House Price Crash Forum

Gold seems to be down about 14% in the past 6 weeks or so...£860 to £740. That's gotta hurt the tin hat brigade? They've gone a bit quiet recently (or are they enjoying a beer with the sterling shorters)?

Gold seems to be down about 14% in the past 6 weeks or so...£860 to £740. That's gotta hurt the tin hat brigade? They've gone a bit quiet recently (or are they enjoying a beer with the sterling shorters)?

Wait till cali goes pop, back to 2.11$ & gold to 700$....that'll hurt !

The money system must be protected, even the banksters recognise this.

If folk loose confidence in the money system the games up, thats why it's not going to happen.

Edited by concerned_money

I am not a gold bug but surely if Cali went pop gold would soar?

Anyone know what is going on with shares? We used to get posts about small volumes of shares traded, hedge funds propping up the market by covering their short positions and companu insiders flogging their shares?

Anyone have have new info on this?

I got tonked a bit and lost some of my accumulated paper profits. A 'sharp exit' prevented further losses. Needless to say the weight of real gold in my possession didn't change in the process. It's only a small insurance amount and I don't measure that in government tokens.

yeah right

OK, deval=yes, inflate=yes, coinclip=yes, debase=yes BUT the illusion of the money system *MUST* and will be protected.

It made be a generation get whacked, but the system will continue, it's just too easy to rob the population (slave groups).

Many bought the dips after the big stock crash in 1929. It was an ill-advised strategy as it was three decades before stocks regained value.

As a wise man once said: "Not every dip is a buying opportunity. It can mean the beginning of a very long bear market."

Gold has disappointed. A couple of years ago many were saying it will go to the moon. The reality is that it has hit a wall at around $1200 despite some of the most dramatic economic shifts the world has known. The "safe haven" of gold has not materialised.

Deflation talk is spreading (perception = reality) and that has not helped gold gain traction. Money has been piling into bonds as a consequence.

Where next for gold? It depends on the property market. If the US market continues to drop and the last 2 men standing (UK and OZ) join the crash party we could see global deflation and a flight away from inflation hedges. I am still bullish on bonds despite Bill Gross saying he is not.

Many bought the dips after the big stock crash in 1929. It was an ill-advised strategy as it was three decades before stocks regained value.

As a wise man once said: "Not every dip is a buying opportunity. It can mean the beginning of a very long bear market."

Gold has disappointed. A couple of years ago many were saying it will go to the moon. The reality is that it has hit a wall at around $1200 despite some of the most dramatic economic shifts the world has known. The "safe haven" of gold has not materialised.

I am going to have to disagree with you here RB.

If I had bought gold when I first came on this site, and when Moneyweek were about 3 or 4 years into advising to buy gold, I would have doubled my money.

I hold no gold. I am not a gold bug but I know many of us were here a few years ago when gold was about 600 bucks and ounce... and we were arguing the toss then.

However, I think deflation fears are spreading.

You mean there is a danger that realistbear got a prediction correct? Get your deposits ready everyone!!! The crash must be coming.

You mean there is a danger that realistbear got a prediction correct? Get your deposits ready everyone!!! The crash must be coming.

The only prediction yet to materialise concerns gold. I am leaning slightly bearish on gold because it has failed to go to the moon but has stalled at around $1200. My biggest beef with gold is that, LT, it has proven to be the worst investment of them all, lagging even national savings. I got lucky in 1980 when I sold a horde of Sovs to help buy a house. The year gold peaked at around $860 or so. 30 year on and gold is worth less than it was in 1980 IA. Same amount invested in national savings or a stock index fund and you would have been avenues ahead.

Gold is good for short term punts. Buy low, sell high--its all about market timing. As a LT investment it sucks royally.

The current trend show people are becoming more open to risky investments. We may see a huge surge in stocks and FOREX bets but I see big trouble ahead. I just cannot accept that sovereign debt has vanished overnight without consequences and without massive deflation to lay economies to waste.

