House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

On The One Hand People In Pakistan Are Burning Effigies Of Brits...

I'm a little conflicted. For many years we have sponsored kids through World Vision; whenever there is a catastrophe overseas they mailshot us (and all their subscribers presumably) for additional funds. I have never had a prob with this. However, in this week when some in Pakistan have been burning effigies of the British PM I suddenly find it grates with me to send funds to support such communities.

I know the people who have been flooded are not necessarily those demonstrating, and God knows if my family were flooded out I'd want to know that somebody better off would help us out, but for the first time I am conflicted on this. I don't want to send money to communities that may support terrorists attacking Brits.

Be interested to know what your take on this is.

Burning an effigy of Cameron has made you less likely to donate to Pakistan?

If they can knock up a Clegg, Brown and some bankers I'll get my credit card out asap.

I feel the same confliction.

The BBC had a news report today with an aid worker out there who did not wish to be filmed or named because of the dangers to her in that area.

So I see images of people needing help and I can't help wondering how many of these people like us, how many don't care, how many hate us and how many would like to kill us.

I suspect many are feeling the same way.

I particularly liked the fact that the effigy had a banner with CAMEROON written on it...

They must be HPC regulars!

Interesting, let`s post who we think they are. :)

Have you noticed how certain financially poor individuals within groups adopt the burning of effigies and National Flags on cue of people and Countries they don`t like especially when the TV cameras are around. ;) Well I expect they also are entitled to have their fifteen minutes of fame. :)

Ultimately you should be blaming the UK and USA, who send billions of dollars of military aid to Pakistan, which promptly gets funneled to Islamic jihadis to get used against our own troops. Can hardly blame Pakistan for taking advantage of our stupidity.

Ultimately you should be blaming the UK and USA, who send billions of dollars of military aid to Pakistan, which promptly gets funneled to Islamic jihadis to get used against our own troops. Can hardly blame Pakistan for taking advantage of our stupidity.

Stop reading wikileaks and go back to the BBC like a good little serf.

I'm a little conflicted. For many years we have sponsored kids through World Vision; whenever there is a catastrophe overseas they mailshot us (and all their subscribers presumably) for additional funds. I have never had a prob with this. However, in this week when some in Pakistan have been burning effigies of the British PM I suddenly find it grates with me to send funds to support such communities.

I know the people who have been flooded are not necessarily those demonstrating, and God knows if my family were flooded out I'd want to know that somebody better off would help us out, but for the first time I am conflicted on this. I don't want to send money to communities that may support terrorists attacking Brits.

The burning effigies of politicians doesn't bother me, that Pakistan's intelligence service has been training, equipping and sheltering Jihad warriors while killing off anybody in Afghanistan that wants to build a country instead of just killing their own daughters for wanting to go to school, that bothers me.

Bear in mind that Pakistan has enough cash to develop and maintain a nuclear arsenal and massive military, are they poor or misspending their money?

The burning effigies of politicians doesn't bother me, that Pakistan's intelligence service has been training, equipping and sheltering Jihad warriors while killing off anybody in Afghanistan that wants to build a country instead of just killing their own daughters for wanting to go to school, that bothers me.

Hang on: isn't that what we used to pay Pakistan to do back when the invading troops in Afghanistan were Russian?

Hang on: isn't that what we used to pay Pakistan to do back when the invading troops in Afghanistan were Russian?

But that is different. They were evil capitalists communists. ;)

Frankly I have had more than I can stand of Islam and the middle East.

The sooner we get out of Afghanistan and Iraq the better. Then, no aid, no help. If they think they are so good, let them stew in their own juice.

Why do we always have to sort things out, they don't want us. We should not feel sorry for them, we should not feel any responsibility to help them.

we send them £££££s so they can SPEND £££££s.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

I have no probs. funding the likes of Darfur, but Pakistan, with its dubious connections?

dry.gif

If they have so much military clout why do they need our handouts? We are already giving out benefits to people who have left these war-torn countries and are residing here. Why send it there when there is a good chance the poor and needy won't see much of it?

I douby whether any of the funds we send to the poor ever actually reach themsad.gif

BBC: Girl, 14, forced to be prostitute in Greater Manchester

There seems to be something in common with all nine of the child-molesting culprits, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Nine men convicted at Manchester Crown Court in connection with the abuse were:

* Aftab Khan, 31, of Tarporley Avenue, Fallowfield pleaded guilty to one count of controlling a child prostitute and one count of sexual activity with a child. He was sentenced to nine years in prison. This was later reduced to seven years on appeal

* Abid Khaliq, 30, of Shrewsbury Street, Stretford was sentenced to eight months in prison after admitting perverting the course of justice

* Noorzai Ahmed, 29, of Royce Court, Hulme was sentenced to four years in prison after he was found guilty of paying for the sexual services of a child

