House Price Crash Forum
JMcLane

Is Rightmove Upto No Good And Not Listing Properties? Or Are The Ea's Not Listing On Rm?

Hey folks.

Is Rightmove upto no good and not listing properties? Or are the EA's not listing on RM? Is there a degree of statistic manipulation going on here I wonder.... maybe I have a messed up search pattern.

When I search RM for homes in the area http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Watford.html/svr/1706?sortByPriceDescending=true&minPrice=130000&maxPrice=300000&minBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on it appears that nothing is coming on so to speak.

When I look at zoopla http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/houses/hertfordshire/watford/?price_max=300000&q=watford&include_sold=true&radius=0&results_sort=newest_listings I see lots of homes on a daily basis.

Have I done something wrong or is the suggested property-bee plugin playing tricks on me.

If it really has a "bohemian grove vibe" to it, has anyone else noticed the lack of new homes on RM as well?

I would love it to be true and it would reinforce any feelings I have about the market.

Thanks folks

Hey folks.

Is Rightmove upto no good and not listing properties? Or are the EA's not listing on RM? Is there a degree of statistic manipulation going on here I wonder.... maybe I have a messed up search pattern.

When I search RM for homes in the area http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Watford.html/svr/1706?sortByPriceDescending=true&minPrice=130000&maxPrice=300000&minBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on it appears that nothing is coming on so to speak.

When I look at zoopla http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/houses/hertfordshire/watford/?price_max=300000&q=watford&include_sold=true&radius=0&results_sort=newest_listings I see lots of homes on a daily basis.

Have I done something wrong or is the suggested property-bee plugin playing tricks on me.

If it really has a "bohemian grove vibe" to it, has anyone else noticed the lack of new homes on RM as well?

I would love it to be true and it would reinforce any feelings I have about the market.

Thanks folks

Your rightmove search is for 'anytime'.

Try 'last 3 days' and over 18 new props are listed. In 3 days.....

Your rightmove search is for 'anytime'.

Try 'last 3 days' and over 18 new props are listed. In 3 days.....

Ok thanks I see that, I was just about to burn an owl. Zoopla has more properties than RM as well, does that mean zoopla is lazy removing?

20 miles from central London ? The more I see prices in those neck of the woods the more I realise Edinburgh must have some of the most overpriced houses in the UK. (Not including inner nice areas of London of course)

I have always been of the opinion that my local EAs only put a house on there that they know is difficult to sell or one which has been on their books for a certain period of time.

No proof of this, just a gut feeling. Why would you advertise otherwise unless, of course, you are charging for a web listing and making a nice profit from doing so?

I was about to post a thread asking which website people find most properties on - RM, Zoopla, Primelocation or just your own local EA sites.

Quite a few firms in my area never list on RM as far as I can tell and I tend not to view their websites so I have little or no idea what they have for sale.

20 miles from central London ? The more I see prices in those neck of the woods the more I realise Edinburgh must have some of the most overpriced houses in the UK. (Not including inner nice areas of London of course)

It's funny isn't it. Living in Bristol near a train station, you could buy a similar house for 100k less and still get into Central London nearly as quickly. And Bristol's very overpriced.

I know that moaning about London is fast becoming my motto, like "liar loans" or "Gold's crashing again", but really, does living just within the M25 really really all that fantastic?

I have always been of the opinion that my local EAs only put a house on there that they know is difficult to sell or one which has been on their books for a certain period of time.

No proof of this, just a gut feeling. Why would you advertise otherwise unless, of course, you are charging for a web listing and making a nice profit from doing so?

I was about to post a thread asking which website people find most properties on - RM, Zoopla, Primelocation or just your own local EA sites.

Quite a few firms in my area never list on RM as far as I can tell and I tend not to view their websites so I have little or no idea what they have for sale.

rightmove charge a fixed monthly fee per estate agent. it does depend on number of offices etc - but there is no extra charge PER property - so listing additional properties on rightmove would not cost them more or save them anything by omitting them.

also - most estate agency software automatically lists and indeed part of the rightmove setting up cost is to implement the linking of their internal database into rightmove.

