House Price Crash Forum

Express: House Prices To Soar By 20%

Just means the bust will eventually be bigger and more brutal? let`s face it, if you have not cashed in by now you are not going to, irrespective of the headlines? IMO the choice for most is stay where you are and pay or get repo`d, only those who bought some time ago have the luxury of cutting to a sellable price if they want to move and get on with their life?

Usual HPC ******** born out of jealousy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sibley has been all over SKY News saying how glad he is prices are rising (sorry that some "leading" economist said prices are rising) Apparently if you think its wrong that prices are high you are a doom monger and against the hard working - what a complete t*t

It really amazes me how so many people (like sibbers) believe that the increase in value of their homes is in any way attributable to 'hard work' - as if they've 'earned' the equity.

Just to add; will sheeple stop buying the Express when they twig they are being lied to?

No, if someone is 'reading' the Express now on a regular basis I would dare to suggest that they are officially braindead and would never understand anything other than what is told them in very basic headlines in that excuse for a paper.

At least Sun readers get the bonus of the Page 3 girl, what possible reason does anyone have for reading the Express?!

It really amazes me how so many people (like sibbers) believe that the increase in value of their homes is in any way attributable to 'hard work' - as if they've 'earned' the equity.

of course if you rent and work you are not as hard working as somebody that owns property. And the golden rule is that if you buy a house it must rise in value and if anyone says otherwise they are doom mongers and vultures trying to take your hard earned property away - regardless of the fact that a house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it

And Emma Partridge of Halifax, Britain’s biggest mortgage lender, said there was further good news for home owners.

Further to what? Am I missing something big here?

She said: “Because this is happening at the same time as low interest rates,

Again she refers to something "happening". What's happening out there (I have not been out today)?

this morning i saw a couple of old biddies in a tea shoppe with a copy of this on their table.

i expect they were delighted.

more cash for them to add another commemorative plate or two to their 'Diana, Queen of Hearts' collections. or perhaps get their home security systems updated in response to the continuing influx of 'coloureds' into the country etc...

Happy in their 4 bed detached homes, one bedroom spare for the Royal Doultan Collection? They didn't buy an Ipod back then, if the young do the same, they too can get a foot on the fabled property ladder! Snarf snarf!

Oh my gosh, it simply must be true if its in the Express, don't you think?

Strange that in your case it also happens to be an anti-EU newspaper. ;)

Let`s roll them all out. :lol:

BTW I would be interested in your opinion on Belgium. If the country splits in two would this have a serious effect on the EU. Would the President of the Council be forced to stand down ?

No, if someone is 'reading' the Express now on a regular basis I would dare to suggest that they are officially braindead and would never understand anything other than what is told them in very basic headlines in that excuse for a paper.

At least Sun readers get the bonus of the Page 3 girl, what possible reason does anyone have for reading the Express?!

They possibly need the paper for something, packing maybe?

The problem does appear to be starting again. I can't understand why though when you consider how difficult it is to get on the ladder. Some banks are asking for 20% deposits and charging huge fees.

The rises are concentrated mainly in Hamshire, Dorset, Essex and Surrey but it is spreading.

Just to say, CEBR forecasts make Michael Fish look like a genius

In 2007...

A leading think tank says Britain's housing boom will continue in 2007, with average prices rising by more than £1,000 a month.

The latest forecast from the Centre for Economics and Business Research says: 'Despite recent rate rises, house prices will continue to grow in 2007 and 2008, with annual house price inflation this year expected to hit 7.6 per cent.'

But the CEBR is forecasting slower growth in 2008 and 2009, when house prices will probably increase by just 1.5 per cent and 3.9 per cent respectively. However, it does not share some experts' fears that the market could be in for a correction of between 15 and 20 per cent

Jaspreet Sehmi, an economist at CEBR, says: 'Rate rises will have no immediate impact on prices as other factors, such as the continued strength of the financial services sector, remain more important.'

John Ward, one of the report's authors, added: 'The underlying fundamentals of the housing market continue to support prices. Even though interest rate rises may act as a dampener on the market, people are spending considerably less of their incomes on mortgages than in the early 1990s. Furthermore, in many parts of the country, shortages remain acute.'

Although the CEBR is forecasting a weaker housing market in 2008/9, it believes inflation will accelerate again by the end of the decade, with an annual average price rise of 7.1 per cent in 2010.

If that is correct, the average price of a home in Britain will go up from £187,000 today to £225,000 in 2010. But the CEBR said the market was likely see a slowdown towards the end of the year, due to the impact of three rate rises.

Then in 2008, they switched around, but still got it wrong!!

House prices will continue to fall for another 12 months and will not bounce back to last year's levels until at least 2013, a leading economics group said today.

The problem does appear to be starting again. I can't understand why though when you consider how difficult it is to get on the ladder. Some banks are asking for 20% deposits and charging huge fees.

The rises are concentrated mainly in Hamshire, Dorset, Essex and Surrey but it is spreading.

Essex? No it's not! Latest land reg 0.0% in Essex. July rightmove south east -1.9%. It's Wales holding the country up not the south east! Ask TMT.

a very good post,

i have family who are now i danger of losing there homes.

we are trying to work out how to save them.

i hate hpi it is now causing real pain for family and fiends.

this is no longer a joke.

We could offer sympathy but that won't help.

I can't really advise directly not having been through this, however I can relate the stories of 2 friends 'C.' & 'M.' from the last downturn.

C. put all his eggs in 1 basket - a house, lost his job, had CC debts, spent the redundancy on improving the house, eventually hid in a bedroom and left his wife to sell up to clear the arrears & mortgage.

M. paid too much for a flat and ended up in NE. However he also had modest investments and no other debt. Moved around and did jobs that gave him real grief to keep employed, rented the flat.

Had equity in flat within 2-3 years. Now has a house with a sub £10k mortgage.

Ideally, try to find an M. and talk to them. I think there are posters on here who have faced such problems. If anyone in the family is a C. they must be made to face up to reality immediately or removed from the decision making process. Someone is going to have to be brutal for the good of the wider family sadly.

Best of Luck to your family. Keep us posted.

Peter Bolton King, chief executive of the National Association of Estate Agents, said: “This just shows there is confidence out there from people who should know what they’re talking about, that investing in property is good. It gives people that little bit of confidence in the UK economy.” But he warned Britain faced a shortage of homes on the market.

He didn't mention the property ladder, property only ever goes up and missed boats. but marks for shortage of houses. Overall 3 out of 10 as the standard phrases must be included. Must do better.

Shortage of homes on the Market? That is so 2009, get with the times man!