House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Confounded

Are Your Work Prospects Improving Or Not?

Just a poll to gauge how things are going for people.

My current job is in the private sector but is linked to a University and having muddled through the first phase of the depression it seems things are looking very bleak going forward. Due to a new contract not being agreed we could be out of jobs in a month.

We deliver on-line training and our course is oversubscribed because it is possible for students to boost their qualifications while also in employment. Something I can only see growing in demand for when people wake up to the University degree con. Classic case of baby out with the bath water but obviously the Universities will support their core staff and interest.

To give a positive my wife in the process of securing a permanent job within the local NHS which I was dubious would get signed off in the current climate so not all negative news and the purpose of this poll to gauge what things are like out there?

Edited by Confounded

Guest absolutezero

"Hardly ever is the question asked:

Is our children learning?"

George W Bush.

Guest absolutezero

You have to vote in both questions so you're going to get some funny results.

Can I suggest adding to the public sector question "I am private sector" and to the private sector questions "I am public sector"?

Rather bizarre phrasing for the public sector:

# Ression has had little effect so far with things looking stable going forward.

# Recession has had little effect so far with things looking worrying going forward.

So apparently the recession has had little effect either way? :huh: Could the public sector workers be the judge of that please?

I think you'll find it's "Are your work prospects improving........?"

Rather bizarre phrasing for the public sector:

So apparently the recession has had little effect either way? :huh: Could the public sector workers be the judge of that please?

Could you add to the questions..

Public Sector hard hit already

Third sector hard hit already

Else.. there is no relevant box to tick

Private sector: Ression has had little effect so far with things looking stable

(Couldn't find this option)

All good suggestions and added in.

Go for the recovering solidly since March 09 option.

I have done, but its misleading. Everyone knows things were bad last year, but now the private sector is coming out of it. Just in time to slash public sector to nothing.

I have done, but its misleading. Everyone knows things were bad last year, but now the private sector is coming out of it. Just in time to slash public sector to nothing.

It was not bad for everyone because our largest number of votes so far has been for little impact of the recession and a stable work environment.

It was not bad for everyone because our largest number of votes so far has been for little impact of the recession and a stable work environment.

thank the relative de-unionisation of the workforce for that

Guest absolutezero

That's because the recession hasn't really started yet.

Wit 'til the public sector cuts hit the private sector. That's when there will be rattles thrown out of the pram on here en masse.

Guest absolutezero

thank the relative de-unionisation of the workforce for that

Nonsense crossed out.

Thank the fact we haven't really had the recession yet for that.

To give a positive my wife in the process of securing a permanent job within the local NHS which I was dubious would get signed off in the current climate so not all negative news and the purpose of this poll to gauge what things are like out there?

Admin? Front end?

Salaries down %39 for Civil Technicians and that is only 2 jobs within commuting distance. I took a job as a support worker the pay is low, but I get home between 2 and 430pm, no stupid boss screaming at 6pm to work till 10pm with 30 minutes notice. Much happier now, chewing over what to do next but bills covered at least. Waves good bye to Engineering.

Admin? Front end?

Front end.

A vaguely relevant anecdotal came my way yesterday. A relative of mine recently remarried and had a baby. She bought a 2 bed flat in Birmingham in 08 and her husband has a house in another area. They could not possibly live in the 2 bed flat with a baby so they are renting a big family home at vast expense while trying to sell both their houses. Neither are selling (after a long period on the market) and the management agency for the flats has just gone bust and there are other issues over shared space.

She trained as a chiropodist but found her way onto the NHS management gravy train and apparently that is not looking so stable atm....

I work in the Humber Ports , there was a huge drop off in goods coming and going and we were getting very little work.

I was lucky in that i had no debt and was capable of living off 10hrs work a week but to most lads that was not an option so they left , as work has picked up i've been offered all the overtime going and because i did all the crappy shifts that nobody wanted i seem to be getting the good deals at the moment. They are still not taking people on even though we are back to where we were before pre downturn , they would rather pay us overtime than take on more staff. This is what is happening up and down the country i reckon , the 90% employed will be able to make up the shortfall of expenditure from the 10% unemployed.

Everyone where I work, university research group, is worried about job cuts (one guy is already out the door in a few months and I know other similar groups have lost up to 25% of staff already - though that was under labour....)

I also had to take on a lot of extra work recently - it was made clear to me although this is optional, when the axe inevitably falls this will be looked on very favourably when they assess peoples performance..