House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Things That Leave You Cold

Not things you hate, rather things that in which you can appreciate the quality and craft but it really does nothing for you.

As an example: classical music. Now I like this greatly but for the majority of people it just doesn't touch them. No words or drums. I fully understand why, we're all different.

Anyway my slightly unusual one is:

Political and current affairs satire

From Yes Minster to The Thick of It, Have I got News for You to Mock the Week. The News Quiz to The Now Show. All have me reaching for the off switch. They just strike me as lazy, obvious, not worth doing. Just mention Edwina Currie or John Prescott and you get a laugh, very good you.

Not things you hate, rather things that in which you can appreciate the quality and craft but it really does nothing for you.

Cathedrals and large Churches

Golf. I know loads of people who play, and seem to enjoy it. I can imagine there are so many good things about it, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'd quite happily join them for the walk, and the beers afterwards.

Golf. I know loads of people who play, and seem to enjoy it. I can imagine there are so many good things about it, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'd quite happily join them for the walk, and the beers afterwards.

I was going to say golf, but I think I'll give it more of a go as I get older. It's an inner game, as well as being social, and I like those.

Excuse any unbalanced ranting but much of the financial system leaves me cold.

A small number of people take all the upside, and then things can and often do spin out of control. The problems (usually debt) are then taken over by the state (the debt goes from a privately held corporate problem, to a public problem on the nations balance sheet). This seems pretty unfair to me, and now there is almost an implicit guarantee that govts will step in to clear up the mess.

I work in investment, but am completely in the Buffett, Soros, Nasim Taleb camp, and feel their critique of various parts of the financial system seem very reasonable.

Michael Lewis's recent book 'The Big Short' is an easy an quick read on the subject, but for more detailed analysis I really enjoyed Gillian Tett's book 'Fool's Gold'. The research I have done in this area just makes me think that the participants will always be able to game the system, and more crashes from episodes of excessive irrational exuberance are to come.

After the near collapse of 2008, it seems nothing has changed.

Go figure.

Before anybody posts them the following do not qualify as there is no quality within them:

Talent Shows

Soap Operas

Reality Shows

It's not about the things that most people think are rubbish anyway. This is for things that in general reasonable people think are great and you're the odd man or woman out, so cathedrals and golf are good examples.

Before anybody posts them the following do not qualify as there is no quality within them:

Talent Shows

Soap Operas

Reality Shows

It's not about the things that most people think are rubbish anyway. This is for things that in general reasonable people think are great and you're the odd man or woman out, so cathedrals and golf are good examples.

How can this be true?

Someone likes "Keeping up with the Kardashians" or it wouldn't be broadcast for very long.

Most people on HPC think they're rubbish is more like it.

Anyway mine is caravans.

It's the only thing I have in common with Jeremy Clarkson.

Fishing. Some people are fanatical about sitting for hours watching a piece of plastic floating in the river. I can see the attraction of fly fishing or deep sea big game fishing but really don't get spending a whole weekend on the river bank.

How can this be true?

Someone likes "Keeping up with the Kardashians" or it wouldn't be broadcast for very long.

Most people on HPC think they're rubbish is more like it.

Anyway mine is caravans.

It's the only thing I have in common with Jeremy Clarkson.

Most people with an above room temperature IQ.

I have never heard of your Kardashians programme.

All the things men are supposed to talk about. That is to say, specifically males in male company: the ones you'd expect to hear much less of in mixed company.

Sports? Well, I could just about take an interest if I and/or my friends are doing something, but what the **** is the point of a bunch of overpaid celebrities on the telly?

Cars? For ****s sake, get an organic willy and stop waving the mechanical one!

Girls? Love 'em, but find talking about them in suggestive and often slightly derogatory terms distasteful.

As a male, I've obviously had very little exposure to women's equivalents. But I think I could say much the same about them.

Guest Noodle

Oh dear, I'm on the naughty step again.

:P

Nah, it was mildly amusing at the time though.

Most people with an above room temperature IQ.

I have never heard of your Kardashians programme.

Oh dear, that's my stepdaughter you're talking about.

With luck her looks will save her if I can persuade her to try modelling.

I am so confused by todays celebritynothingTVpulp.

AFAIAC a cardassian looks like this

220px-Guldukat.jpg

I really don't have the time to fill my head with whatever todays gibbering brainless benefit-sheeple think a cardassian looks like.

Mobile Phones- The next person who extols their mobiles virtues to me in the pub over a beer as if I could give a f*ck what tinny ******** comes out of it's speakers is getting dragged to the bar and their head repeatedly slammed in the swing-door.

Cars- Unless I've just bought a Dodge Viper nobody wants to hear about what I'm driving (does not include repair advice).

Convoluted Directions- "Well if you drive down the road, take a right then the first exit at the roundabout before driving five miles then do a U-turn before taking another right at the Rogered Ploughman Pub. Drive another ten metres before entering the motorway, exit the motorway before then entering the motorway and then take a sharp right....." <continue for another twenty minutes>

The single best reason for owning a satnav.

Football- I'm not getting worked up about about a bunch of overpaid chavs who just don't give a shit as exemplified by the previous World Cup performance.

Abba- I just don't get it. It's naff.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

All the things men are supposed to talk about. That is to say, specifically males in male company: the ones you'd expect to hear much less of in mixed company.

Sports? Well, I could just about take an interest if I and/or my friends are doing something, but what the **** is the point of a bunch of overpaid celebrities on the telly?

Cars? For ****s sake, get an organic willy and stop waving the mechanical one!

Girls? Love 'em, but find talking about them in suggestive and often slightly derogatory terms distasteful.

As a male, I've obviously had very little exposure to women's equivalents. But I think I could say much the same about them.

Women who

- bang on about their housework - what they've done and how well they done it.rolleyes.gif

- holidays and how why and where.

- their 'tan'

- - clothes.

With women I have foind it is a one-upmanship thing. Who has the darkest tan, the most spotless house, the most expensive holiday.rolleyes.gif

Football

The olympics

Reality TV

Celebrities

Fashion

Opera

Ballet

London

Mobile phones

Apple products

Social networking sites

Humans

Car washing

Holidays in the sun

Golf

Audi's and BMW's

Mayonaise

Curry

Oysters

I could go on...

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Mobile Phones- The next person who extols their mobiles virtues to me in the pub over a beer as if I could give a f*ck what tinny ******** comes out of it's speakers is getting dragged to the bar and their head repeatedly slammed in the swing-door.

Cars- Unless I've just bought a Dodge Viper nobody wants to hear about what I'm driving (does not include repair advice).

Convoluted Directions- "Well if you drive down the road, take a right then the first exit at the roundabout before driving five miles then do a U-turn before taking another right at the Rogered Ploughman Pub. Drive another ten metres before entering the motorway, exit the motorway before then entering the motorway and then take a sharp right....." <continue for another twenty minutes>

The single best reason for owning a satnav.

Football- I'm not getting worked up about about a bunch of overpaid chavs who just don't give a shit as exemplified by the previous World Cup performance.

Abba- I just don't get it. It's naff.

You do that when things leave you cold?blink.gif

I woul not like to see you with summat you hate.ph34r.gif