House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Need A Bigger Car

Bearing in mind I'm too young for an estate, people carriers are a bit too big - is my only choice, dare I say it *puts on american accent* a sports utility vehicle?

Tiguan's look alright, anyone got one?

Bearing in mind I'm too young for an estate, people carriers are a bit too big - is my only choice, dare I say it *puts on american accent* a sports utility vehicle?

Why do you need this car? Some estates look alright, I am thinking Audi All road or similar

Guest Noodle

They are the anti-tardis. They are big on the outside, not on the inside.

I'd still go for a people carrier with decent fuel economy, like a 1994 Transit.

What's your budget?

look at the c02, if you pick the wrong car you could end up paying 1k a year road tax... (its currently £435 quid a year for the top bracket)

Why do you need this car? Some estates look alright, I am thinking Audi All road or similar

Expanding family (numbers, not waste sizes). We currently have a tiny hatch back and a celica, so not really practical.

I'd still go for a people carrier with decent fuel economy, like a 1994 Transit.

What's your budget?

I dunno, £20-£30k? it's going through the business so looking at co2 <160g

Guest Noodle

Expanding family (numbers, not waste sizes). We currently have a tiny hatch back and a celica, so not really practical.

I had one of these for a while. It was surprisingly very good.

Fiat%20Multipla%202002%20001.jpg

Guest Noodle

I dunno, £20-£30k? it's going through the business so looking at co2 <160g

:blink:

I appreciate that anyone who thinks a Tiguan looks good probably won't pay any attention to this post, but I've had all of the different types of vehicle that might meet your needs, and estates are the best allround unless you have >3 young kids in which case you need a big peoplemover. If you rule them out because you think you're too young, then what are you doing having a family? On top of that, estate cars drive much better than SUVs which are slow and top-heavy.

At the moment I have my eye on the Skoda Superb estate with dark leather seats (vomit and coke wipes off), the diesel and the DSG automatic. Haven't driven one yet, but on paper it looks brilliant. Huge loadspace, huge passenger space, economical and those DSG boxes are brilliant.

What's your budget?

Yes. Tried a BMW X3 in my recent car hunt. Felt like a bus but there still wasn't much room inside.

People carriers may be rubbish to look at but they are very practical.

That is a truly hideous car. Don't have to worry about joyriders nicking it at least.

Guest Noodle

Yes. Tried a BMW X3 in my recent car hunt. Felt like a bus but there still wasn't much room inside.

People carriers may be rubbish to look at but they are very practical.

Had the new Discovery, big fancy one, on one job. Not much more room inside than a big car, boot was tiny.

Fuel consumption was staggering.

I've heard good things about these but just couldn't bring myself to own one.

yes i'm shallow, style over substance etc. but I mean, they're just so ugly

Guest Noodle

That is a truly hideous car. Don't have to worry about joyriders nicking it at least.

Yes it is. But it was a fantastic thing to drive, good on fuel and canyon amounts of space.

Who cares what the thing looks like, you're on the inside of the thing.

Had the new Discovery, big fancy one, on one job. Not much more room inside than a big car, boot was tiny.

Fuel consumption was staggering.

The sort of thing I would only have if I did tiny mileage. Looks great though.

Yes it is. But it was a fantastic thing to drive, good on fuel and canyon amounts of space.

Who cares what the thing looks like, you're on the inside of the thing.

I saw a program recently where a gang had converted a mini fleet of those things to smuggle guns, drugs and money into the country. This is not sufficient to give them street cred in my opinion.

If I was the op, I would look at getting the cash alternative to the car and buying something second hand for half the price, would still get a quality motor for that money.

I appreciate that anyone who thinks a Tiguan looks good probably won't pay any attention to this post, but I've had all of the different types of vehicle that might meet your needs, and estates are the best allround unless you have >3 young kids in which case you need a big peoplemover. If you rule them out because you think you're too young, then what are you doing having a family? On top of that, estate cars drive much better than SUVs which are slow and top-heavy.

At the moment I have my eye on the Skoda Superb estate with dark leather seats (vomit and coke wipes off), the diesel and the DSG automatic. Haven't driven one yet, but on paper it looks brilliant. Huge loadspace, huge passenger space, economical and those DSG boxes are brilliant.

hmm, to be fair i did say they look alright not good. Alright as in a half arsed acceptance that I can no longer drive the car i want, rather than the car we need.

DSG - Direct Shift Gear?

Guest Noodle

I saw a program recently where a gang had converted a mini fleet of those things to smuggle guns, drugs and money into the country. This is not sufficient to give them street cred in my opinion.

If I was the op, I would look at getting the cash alternative to the car and buying something second hand for half the price, would still get a quality motor for that money.

I'm just looking at these Volvo's. V50 and V70. Good on fuel, go fast, not boxy anymore and okay for the VED.

It's that VED. Get stuck with a motor where the annual road tax is a grand or something . . . value plummets, stuck with it. Avoid the thirsty SUV's.

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences

So less than 160 g/km, looking at Band F/G (F really).

Autotrader shows you the VED band for the vehicle.

Vehicle summary

I'm just looking at these Volvo's. V50 and V70. Good on fuel, go fast, not boxy anymore and okay for the VED.

It's that VED. Get stuck with a motor where the annual road tax is a grand or something . . . value plummets, stuck with it. Avoid the thirsty SUV's.

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences

So less than 160 g/km, looking at Band F/G (F really).

Autotrader shows you the VED band for the vehicle.

Vehicle summary

Thats quite nice actually, pretty good performance for those low emissions too.

hmm, to be fair i did say they look alright not good. Alright as in a half arsed acceptance that I can no longer drive the car i want, rather than the car we need.

DSG - Direct Shift Gear?

OK sorry. Good looking cars are no longer for you. I'd love a Tesla, but, well......

Can I suggest you take enough time to decide on the car for the acceptance to sink in?

I have a brother in law who "couldn't" get himself an estate for similar "reasons" and they ended up with an appalling SUV - slow, clumsy, awful to drive, not very economical, they've had it for about 4 years. Strangely enough he's about to buy an estate car now.....

DSG - yes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

They're excellent coupled to a decent diesel engine, all the VW group have them as an option.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201030364302630/sort/priceasc/usedcars/body-type/estate/fuel-type/diesel/model/superb/make/skoda/postcode/sn169eg/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

Guest X-QUORK

yes i'm shallow, style over substance etc. but I mean, they're just so ugly

Some things are just indecent.

Guest X-QUORK

would still get a quality motor for that money.

A fecking what?!