House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Council Plans To Spend £40,000 On Ipads

Just had to post this here so that it gets some attention. Leicester Council buying over 5o ipads. Hope they have not one job cut in Leicester.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7922502/Council-plans-to-spend-40000-on-iPads.html

One councillor justified the move claiming her laptop was ''heavy'' making it difficult to take to several meetings a day.

Council chiefs, who are expected to axe 1,000 jobs, claim the iPads will save money.

Too heavy me ar5e, I carried my DEll C640 across Asia and it tips the scales at 1.8 kilos.

And since they will be travelling by car (to claim more expenses) weight is barely an issue!

The stupid bit is, it made me more productive....

Since councils are parasites anyway, and they produce nothing, even if they increase productivity 200000% they still produce NOTHING!

One councillor justified the move claiming her laptop was ''heavy'' making it difficult to take to several meetings a day.
:lol:

Stop going to meetings...........or

It is indicative of how public sector deficit = private sector surplus. In this case 1,000 fricking Ipads.

2n1uxy0.jpg

Just had to post this here so that it gets some attention. Leicester Council buying over 5o ipads. Hope they have not one job cut in Leicester.

http://www.telegraph...0-on-iPads.html

to save weight and cost I suggest one of these smart pads:

note.jpg

post-10213-12807776854302_thumb.jpg

''If it does, and it can replace costly printing, then the council could potentially save £90,000 each year. I have a laptop but it is quite heavy, meaning it is awkward to take to several meetings in a day.

Sounds like the sort of feeble argument some gadget-loving husband makes to his naggy wife to justify a pointless purchase.

... although I suppose giving them to Councillors to do f'all's better than giving them to people to learn to kill.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/apples-magical-ipad-is-training-british-soldiers-to-kill/

One of the army training officers spoke to the BBC and explained: “If we can use this sort of technology, we can probably shorten the amount of training and that is pretty key nowadays when people are so committed to operations in Afghanistan.”

They apparently need the ipads because their current laptops are too heavy to take to meetings. If that's the only reason then they could easily buy one of these for £183 plus vat - a 70% saving. They also get an extra 100GB of storage space. Now do they need an ipad or just want an iplad?

Edit: and they have a proper keyboard which is 93% of the size of a normal keyboard.

Exactly what I was going to say Mmm... - this move is wanton, gimmick-driven profligacy.

They probably have a 17" macbook pro which weighs in at 3kg (and about 3k). They are heavy even if you're just carrying them from the car and back.

Blooodie wimp, when I were lad, we'd lug a Starfire E10k round on our backs and that were before hard day downt pit.

Ludicrous, they could have bought almost three netbooks, for every iPad. Of course they won't be saving anything as they have been using laptops so they should still have received documents as pdf attachements. Unless they were carrying around wads of documents as well as their laptops.

The worst thing about this, for me - other than the fact that the IPad is basically an expensive toy, not a serious business tool - is the fact that the idea had enough traction to get to the point that it was picked up by the media. Senior management must have looked at the proposal and signed it off. Even if it had been financially justified and genuinely offered a good ROI, it is astonishing that someone senior, with an ounce of sense, didn't shake their head in despair and kill the idea. It is absolutely obvious, to anybody who has a face, how such a purchase would be received by the public and whipped up by the press. Buying the ultimate executive-toy-of-the-year during a time of severe economic pressure. Hnnnnngggh!!!

They could have spent exactly the same money, even on something worse than the IPad, without raising a single eyebrow - but the IPad. FFS.

I can only conclude that it, again, indicates just how out of touch and contemptuous for the public, many sectors of the public sector have become. It is beyond belief anybody beyond a junior IT douche thought this was a good idea. It is a PR disaster in a giant turd, gift wrapped and hand delivered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7922502/Council-plans-to-spend-40000-on-iPads.html

The university I work for spends £350 on a iphone for any member of staff "who needs to be contacted outside working hours". Thats as long as you work in admin/HR otherwise no chance you are getting one.

Ludicrous, they could have bought almost three netbooks, for every iPad.

Netbooks are too slow and have rubbish screens compared to the iPad.

The iPad is probably a great solution if all you're doing is consuming content not creating it.

Netbooks are too slow and have rubbish screens compared to the iPad.

The iPad is probably a great solution if all you're doing is consuming content not creating it.

Then their argument is horse shit anyway as they claim they need these in meetings. If they simply need to consume data in meetings, use a projector, monitor, share a screen.

If they are all using their own IPad - why bother going to the meeting - vidcon at your desk with your £200 PC.

The IPad is basically a very clever way of making people part with their money through a fad.

£90k a year on printing?!?

£246.57 per day if they print every day of the year, if its only Mon-Fri (52 weeks = 260 days) thats £346.15 per day.

the only way this makes any sence is if they are inluding the lease/hire of the printers as well, but that would have to be nearly 1000 machines

and they wouldnt be saving that as they still would need the printers (ok they may be able to reduce the number by of machines)

madness