House Price Crash Forum

Boris, Bickertons And Advancing Years

piece of paper

HOLA441

A year or so back I decided to buy a bike so that I could accompany my young son on his and try to instil a little road sense. Nothing came of this as the season changed and his interest in cycling gave way to a well known northern football team.

The result was that I had little to show other than an old Bicketon picked up from flea bay for a few quid.

Boris has just reawakened my interest with his new super-tanker bikes so I dusted, washed and lubricated the bike, lubricating myself also.

All ready to go except my nerves. I gave up cycling in the mid 1970s when I got my driving licence. Setting off into Westminster is daunting! How can I best overcome this rational fear of being smeared down the tarmac by a bendy bus?

Any other oldies discovered that their nerves are shakier than they used to be? How did you get over them? I have a high ladder climb to do soon as well.

Is being pissed when undertaking these things the answer?

p-o-p

HOLA442

I can't advise on getting nervous when you're older (i'm 40). As far as cycling in London goes, be assertive, not aggressive. Always go to the front of a traffic queue at lights etc. Always try to make eye contact with drivers when crossing a junction. Always be alert, more alert than everyone else, and you should be fine. I have commuted full time by bike for the last 5 years, ad part time for the last 10. I haven't had a 'serious' accident yet, in fact any minor stuff has been other people not looking, not being alert i.e crazy guy cycling off the pavement into my path without looking.

HOLA443

I can't advise on getting nervous when you're older (i'm 40). As far as cycling in London goes, be assertive, not aggressive. Always go to the front of a traffic queue at lights etc. Always try to make eye contact with drivers when crossing a junction. Always be alert, more alert than everyone else, and you should be fine. I have commuted full time by bike for the last 5 years, ad part time for the last 10. I haven't had a 'serious' accident yet, in fact any minor stuff has been other people not looking, not being alert i.e crazy guy cycling off the pavement into my path without looking.

So I'm standing there cuffed whilst she's shouting "'E was looking at me all odd like. I was only bleedin' lookin' in the mirror and stickin' lipstick on. Bleedin' perve 'e is"

p-o-p

HOLA444

Returning to the bike after a long, long time, and in a different world. No wonder you're struggling a bit with your confidence!

Get yourself some proper training. There are adult training courses around, and since you're in London you shouldn't have to travel to find one. Hopefully, you should be able to find one by asking google, your local bike shop, or the CTC.

HOLA445

I've ridden to work in London for about 15 years, and done stupid mileages outside London, so for once I'm reasonably well qualified to post.

1) Be predictable. If you behave like a car, then the car (and bus drivers) will find you where they expect to find you. Ride your bike just as you would drive.

2) Don't ride in the gutter - you'll get punctures and have to swerve for drains. Don't ride in the middle of the lane either, as this pisses the drivers off - ride somewhere in between.

3) Don't go up the inside of lorries, especially at traffic lights. Most fatalities are caused by lorries turning left onto cyclists that have gone up the inside.

4) Don't do the "going round the roundabout in the left hand lane if you're turning right" thing. A sure way to get twatted, act like a car.

5) Get some LED lights. You don't need something to show you the way in London (it isn't dark), but you do need to stand out. Use them as soon as it starts to get dark.

6) Don't bother carrying puncture repair stuff - carry a spare tube and a pump. Repair the old tube in the comfort of your home, not on the roadside.

7) Pump the tyres up hard - it makes a real difference.

Archived