enough iron I'd hazard a guess.

It's just bad timing Sarah, there's already been a bit of a dingdong over breastfeeding.

I saw someone moaning about mumsnetters and thought I'd add to the fun ...

But seriously - sheeple are being bred by poor nutrition...

Guest X-QUORK

But seriously - sheeple are being bred by poor nutrition...

What's the source for this 8 out of 10 figure? Sounds like rubbish to me.

What's the source for this 8 out of 10 figure? Sounds like rubbish to me.

Its on a tv ad, from cow and gate:

http://www.cowandgat...=COW660_BigIron

The 'calculator', appears to be BS as it doesnt ask you how much the toddler eats of each item. I ran it on myself and I'm not getting enough iron, but Im pretty sure I am... I either need to drink more breast milk, or buy there follow on milk...

When doing a community placement a colleague was with a Health Visitor in SE London.

They went to do a routine xx week/month assessment on a child in a "caaaancil" tower block. When they got in they found the child with asthma sat on a filty carpet surrounded by oily motorcycle parts eating a bowl of cheesy wotsits with milk for it's breakfast, and the obligatory chain smoking parents neither of whom had worked for a very long time. They also asked why their child was sickly!

That child almost certainly wasn't getting enough iron I'd hazard a guess.

God, it must be so depressing, seeing sights like that. The poor little kids are doomed from birth.

There's also been the q of 'muesli belt' mothers, obsessed with 'all fat = bad' who deprive young children of fats, too.

Which are also essential for proper brain development.

God, it must be so depressing, seeing sights like that. The poor little kids are doomed from birth.

There's also been the q of 'muesli belt' mothers, obsessed with 'all fat = bad' who deprive young children of fats, too.

Eggs. You can't beat a good egg: Protein (all the essential amino acids), fats & a pile of useful vitamins (A, B2, B6, B9, B12) plus iron & all sorts of other useful stuff.

Just don't eat them every day + then sit around on your backside: that's the short path to Type II diabetes I'm told.

It is, but the really depressing thing is the stark realisation that after you've assessed the parent's capacity to learn and tailored the health education properly, delivered it and then sometime later find out that they ignore the advice. We can't force people to change their behaviours unless it's a full-on social services involvement type issue you see.

Some people do respond and help their kids out and that's a very good result for the HP's involved, but unfortunately a lot are more concerned with collecting their dole/drinking alcohol/watching tv/smoking than they are about such matters. There's little community reinforcement or role-models out there so when you've gone, there's not a lot out there to jog people into action. Out of sight, out of mind, back to square one.

There's a lot of sociology/psychology on the subject of healthy behaviours and whilst I'm firmly in the "hard" scientific camp of healthcare sciences there is a lot of truth in the somewhat lefty propositions of "soft" science.

Anyway entirely OT and X-Q is right, this iron stuff is clearly a VI opinion and nothing more credible than that.

Babies are born with iron stored in their bodies. Because they grow rapidly, infants and children need to absorb an average of 1 mg of iron per day.

Since children only absorb about 10% of the iron they eat, most children need to receive 8-10 mg of iron per day. Breastfed babies need less, because iron is absorbed 3 times better when it is in breast milk.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Eggs. You can't beat a good egg: Protein (all the essential amino acids), fats & a pile of useful vitamins (A, B2, B6, B9, B12) plus iron & all sorts of other useful stuff.

Just don't eat them every day + then sit around on your backside: that's the short path to Type II diabetes I'm told.

I frequently beat a good egg.rolleyes.gif Agreed about the nurtritional vlaue. Eggs are under-rated as they are a marvellous food and many tall tales about them don't bear out. for eg. the yolk HAS fat but it is a heart-healthy fat, they now tell us after years of scaring us witless about eating eggs.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Yes. few of the mothers today would actually realise that the brain is MADE of FAT. Fatty tissue. That's why we need eggs, oily fish and stuff like that to feed the brain cells

Those kids described above. Doesn't your heart just bleed for them?sad.gif

I don't know why they don't put kids like that up for adoption. It'd save the country a fortune in health bills all their lives and they'd have a much happier life with someone who really cares about them.

[/b]

I don't know why they don't put kids like that up for adoption. It'd save tbe country a fortune in health bills all their lives and they'd have a much happier life with someone who really cares about them.

Yep. We must be the only species on this planet that actively encourages it's own to be as weak and dependent as possible. It's ******ing mental.

It WILL all end in tears. There is no doubt about that. Just how is the only question IMO.

ratio would be even higher under vego and vegan loon parents

people not feeding their kids meat because they may find it hard to chew and digest? maybe some sausage instead of steak luv