House Price Crash Forum

Revealed: Industrial Revolution Was Powered By Child Slaves

Dubai

HOLA441

There's subsidising between research funding and taxpayers/student loan money one way or another along the line and the line between research and day to day work can blur. Of course Professors research costs won't show up in the actual books as such under "money taken from taxpayers and students in paying off their government loans" etc but it's inevitably there with governmen/tax payer funding and grants and so on and all the different organisations and companies relying on government/tax payer money as well as the money paid by students as well as direct grants. Probably most if not all of it of it is ultimately taxpayer money and money from students although the route can at times be circuitous.

And what do they come up with - cheap labour boosts profits. Tell that to the students and graduates flipping burgers and so on.

I haven't been funded by the state since 2002/3, since when I've done lots of marking, teaching, supervising and so on. I suppose I'm paid by the state in some form, but then I have also handed over millions to the state for the privilege. I'm hardly alone in this either, I'd say this was typical for people in substantive subjects, not sure about the humanities/hobbies subject types. In principle I could have pocketed the money and done some of the work at home (perhaps 'home' could be in Switzerland or something) and outsourced the lab work to East Asia. Perhaps that is what I should do in future, its better for the country apparently.

Edited by Cogs

HOLA442

This is an oddly-phrased way to present such statistics.

Child labour was rife before the Industrial Revolution. It didn't just appear when the factories sprang up. The only difference is that it moved from the home, fields and family businesses into the factories.

It was expected that a child of six would card wool daily for her parents to then spin and weave during the days of home woolen piecework in the textile belt of Yorkshire, for example.

Edited by dissident junk

HOLA443

The average life expectancy was around 30 years in many heavy industrial areas.

"Due to public health measures the percentage of children born in London who died before the age of five decreased from 74.5% in 1730-1749 to 31.8% in 1810-1829."

Wonderful - 'they' decided at that point to improve public health, to produce more slaves to enrich them further!

The Industrial revolution was dreamt up by some toffs - in the 'Black' country - Staffs!

Do you really know why we presently have a COAL_ition during this unprecedented upheaval?

The toffs have something 'special' lined up for you!

J. R. R. Tolkien based the grim region of Mordor on the heavily industrialised Black Country area in his famed novel The Lord of the Rings. Indeed, in the Elvish Sindarin language, Mor-Dor means Dark (or Black) Land, and is sometimes even referred to within the novel as "The Black Country".

Charles Dickens's novel The Old Curiosity Shop, written in 1841, described how the area's local factory chimneys "Poured out their plague of smoke, obscured the light, and made foul the melancholy air".

The anchors and chains for the ill-fated liner RMS Titanic were manufactured in the Black Country in the area of Netherton. (Occult)Three anchors and accompanying chains were manufactured; and the set weighed in at 100 tons.

Netherton means "lower farm" Netherton's parish church is St Andrew's!

Eh? Can I have some of the stuff you've been smoking?

Coalittion: 1610s, "the growing together of parts," from Fr. coalition (1540s), from L.L. coalitus "fellowship," originally pp. of L. coalescere (see coalesce). First used in a political sense 1715.

I think you wrongly ascribe the improvement in hygiene for the wish to have an increased workforce. Not so, the improvements were brought about by doctors, who recognised that their wealthy clients (the only ones who could pay) were put at risk of disease by the infectious diseases of the lower classes, which included the rich's servants. London was already suffering from a huge influx of people displaced by the agricultural revolution, they hardly needed more workers.

Even into Edwardian times, there were more workers than jobs available. (re. Jack London - "People of the Abyss")

HOLA444

Who ever said we were?

Those dark satanic ... what were they?

so children were responsible for inventing steam engines,weaving looms and techniques for boring through hillsides to make tunnels?

must have been some brainy kids compared to the shower we have now.

the industrial revolution was built on innovation,the easy access to less regulated sources of manpower just gave it a bit of a leg-up.

Edited by oracle

HOLA445

Something you heard or something you could back up for the sceptics and enquiring minds. Yes it is feasible that new industries may privide higher salaries than traditional agrarian ones (we see this constantly in developing economies), but on a scale of 10 times, in the same economic area, seems unlikely.

I've read about this a few times too. Wages in the UK were multiples of continental wages in simlar industries (can't remember if 10 or less) during the industrial revolution.

IIRC coal was the determinant factor, UK worker productivity was so far ahead that UK prices were lower despite the higher wages.

I can't back it up with proper data or references I'm afraid, but it's out there.

