House Price Crash Forum
Boom'n'Bust

Crash, What Crash?

Of course there's no crash; that only happens when you hit the ground.

It's preceded by a rapid loss of height first, just as we are now seeing.

Very good quote. In effect, this is what the doubters are saying too. They will only accept it once it has actually happened.

Across the south east, 50 per cent of chartered surveyors who responded to the survey reported prices had stayed the same, with 35 per cent of them believing prices had fallen by only between 0 per cent and 2 per cent during July.

:blink: Not in my part of the south east. :blink:

I'm looking at a standard 5% drop advertised. and see further drops

on land registry.

Marina posted recently that prices are approaching a point where

temptation is gaining.

I believe 20% drop is achievable on some properties now.

I also feel next year will be my time to jump in (base on what I am monitoring).

I wonder if in the early months of the boom, they wrote an article called "Boom? What boom?"

No, probably not.

Actually throughout the late 1990s, the VIs denied there was any kind of boom going on. They insisted rises were only confined to certain London hotspots, because they didn't want property taxes or interest rates to rise.

Actually throughout the late 1990s, the VIs denied there was any kind of boom going on.  They insisted rises were only confined to certain London hotspots, because they didn't want property taxes or interest rates to rise.

And they were quite right. A lot of HPI in the late 90s was prices catching up, they were under-valued until around 1999. The boom really began around here in 2001.

And they were quite right.  A lot of HPI in the late 90s was prices catching up, they were under-valued until around 1999.  The boom really began around here in 2001.

It depends upon where you live.

House prices in London and the South East boomed between 1997 and 2001 and have been relatively stagnant since.