House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Government's Communications Agency Is To Axe 40% Of Its Staff

Breaking news on the wires - is this the end of Tufty the Squirrel or did he get his pension some time ago?

Government office jobs being axed

Aug 3 2010

The Government's communications agency is to axe 40% of its staff as a result of the clampdown on public spending.

A total of 287 jobs will be cut at the Central Office of Information (COI), which distributes Government publicity, information and communications.

The Government's freeze on non-essential advertising and marketing has resulted in "significantly" reduced work volumes, the COI said.

Turnover on advertising and marketing was down by 52% in June compared with the same month in 2009 and ministers have made it clear that the reduction would continue.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Isn't this department ripe for having just, for example, half a dozen six figure salaried political appointments at the top and then outsourcing the work to some small, trendy PR company run by the wife of some Government Minister or MP?

Or do I have no idea how British politics works? Or am I just cynical after the past 30 years of Tory and Labour Governments?

Breaking news on the wires - is this the end of Tufty the Squirrel or did he get his pension some time ago?

Is this one of those 40% to go over the next 5 years announcements or have they got their P45s already? Where is this centre? 287 isn't many anyway.

Is this one of those 40% to go over the next 5 years announcements or have they got their P45s already? Where is this centre? 287 isn't many anyway.

I think it could be these people - you can follow them on twitter.

http://coi.gov.uk/

http://twitter.com/COIgovuk

Probably just another announcement. Has anyone actually been shown the door yet? Call me impatient here but we are burning through £3bn a week...

I think it could be these people - you can follow them on twitter.

Yep, it is them - look at their twitter feed.

http://twitter.com/COIgovuk

RT @alex_butler: Thanks for the lovely msgs of support. Means a lot to us @coigovuk, particularly today.
@tom_watson Staff will depart under the terms in place at the end of the 90 day consultation period on 1 Nov 2010

If you dig around on twitter you will see that there is much talk about the redundancies being not on any current agreement but on a future as of yet unknown agreement.

You obviously missed the last installment wherein he DIDN'T make it across the road.

All that was left were a bushy tail and a little jacket.

Oh Tufty - this isn't a world for one as beautiful as you.

Unlike Charlie the Cat. Never trusted 'im.

You obviously missed the last installment wherein he DIDN'T make it across the road.

All that was left were a bushy tail and a little jacket.

Oh Tufty - this isn't a world for one as beautiful as you.

Unlike Charlie the Cat. Never trusted 'im.

I had a Tufty moment as a kid.

Was playing footie in the street with one of those black and white light plastic footies of the 1970s' era. A car drove right over the ball, I saw the ball go completely flat, my heart sank and then, as the car drove away, the ball reinflated perfectly.

It was surreal and I have spent the past 40 years trying to re-create the experiment. I have 3 hours booked in on the large haldron collider in 2017. :blink:

Yes, Charlie the Cat - never trusted him either.

Yes. Lots of rubbish. No P45s sent to anyone. It is the daily surf fear mongering.

This part might help:

@tom_watson Staff will depart under the terms in place at the end of the 90 day consultation period on 1 Nov 2010