Things That Leave You Cold

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest X-QUORK

I know he's pretty much admired but he just leaves me COLD. Can't explain why. If he's in a film I avoid it. I suppose it's the visual equivalent to someone's smell where you just don't like them. No rhyme nor reason.

You do know Wario is DDL don't you?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I know he's pretty much admired but he just leaves me COLD. Can't explain why. If he's in a film I avoid it. I suppose it's the visual equivalent to someone's smell where you just don't like them. No rhyme nor reason.

Russel Crowe does that for me - won't watch anything he's been near... self-indulgent, spoilt, mannerless delinquent, grrrr.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

Yay - I too am glad I'm not camping.

Quite like the idea of 'getting away from it all' but the sordid reality does my head in.

Minimum equipment required for camping.

winnebago.jpg

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Skinty

Couple of people have said gambling, have to agree.

I spent an afternoon in a bookies once, betting on every race. Very dull, I could not see the appeal but wanted to give it a go as so many people love it.

I suspect that it's because the emotional reward of winning outweighs the emotional cost of losing. Personally I don't really care about winning, I'm just more worried about losing my money.

HOLA4421

Excuse any unbalanced ranting but much of the financial system leaves me cold.

A small number of people take all the upside, and then things can and often do spin out of control. The problems (usually debt) are then taken over by the state (the debt goes from a privately held corporate problem, to a public problem on the nations balance sheet). This seems pretty unfair to me, and now there is almost an implicit guarantee that govts will step in to clear up the mess.

I work in investment, but am completely in the Buffett, Soros, Nasim Taleb camp, and feel their critique of various parts of the financial system seem very reasonable.

Michael Lewis's recent book 'The Big Short' is an easy an quick read on the subject, but for more detailed analysis I really enjoyed Gillian Tett's book 'Fool's Gold'. The research I have done in this area just makes me think that the participants will always be able to game the system, and more crashes from episodes of excessive irrational exuberance are to come.

After the near collapse of 2008, it seems nothing has changed.

Go figure.

Don't want to derail the thread, and I understand what you are saying, but it needs to be said that Nasim Taleb is full of crap.

HOLA4422

Work place 'AWAY DAYS'

One here today 'summer outing' FFS. I won't be going ..

What is the point of an AWAY DAY? Apart from the Director thinking it 'is the right thing to do'

I would sooner do anything other than an AWAY DAY if I am not working

grrrrrr

(it's piddling down ATM BTW :lol: )

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Skinty

Work place 'AWAY DAYS'

One here today 'summer outing' FFS. I won't be going ..

What is the point of an AWAY DAY? Apart from the Director thinking it 'is the right thing to do'

I would sooner do anything other than an AWAY DAY if I am not working

Last time I worked in industry they had their summer barbeque on a Saturday!

I saw the photos afterwards and it seemed to consist of sitting around in a field.

HOLA4425
Guest Noodle

Any enforced jollity leaves me cold, especially corporate enforced fun.

My pain threshold won't handle it. Not being a drinker it was always excruciating viewing, the stuff of paper bag hyperventilation.

Archived