* Mohammed Anwar Safi, 29, of no fixed address, was sentenced to 31 months in prison after admitting paying for the sexual services of a child

* Mohammed Khan, 26, of Royce Court, Hulme was sentenced to four years in prison after he was found guilty of facilitating child prostitution

* Najibullah Safi, 33, of Reabrook Avenue, West Gorton was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting to sexual activity with a child

* Asad Yousaf Hassa, 28, of Rivington Street, Rochdale was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting two counts of sexual activity with a child

* Mohammed Basharat, 28, of Prospect Street, Rochdale was sentenced to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to sexual activity with a child under 16

* Mohammed Atif, 29, of Rivington Street, Rochdale was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting to sexual activity with a child

_48579032_sexabuse299.jpg

Guest X-QUORK

Bear in mind that Pakistan has enough cash to develop and maintain a nuclear arsenal and massive military, are they poor or misspending their money?

This is the key question IMO. I won't be donating any money to this country.

Guest Skinty

There seems to be something in common with all nine of the child-molesting culprits, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Their first names all begin with either A, M or N?

This is the key question IMO. I won't be donating any money to this country.

Nor I.

I want to know more about this half a billion or so that we apparently send over there per year. Is it customary to fund people who are siding with factions that we are currently waging war against?

Allah works in mysterious ways.

In bad taste?

Possibly, but like you, I don't think Pakistan does itself any favours in the eyes of the western world.

This was demonstrated with the amount of money raised in 2006 when the Tsunami hit Sri Lanka and then compare that with the money given to Pakistan when another tragedy hit a month or so after.

I'd be interested to know just how much we send Pakistan in overseas aid a year.

Edit: Typo.

I agree. Didn't God send a flood in the Bible?

From Wikipedia

In Rabbinic tradition

The story of Noah and the Ark was subject to much discussion in later Judaism. While Noah was building an ark he preached to his neighbors but no one listened, making fun of him instead.

Remind you of anyone?

I share many of your doubts.

On a personal level I ultimately come down to your line in bold. Those in need aren't burning anything. They're too busy staying alive and too wet to burn anything. So do I refuse to give to those in need, based on the behaviour of those not in need in the same country.

I don't like this. I would not wish to be judged based on those people in X who believe Y and do Z - people who I cannot change. (Insert place, beliefs, and behaviour of a town/region of the UK or segment of the population you have least in common with.)

On the national level part of me says why does the UK give aid if they send their own money on nukes. The other part replies that this is highly efficient spending on thier part. Their investment in nukes means other countries have a strong incentive to give aid in order to influence the behaviour of a country with nukes.

Whilst I haven't reviewed this mass release of documents, and leaving aside for the moment the reasons behind the conflict, I hear that the leaked papers clearly show that from a military perspective the war cannot be won.

So the real question is how many more lives will be lost, bodies maimed and minds damaged far beyond healing, before this unnecessary war is halted?

But no, the innuendo and the suspicion and the positions will be taken even with innocent motives. You can see it and feel it even on this thread. So without getting into the detail maybe the question ought to be.

How long before public imagination focuses and demands, No More Wars, No More Killing, No More Suffering?

Never in the history of humanity have we had such an abundance of information, yet the malleable people want to join the righteous side and this position will only fuel the fire.

This is Britain.

The British Empire should have taught us that bloody much...

As for the second bit, don't underestimate the power of selfish individualism and mass media indoctrination.

The wikileaks things is getting a bit out of hand, there are some people calling for Assange to be labelled a 'clear and present danger' and 'dealt with' and Assange has just uploaded a 1.4 gig file called 'insurance file' to wikileaks and torrent sites encrypted in AES 256. Best guess seems to be it is 250,000 transcripts from the US diplomatic service over the last few years.

1. They probably aren't the same people anyway, "communities" is a bit weasely in this context, the community of which you are a part has sponsored many attacks, assaults and invasions on people all over the world, I don't hold you or I personally responsible for that 2. A humanitarian response predicated on demanding other behaviour from people, even gratefulness, is no kind of humanitarianism. What you are in effect doing is saying you take politics at least as seriously as they do if you see what I mean. The impulse is not to aid, its to demand a set of beliefs and behaviours, I don't think that is reasonable personally. Orwell writes quite well about why a tramp is never grateful when helped in this way and I think the general principle holds across situations.

PS They are burning effigies of David Cameron rather than 'brits' I thought, who gives a toss.

Guest X-QUORK

PS They are burning effigies of David Cameron rather than 'brits' I thought, who gives a toss.

That's just to ignore the fact that DC speaks on behalf of Britain. Like it or not, he speaks the majority opinion.

I'm pleased he's pointed at the elephant in the room.