HOLA446

Child labour was the crucial ingredient which allowed Britain's Industrial Revolution to succeed, new research by a leading economic historian has concluded.After carrying out one of the most detailed statistical analyses of the period, Oxford's Professor Jane Humphries found that child labour was much more common and economically important than previously realised. Her estimates suggest that, by the early 19th century, England had more than a million child workers (including around 350,000 seven- to 10-year-olds) – accounting for 15 per cent of the total labour force. The work is likely to transform the academic world's understanding of that crucial period of British history which was the launch-pad of the nation's economic and imperial power.Early factory owners – located in the countryside in order to exploit power from fast-flowing rivers – found that local labour was scarce and that those agricultural workers who were available were unsuitable for industrial production. They therefore opted instead to create a new work force composed of children, tailor-made for their factories."Factory owners were looking for cheap, malleable and fast-learning work forces – and found them ready-made among the children of the urban workhouses," said Professor Humphries. Her statistical research shows, for the first time, the precise extent to which the exploitation of children massively increased as newly emerging factories began their operations in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.Her work has revealed that during most of the 18th century only around 35 per cent of ten year old working-class boys were in the labour force while the figure for 1791-1820 (when large scale industrialisation started) was 55 per cent, rising to 60 per cent for the period of 1821-1850. We weren't that compassionate after all.... :( ........ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-industrial-revolution-was-powered-by-child-slaves-2041227.html

In other news, uk got rich by buying African slaves with bang bang sticks

HOLA447

Eh? Can I have some of the stuff you've been smoking?

Coalittion: 1610s, "the growing together of parts," from Fr. coalition (1540s), from L.L. coalitus "fellowship," originally pp. of L. coalescere (see coalesce). First used in a political sense 1715.

I think you wrongly ascribe the improvement in hygiene for the wish to have an increased workforce. Not so, the improvements were brought about by doctors, who recognised that their wealthy clients (the only ones who could pay) were put at risk of disease by the infectious diseases of the lower classes, which included the rich's servants. London was already suffering from a huge influx of people displaced by the agricultural revolution, they hardly needed more workers.

Even into Edwardian times, there were more workers than jobs available. (re. Jack London - "People of the Abyss")

Can't you see - they were dying like flies, 75% dead by age of 5.

Then you confirm - the improvements were brought about by doctors, who recognised that their wealthy clients (the only ones who could pay) were put at risk of disease.

Exactly!

A bunch of rich thugs pouring fuel(COAL) onto the fire their banker/stockbroker mates lit - they like to keep it in the 'family'

HOLA448

ah, so that's what all these empty tiny slave box flats are to used for...

The 'Whicker Man' was a Celtic/specifically DRUID priesthood inspired ritual Sacrifice!

Just like they plunged daggers into live peoples' chests, ripped their hearts out (exactly as describing Aztec druid/egyptian deathcult priesthood) then pretended to predict the future by the position the writhing body ended up!

HOLA449

Children were pretty much invented by the Victorians though. Before that from the age of 7 you were classed as young man (and why not, you'd probably already lived a quarter of your life) and either sent to the fields, or if you were lucky given an apprenticeship in a guild.

I'm always amazed how people cast current values retrospectively into the past and use them to condemn people whose values have to be incompatible. I bet if we could send coalition forces back into history to launch air strikes against the Tudors for their regressive values we would do.

HOLA4410

Children were pretty much invented by the Victorians though. Before that from the age of 7 you were classed as young man (and why not, you'd probably already lived a quarter of your life) and either sent to the fields, or if you were lucky given an apprenticeship in a guild.

I'm always amazed how people cast current values retrospectively into the past and use them to condemn people whose values have to be incompatible. I bet if we could send coalition forces back into history to launch air strikes against the Tudors for their regressive values we would do.

oooh eloquently put - except the Tudors were probably, by these definitions, more societally advanced than rural Afghans

HOLA4411

Can't you see - they were dying like flies, 75% dead by age of 5.

Then you confirm - the improvements were brought about by doctors, who recognised that their wealthy clients (the only ones who could pay) were put at risk of disease.

Exactly!

A bunch of rich thugs pouring fuel(COAL) onto the fire their banker/stockbroker mates lit - they like to keep it in the 'family'

Were arguing over how many angels dance on the head of a pin....

They were dieing like flies. Yes. But the effort to reduce the mortality wasn't to breed more slaves, as you put it, but simply to protect the upper classes from contagion. It's no good being rich in a plague year. It's a small point, but you put the wrong spin on it. Nothing to do with coal, which incidently, wasn't mined in any quantity until after 1800.

HOLA4412

Wow!! Professor "reveals" that cheap labour boosts profits.

Well I never, what next.

That'll really "transform" peoples understanding.

How much taxpayers money did it take for the Professor to come up with that so called "revelation".

How many young students had to go into £thousands of fee debt to subsidise it.

You missed the fact that she was at Oxford. This means that her pronouncements are profound...as is her self aggrandizement.

HOLA4413

What do you mean 'revealed'?

Might as well 'reveal' that Henry VIII had Anne Boleyn's head chopped off.

One of the first examples of offshoring, when there were many perfectly capable unemployed in the UK.

(Anne Boleyn 'ad 'er 'ead chopped off by a Frenchman...'pparently our axe men weren't good enough for her...bloody EU immigrants taking our jobs and murdering our women!)