Deflation talk is spreading (perception = reality) and that has not helped gold gain traction. Money has been piling into bonds as a consequence.

Where next for gold? It depends on the property market. If the US market continues to drop and the last 2 men standing (UK and OZ) join the crash party we could see global deflation and a flight away from inflation hedges. I am still bullish on bonds despite Bill Gross saying he is not.

The US bear market in 29 lasted less than 3 years in numerical terms, anyone buying regularly from the top would have done very well, so its a pish poor example, it all depends on how long the bear market lasts, despite only having fallen about 50% to date this bear market of the last decade has been far more painful for ong term investors even though the depression tanked 90%

I suspect the bear market length is directly proportional to the amount of govt interference, ie they are making things worse causing further malinvestment every day they try to avoid the inevitable. Im sure if the Japanese govt had taken their medicine they could have reached bottom by mid 90s, instead they may still have 80% to fall 20 years later

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

I think RB is right medium term we go down until we all beg for QE, printing anything to get the show back on the road.

At the moment the tea party movement and Obamas increasing unpopularity prevent large scale stimulus plans.

Long term gold bull but I think we are going down to 800 again before it goes back up but it will be going up with everything else also.

I will be a gold bear when I am desperate to get money into that bank account since the IRates are wonderful.

Edited by Fromage Frais

Most of us couldn't give a monkeys about gold; it's property prices that draw people to the site.

I was so pleased when the tedious Goldfinger went off in a huff.

Most of us couldn't give a monkeys about gold; it's property prices that draw people to the site.

I was so pleased when the tedious Goldfinger went off in a huff.

what about those interested in buying a property such as

house-made-of-gold-2.jpg

a perfect hedge for the savvy investor, economy makes a miraculous recovery, house price up, gold price fcked,economy goes to pot, house price fcked, gold price up

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Look at a 10yr gold chart. You'll find it most interesting.

what about those interested in buying a property such as

a perfect hedge for the savvy investor, economy makes a miraculous recovery, house price up, gold price fcked,economy goes to pot, house price fcked, gold price up

Not bad, but I prefer to think of this as the perfect hedge:

Yew-Hedge_789388c.jpg

I am going to have to disagree with you here RB.

If I had bought gold when I first came on this site, and when Moneyweek were about 3 or 4 years into advising to buy gold, I would have doubled my money.

I hold no gold. I am not a gold bug but I know many of us were here a few years ago when gold was about 600 bucks and ounce... and we were arguing the toss then.

However, I think deflation fears are spreading.

Ahhhhhhhm. Deflation will cause gold to rally if it takes hold. It is 'fear' of inflation or deflation which makes it rise. It was artificially held back in the US during the 30's and when the Govt HAD ENFORCED ITS SALE TO THEM, THEY SOLD IT ON for a handsome profit of 50% more or so from memory.

It is having a rest. Gone from $400 a few short years ago. It could fall further, but there may be some resistance if the deflation news gets much stronger. That's the advice of some. So take your pick.

Ahhhhhhhm. Deflation will cause gold to rally if it takes hold. It is 'fear' of inflation or deflation which makes it rise. It was artificially held back in the US during the 30's and when the Govt HAD ENFORCED ITS SALE TO THEM, THEY SOLD IT ON for a handsome profit of 50% more or so from memory.

It is having a rest. Gone from $400 a few short years ago. It could fall further, but there may be some resistance if the deflation news gets much stronger. That's the advice of some. So take your pick.

Um, couldn't they force you to sell it to them again?

I am not so sure of "one way bets" any more. If Gold will rise despite any scenario it may be in that "new paradigm" category which is really a bit delusional. IMO, its entirely sentiment driven. You can't eat it or build anything with it and its only value is what the market says it can be swapped for. If the investors are getting bored they will dump it and pile into something else.

That's something else appears to be UK Pounds at the moment. Next week? WTFK.

Bottom line: WTFKWGO.