Express: House Prices To Soar By 20%

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest absolutezero

What a quality paper:

2010-07-13.jpg

"Ethnics"? That must be the mindset of the average Express reader ....

I'm more amused by "MYTHS AND TRUTHS ABOUT YOUR EYES". :lol:

Unfortunately it does. Headlines like this will slow down the supply of properties coming onto the market from sellers keen to beat a falling market, convincing them that if they sit tight they will get far more for their house in a few months time.

It sickens me to read such drivel (in the newsagents - I obviously don't buy the shite) but I am afraid that the MSM do have incredible influence on sentiment which, as we know, can affect reality.

Papers like the Express print headlines stating things like the ludicrous prediction above of 50% HPI going forward from 2007.

Yet there is no backlash when it doesn't happen.

Where are the angry Express readers who followed their sage advice?

Where is the accountability?

If these journos are so certain how come we don't hear about them staking their jobs or pensions on these one way bets?

I'm more amused by "MYTHS AND TRUTHS ABOUT YOUR EYES". :lol:

The Express, whilst right wing was actually worth reading in the 70s.

But somewhere along the line they gave up the unequal struggle with 24hr news and the Internet and went all 'male chicken'.

Edited by xux42

No linky yet--just heard it on R4 followed by a bit of disdain by the reporter.

The Express are rivals to HPC.co apparently.

edit:

http://www.dailyexpr...sts/view/190600

Martin Gahbauer, chief economist at the Nationwide building society, said: “It’s not a double dip and it’s not a massive boom, which would not be good for the market.

“People can be cautiously optimistic. If it turns out that way, it would probably lift quite a few people out of negative equity within two to three years.”

And Emma Partridge of Halifax, Britain’s biggest mortgage lender, said there was further good news for home owners.

She said: “Because this is happening at the same time as low interest rates, it’s providing people with the opportunity to pay more to improve their equity. And if there aren’t going to be any further drops in house prices then that enables people to bolster their equity as well.”

Fantastical wishful nonsense, H. Rider Haggard would be proud. You know large scale collapse is close when this sort of pish starts being published, there is definately Fear afoot now in the public, and in the media.

Unfortunately it does. Headlines like this will slow down the supply of properties coming onto the market from sellers keen to beat a falling market, convincing them that if they sit tight they will get far more for their house in a few months time.

It sickens me to read such drivel (in the newsagents - I obviously don't buy the shite) but I am afraid that the MSM do have incredible influence on sentiment which, as we know, can affect reality.

Just means the bust will eventually be bigger and more brutal? let`s face it, if you have not cashed in by now you are not going to, irrespective of the headlines? IMO the choice for most is stay where you are and pay or get repo`d, only those who bought some time ago have the luxury of cutting to a sellable price if they want to move and get on with their life?

Well if house prices are to soar then surely the following conditions must be met

1. The rate of unemployment needs to reverse
  2. Mortgage availability needs to increase with in excess of 100% mortgages
  3. People need pay rises to keep up with inflation
  4. The demand for property needs to outstrip supply

I don't see any of these conditions being met at the moment or in the near future, so it will not happen.

Well if house prices are to soar then surely the following conditions must be met

1. The rate of unemployment needs to reverse
  2. Mortgage availability needs to increase with in excess of 100% mortgages
  3. People need pay rises to keep up with inflation
  4. The demand for property needs to outstrip supply

I don't see any of these conditions being met at the moment or in the near future, so it will not happen.

Agreed.

WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM!????? Sorry for caps but this is driving me nuts. Where eh? Everyone is tapped out, personally, family-wise, institutionally, governmentally, internationally. Where do these rotting old farts think unemployed Gen Xs and Ys are going to get a further 20% on a 250k 1-bed flat from? Idiots.

WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM!????? Sorry for caps but this is driving me nuts. Where eh? Everyone is tapped out, personally, family-wise, institutionally, governmentally, internationally. Where do these rotting old farts think unemployed Gen Xs and Ys are going to get a further 20% on a 250k 1-bed flat from? Idiots.

Yes this gets my goat too.

As if the fact that simply because something is in short supply (which it isn't in fact), the price will go up regardless of how anyone's actually going to pay for it.

The magic money fairy will sort it out.

Saw that same mentality in the CEBR report.

Of course, it's a hangover from the good ol' days where you could walk in to a broker/bank, lie about your income and get a wad of cash via fraud.

We still live in la-la land I'm afraid when it comes to real estate in the UK.

