House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Replacement Remote Controls

On Sunday, the remote control for our TV stopped working properly. It was ignoring about four out of five key-presses. Inexplicably, it now appears to be working perfectly, but it did make me wonder whether it would be worth buying a spare remote control because they are relatively cheap and (I would imagine) relatively likely to be broken or to cease working.

I found a website that claims to sell a replacement remote control that works as a complete replacement for the specific make and model of TV we have, although their photo of the remote looks quite different than the original one which came with the TV. The cost would be £11.49 (inc. VAT and postage).

Then, there are the universal replacement type of remote. Looking at Argos's website, I can see that they cheaper ones simply don't have sufficient buttons to replace all of the functionality that the original remote has (such as selecting picture aspect ratio, for example)... but perhaps my main problem is that I don't really know how the universal ones work. Do TV basically use the same signals (or whatever) so that a universal remote will work, or do they require programming? (And if they do, how would that work if you were buying a replacement because the original didn't work at all?)

If anyone has any experience or expertise in this area, I'd be grateful for any information on how this whole replacement remote thing works!

Thanks in advance!

They have the frequencies/signals stored in a chip and by telling the remote which set (TV/make/model) to use it then operates on those your old one had.

Some can also learn by sitting it in front of your old one but they're rather rare these days.

I had a tiny credit card one and it had presets for hundreds of TV's.

Damned clever these Chinese chappies.

you can buy one from poundland, and set the frequency yourself. Its worth a punt for a quid...

Thanks!

I just did a search on Poundland's website, though, and didn't find any remotes... :(

Also, when you say 'set the frequency yourself', what would that entail?

Thanks!

I just did a search on Poundland's website, though, and didn't find any remotes... :(

Also, when you say 'set the frequency yourself', what would that entail?

looking on the piece of paper in the package for the right code for your tv, and entering it into the remote. You sometimes have to try a few, and sometimes your tv isn't supported, sometimes you can tell the remote to search for your tv... But better to waste a pound trying than 12 quid trying...

looking on the piece of paper in the package for the right code for your tv, and entering it into the remote.  You sometimes have to try a few, and sometimes your tv isn't supported, sometimes you can tell the remote to search for your tv...  But better to waste a pound trying than 12 quid trying...

To expand a little, I think that what happens is that for a given TV you push a particular button on the control and it sends out a specific pattern of infrared flashes: the TV receives these and responds accordingly. The patterns associated with each button vary between TVs and (even more so) between manufacturers. Universal remote controls have the patterns for hundreds of makes of TV stored in them. You look up your TV in the instructions and it'll give you some code (a 4-digit number or something) to enter into the remote; when you do this it sets the remote up so that the patterns associated with each button are the same as for your original remote. As you mentioned, you might find that some of the fancier functions are missing though.