You will see agencies that don't use rightmove at all of course - they simply can't afford it.

the sooner they all get with the program and realise that market velocity is their friend and NOT high prices they can go back to earning money for old rope.

An estate agent should make money in climbing and falling markets, but they've been so busy buying their own "property only goes up" - that they can't see that without changing that basic premise they will go bust.

It's funny isn't it. Living in Bristol near a train station, you could buy a similar house for 100k less and still get into Central London nearly as quickly. And Bristol's very overpriced.

I know that moaning about London is fast becoming my motto, like "liar loans" or "Gold's crashing again", but really, does living just within the M25 really really all that fantastic?

Well. From here via harrow, greenford, hounslow = 15 miles = 1hr+

From here around M25, M4, A4 = 32 miles = 1hr+

you make bristol seem like an option, dont forget to add "and so it begins" to your list of mottos.

Doubt it. However if it is your home, you come from there and friends and family are all about ? I can understand why people stay there for this reason.

I am actually more surprised at how close the prices are in outside London compared to some other places in the UK.

rightmove charge a fixed monthly fee per estate agent. it does depend on number of offices etc - but there is no extra charge PER property - so listing additional properties on rightmove would not cost them more or save them anything by omitting them.

also - most estate agency software automatically lists and indeed part of the rightmove setting up cost is to implement the linking of their internal database into rightmove.

Not sure about that - I was told there is a limit as to how many properties they are allowed to put on? I have seen agents who list some properties on thier website but not on RM, and then swap them later on.

I'm in a similar area to the OP and have seen places finding their way onto Rightmove only when the property goes to U/O or SSTC. One place I walk past daily had the board outside for a few weeks but only appeared on Rightmove once it had gone SSTC.

Doesn't look like you can rely solely on Rightmove for certain EAs around us.

There is a glitch with Rightmove however, properties added "today" often don't show up when "added in the last 24hrs" is selected but they show up when "added in the last 3 days" is selected.

An estate agent should make money in climbing and falling markets, but they've been so busy buying their own "property only goes up" - that they can't see that without changing that basic premise they will go bust.

IMO, at least Allen & Harris in Abingdon knows this.

Thanks everyone for the input on this. Am I right in saying RM provide stats on the monthly housing movements? Some people in this thread mentioned they have seen EA's not putting homes on RM, does this distort the figures into a more positive light? Maybe there are far more properties for sale than on RM and thus misleading.... maybe I am getting this all wrong and should buy a home and stfu :)

Not quite, as there is always a significant speculative froth on top of the property market, well I say froth, but the housing market now seems to be almost entirely supported by cash buyers wanting a safe haven.

More weirdness. Why would you list a property twice on RM, both with different changes on differing days and the same agent?

The same property below. Not somewhere I would buy but it falls in the price search terms.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30223787.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27204946.html

More weirdness. Why would you list a property twice on RM, both with different changes on differing days and the same agent?

The same property below. Not somewhere I would buy but it falls in the price search terms.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30223787.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27204946.html

Two different branches - look at the addresses (TW1/TW2) / phone numbers - plus no inter-branch coordination.

db

Edited by deeplyblue

I have been told by an agent that "RightMove charges are quite high and they are moving towards using Zoopla instead"

That said the same agent is still on RM so who knows?

I can't help wondering if the RM charges are somehow linked to sales, lots of adverts running forever and few sales cant be good.

Don't vendors check that the EA has got their property up on RM? I'd be furious if I'd picked an EA which used RM and my property wasn't on there. And I wouldn't use an EA that didn't use RM.

db

Seem to come on fine in London, million pound houses being added daily :)

A few agents are only on primelocation and maybe a few others on findaproperty, not noticed different ones on zoopla.

Perhaps elsewhere agents can't be bothered to be uploading etc.? More serious competition between London EAs?

Meanwhile...925k for a very ordinary looking 4 bed semi in zone 3 anyone?...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30964445.html