Just calm down, remember it's the Express and bring to mind that in March 1991 the Times ran a piece saying that house prices were to rise 66% in five years due to...lack of supply.

[quote name='zilly' date='02 August 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1280744460' post='2649686'

Just calm down, remember it's the Express and bring to mind that in March 1991 the Times ran a piece saying that house prices were to rise 66% in five years due to...lack of supply.

Maybe it is just 20 years early - I can see the Spring Bounce on it's way. :)

Didn't realise the Express had so much influence.

Look at the ftse 250 top risers today , all the builders are showing big gains.

your post has just been ripped by Sibley on the Express message board - he just changed 'big' to 'large'!

FTSE TOP 250 RISERS.

02.08.10, 11:32am

I didn't realise the Express had so much influence.

Look at the FTSE 250 top risers today .All the building companies are showing large gains.

I say well done to the Express.

• Posted by: Sibley • Report Comment

Sibbers, are you lurking again?

:unsure::unsure::lol:

Edited by red

Please come back sibbers so we can abuse you :D how do you like the 3 (4 on thurs) consecutive months of house price falls? Enjoying the crash so far?

Considering someone from Halifax said there'd be more good news for homeowners in the Daily Bulls**t article, it makes me wonder whether the figures will be negative again this week... <_<

Considering someone from Halifax said there'd be more good news for homeowners in the Daily Bulls**t article, it makes me wonder whether the figures will be negative again this week... <_<

They will be negative. That's just some nobody they quoted the report is kept secret until release (apparently)

I had a chuckle when I heard that.

I'm surprised that Sibbers isn't posting on MSE and keeping McTwattish company.

Sibley has been all over SKY News saying how glad he is prices are rising (sorry that some "leading" economist said prices are rising) Apparently if you think its wrong that prices are high you are a doom monger and against the hard working - what a complete t*t

and no doubt youve personally called every trader whos made a trade within the last 12 hours to confirm that they have acted based on the Express article and the colour of David Camerons underwear today, you must have some phone bill

It is well known that the FOREX is driven by fundamentals and THE biggest driver in the UK is house prices. Everytime there is a big move up or down from NW or Halifax Sterling reacts to it. For now FOREX sees the UK as viable as there is no HPC--yet. The last dip in prices saw the Pound laid to waste from 2.13 to below 1.50 (as forecast).

Positive banking news (and who do the banks lend most of their money to: house buyers) is driving Sterling rapidly up as the Credit Agencies wait to see if we are going to do anything about our 4-5TR debt . IF unemployment kicks in and exports drop due to an overvalued pound FOREX will react accordingly. Right now everything about UK Plc is rosy and FOREX is predictably [pushing the Pound higher. It isn't exactly rocket science.

1 GBP =

$=1.58196

Euro=1.21040

Sterling up against most currencies as Euro remains mostly static vs. the $. May be a big well off in Swissies soon to buy Pounds as our banking sector may save the day as they continue to fleece the population and clear the tills for their bonuses.

Edited by Realistbear

this morning i saw a couple of old biddies in a tea shoppe with a copy of this on their table.

i expect they were delighted.

more cash for them to add another commemorative plate or two to their 'Diana, Queen of Hearts' collections. or perhaps get their home security systems updated in response to the continuing influx of 'coloureds' into the country etc...

It is well known that the FOREX is driven by fundamentals and THE biggest driver in the UK is house prices. Everytime there is a big move up or down from NW or Halifax Sterling reacts to it. For now FOREX sees the UK as viable as there is no HPC--yet. The last dip in prices saw the Pound laid to waste from 2.13 to below 1.50 (as forecast).

Positive banking news (and who do the banks lend most of their money to: house buyers) is driving Sterling rapidly up as the Credit Agencies wait to see if we are going to do anything about our 4-5TR debt . IF unemployment kicks in and exports drop due to an overvalued pound FOREX will react accordingly. Right now everything about UK Plc is rosy and FOREX is predictably [pushing the Pound higher. It isn't exactly rocket science.

1 GBP =

$=1.58196

Euro=1.21040

Sterling up against most currencies as Euro remains mostly static vs. the $. May be a big well off in Swissies soon to buy Pounds as our banking sector may save the day as they continue to fleece the population and clear the tills for their bonuses.

That will be why sterling slid 20% when house prices rose between November and May, and has risen 15% since house prices have stopped rising since May, maybe you need to tell the traders that they are doing it wrong, whilst your at it you can tell the market its wrong aswell.

Keep digging.