House Price Crash Forum
Guest KingCharles1st

Also- Has Anyone Noticed- "vacancies- Apply Within" Notices

Guest KingCharles1st

I too have started to notice many hand made signs appearing in shop windows/filling stations etc looking for people to work- but mainly jobs that require a semi-brain- the sort of job that would be advertised normally in a local paper.

Could be for a few reasons-

Some I can think of-

Part time employment needed as staff has dwindled and now no "cover" available for holidays etc

People caught in the benefit "trap" and not applying for these jobs that offer an hourly rate/or too few available hours, to get the person off benefits

European people packing up and buggering off?

The employer cannot afford the bill for the local paper/agency as they haven't paid the last bill(s)

I too have started to notice many hand made signs appearing in shop windows/filling stations etc looking for people to work- but mainly jobs that require a semi-brain- the sort of job that would be advertised normally in a local paper.

Could be for a few reasons-

Want to pay them cash in hand, no taxes or NI paid by either side, no need to tell the dole office, no need to check whether they have a permit to work in the UK.

Yes - seen it quite a lot for shops/bars/restaurants but not sure if its any more or less than normal. Jobs in the local paper seems to be less but I put this down to fewer jobs. However, I've just got a new job and I found the add on Gumtree (professional, senior well paid role). One of my mates in London got her last job from an advert on Gumtree - similar type of professional role.

I think companies are trying to save money wherever they can - recruitment is another industry I thought (incorrectly) would have been killed by the Internet (like estate agents) and I'm glad I'm doing my bit. I've been a freelancer for the last 10 years (going back full time and local now thanks goodness) but any jobs i've got through a recruitment agency has cost my emplyer 20% on top of my salary - recruitment agency did fu** all other than forward on my CV.

but any jobs i've got through a recruitment agency has cost my emplyer 20% on top of my salary - recruitment agency did fu** all other than forward on my CV.

Couldn't agree more - I've always seen recruitment consultants as leeches, trying to scrape a living from the lazy companies not prepared to do their own recruitment - When I finished university some 6 years a go, I visited a recruitment consultant with a view to getting a job in sales. No luck, what so ever and a complete waste of my time. I then proceeded to get myself a job as a rep and have been doing splendidly in my job for the last five years, becoming increasingly involved in our recruitment. We do not use recruitment consultancies, largely to not pay 20% of a new employees salary to them, but also because the standard of interviewees we were sent were appauling. Much better to do it yourself.

I wonder, as i'm only 27, were recruitment consultancies always around? They seem a product of the last 10/15 years to me, but i'm only relatively young and I can't say I remember the early nineties or eighties etc.

It seems that they would naturally do well during a boom period as companies are making money and wanting less jobs to do would out source things like recruitment, to save time (particularly smaller companies).

Should we now expect them to disappear back into their holes as businesses seek to cut back their expenditure and realise what a waste of money they are?

If so then there's more unemployment to come one would expect...

Edited by The Bull Trap

Couldn't agree more - I've always seen recruitment consultants as leeches, trying to scrape a living from the lazy companies not prepared to do their own recruitment - When I finished university some 6 years a go, I visited a recruitment consultant with a view to getting a job in sales. No luck, what so ever and a complete waste of my time. I then proceeded to get myself a job as a rep and have been doing splendidly in my job for the last five years, becoming increasingly involved in our recruitment. We do not use recruitment consultancies, largely to not pay 20% of a new employees salary to them, but also because the standard of interviewees we were sent were appauling. Much better to do it yourself.

I wonder, as i'm only 27, were recruitment consultancies always around? They seem a product of the last 10/15 years to me, but i'm only relatively young and I can't say I remember the early nineties or eighties etc.

It seems that they would naturally do well during a boom period as companies are making money and wanting less jobs to do would out source things like recruitment, to save time (particularly smaller companies).

Should we now expect them to disappear back into their holes as businesses seek to cut back their expenditure and realise what a waste of money they are?

Back then we operated under a feudal system. You only got to work for your lord and master. Nowt fancy like agencies them days.

Some of the people I know have packed up and gone back home.

Reasons :

They can see unemployment coming up and would rather get ahead of the crowd in returning home where they can get a job.

It's getting increasingly expensive to live here. The price of some things is becoming stupid. All the extra money they earn ends up getting pissed away on living costs.

The quality of life here is generally crap. If they don't gain a significant financial benefit they'd rather be at home.

You only got to work for your lord and master.

Odd, that's what my boss still calls himself.

One day I hope to have my own castle, but unfortunately it's looking like we'll be paying through the nose rather than putting the desired residence under seige and taking it by force....

Anyone fancy joining me? We'll nick Obama's tag line, "Time for Change" - Shotgun Holyrood.

Depends on whether the job is higher end or not.

If you do your own recruitment then there's a whole heap of stuff to fall foul of on fair employment legislation. You have to interview everyone who claims to meet the criteria that you spec in your job ad (there may even be hassle over where you chose to put your ads) and you have to be very careful about how you pick the eventual successful candidate (be really circumspect about any notes taken or comments made about candidates during the interview process) from the interviewees.

You can face all sorts of hassle from people who don't get the job and allege unfair treatment so if you just interviewed a couple of dozen people there is a real risk there.

A good recruitment agency can filter out all the piss takers and unsuitable applicants and present you with a very small number of suitable people to interview, making things a lot easier for you.

For a cash in hand unskilled job of course, no point in getting an agency in.