House Price Crash Forum

The Appeal Of A Single Room

bendy

HOLA441

okaaaay... most people on this board are after housing at a reasonable cost, but say it never falls and the crash never happens.

so you need a way into property in the hope that you aren't going to rent beyond 'retirement' (imo the next MASSIVE social issue that will occur some 30-40 years from now).

what if you could buy a single room, like a flat i guess but with perhaps pull down bed/table combination and it cost say, 20k? there have been videos posted up here of similiar sort of stuff but would you go for it, considering this is the UK?

the thought of a secure block of sound padded single rooms (kitchen/bed/shitter shower and diner) kind of appeals to me, meaning you have to go out to do stuff but only if it means that you'd save a good 50%+ of rental prices. i'm not talking a normal flat here but just a say 15-20ft square room,everything crammed in.

we get the govt and media whangling on about affordable housing in that they think everyone needs either an executive flat or 2 up 2 down. for many i guess this is not so and saving a load on the bills means you can do more out and about. though there may be some legal crap that means we can't live in such abject poverty as having everything in one room!!!

opinions?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Rent free? Easy escape to being mortgage free? Those bankers won't like it.

It certainly is a good idea, beats paying £65 a week to rent a bedsit, sharing the toilet and kitchen.

The next big cost has to be council tax.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Such places you describe exist, I lived in one in Harginghey...

It was just as you described room for a bed, a dresser + TV, there was a separate wet room. This was the toilet, shower, kitchen all combined into one. There was a shower head above the toilet and a shower curtain wet room thing. Behind the door was a roller shutter which had a twin hob in it and a micro sink which couldn't even fit a plate in it.

The rent was pretty high and over 50% of my pay packet went on it.

It was just an old victorian house cut up into loads of flats...

The idea of small = cheap holds no water.

Hong Kong and Beijing have some semi correct ideas though $900HK (£70) for a 14ft apartment with communal toilet and kitchen. In Beijing 4x2ft 'apartments' carved up for the youth in Beijing cost 1/27th of the average salary in Beijing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yJGTPUR_0

If such things were to come to the UK they'd cost £500-900 a month to rent.

HOLA446
HOLA447

i'd quite fancy it. a bit like the womb, nice and cosy. you used to* hear a lot about newly successful rock stars who would buy themselves a big house & then live in a single room within it, furnished only with a basic bed or bedsofa and a new TV kept on the cardboard box it came in. i can really see the appeal if you're on your own and confident in your own affluence/free of keeping-up-with-the-jones type ******** notions.

not good for entertaining though [impressing girls or, in particular, having a few guests round]. and not the best for raising a family.

* - wouldn't happen now, of course, since you can't make much money from selling records and of course mansions are kind of expensive these days...

Edited by the flying pig

HOLA448
HOLA449

okaaaay... most people on this board are after housing at a reasonable cost, but say it never falls and the crash never happens.

so you need a way into property in the hope that you aren't going to rent beyond 'retirement' (imo the next MASSIVE social issue that will occur some 30-40 years from now).

what if you could buy a single room, like a flat i guess but with perhaps pull down bed/table combination and it cost say, 20k? there have been videos posted up here of similiar sort of stuff but would you go for it, considering this is the UK?

the thought of a secure block of sound padded single rooms (kitchen/bed/shitter shower and diner) kind of appeals to me, meaning you have to go out to do stuff but only if it means that you'd save a good 50%+ of rental prices. i'm not talking a normal flat here but just a say 15-20ft square room,everything crammed in.

we get the govt and media whangling on about affordable housing in that they think everyone needs either an executive flat or 2 up 2 down. for many i guess this is not so and saving a load on the bills means you can do more out and about. though there may be some legal crap that means we can't live in such abject poverty as having everything in one room!!!

opinions?

They do exist - studio flats - but in London even those are ridiculously priced. And Council Tax will be similar to a normal flat.

HOLA4410

you see i'm sat here at a table in a 3 bed semi.

i'm in a kitchen what must be 6' x 15' at a table with the laptop. the next room is the lounge/diner which is maybe 15' by 15'. the house is maybe valued at around 100-120k (east mids) but that's with the upstairs and gardens. so i think i could live in the bottom two rooms alone, maybe even taking a good 10' off them, which would reduce the price to around 40k. stick this in a block of flats and it goes down even further.

i'm not talking the cages here (well i am, but western cages), but single room (other that the shitter) living has got to have advantages. :huh:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

do tell.

We have plenty of land, we do not have to live in inner cities, has technology not achieved anything? Are those that are saying that you could handle such a small space lived in one? I see intergenerational families cramped into larger houses with gardens as a positive, not single people in single cell. What are you thinking??

Edited by Tonkers

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

We have plenty of land, we do not have to live in inner cities, has technology not achieved anything? Are those that are saying that you could handle such a small space lived in one? I see intergenerational families cramped into larger houses with gardens as a positive, not single people in single cell. What are you thinking??

we're onto the population arguments now,which involves sociology. i too know of families in a single house,not a bad thing but people also want their own privacy sometimes and would take a 'cell' over hearing their parents ******ing in the middle of the night, esp if they was getting jiggy with it too :blink:

no technology has only served to make the elite more elite and the users obsolete.

a population timebomb we sure do have.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It's called a studio flat isn't it?

I lived in one in London, fine for a couple of years but after then I began to feel like I was living in a box.

No not any more they are now called suite's ,

They have built loads and loads of them in Docklands over the last few years about 300 sq ft. and about £300k in price.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Such places you describe exist, I lived in one in Harginghey...

It was just as you described room for a bed, a dresser + TV, there was a separate wet room. This was the toilet, shower, kitchen all combined into one. There was a shower head above the toilet and a shower curtain wet room thing. Behind the door was a roller shutter which had a twin hob in it and a micro sink which couldn't even fit a plate in it.

The rent was pretty high and over 50% of my pay packet went on it.

It was just an old victorian house cut up into loads of flats...

The idea of small = cheap holds no water.

Hong Kong and Beijing have some semi correct ideas though $900HK (£70) for a 14ft apartment with communal toilet and kitchen. In Beijing 4x2ft 'apartments' carved up for the youth in Beijing cost 1/27th of the average salary in Beijing.

If such things were to come to the UK they'd cost £500-900 a month to rent.

I lived in a 3 tatami (about 10 sqm) room in Kyoto. Just had a sink, single gas burner, futon and all for 30,000 a month (2 days pay). Have never been happier.

Amazing the women I had in that place!

Edited by council dweller