House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
privatefraser

Ken Clarke - The Last Throw Of The Dice

sadly he probably has no chance and a Blair clone will win.

I am an anarchist but Ken has guts , integrity and decency.

God Bless Him

You only like him because he was agaisnt the Iraq war :D

Only joking really, i dont know what qualities he has as a politician, but politicians by the nature of their work are lying scum.

If we must have them though we should go for the best of the bad bunch.

You only like him because he was agaisnt the Iraq war  :D 

Only joking really, i dont know what qualities he has as a politician, but politicians by the nature of their work are lying scum.

Thats Ken probably.

Line up what Ken did when he was in Office and then compare it against what Blair has done.

It would be like looking at a Traffic Wardens logbook and comparing it to the memoirs of a monster Like Lenin.

I want to get a T Shirt made up with Ken on it. Not sure of the logo yet.

He has a paunch, he drinks and he smokes and he believes in human frailty and doesnt want to lock everyone up unlike nuLab.

He was agin Iraq for moral , legal and common sense reasons.

Ken is great,

You only like him because he was agaisnt the Iraq war  :D 

Ken is a top man. Very genuine. Likes Jazz (That makes it all right in my book)

He is very practical and does understand both micro and macro issues in my heart I am an anarcistic marxist but if every tory was like Ken they would get my vote.

Kenneth Clarke has for years been a director of BAT. In this function he continues to actively promote the sale of cigarettes to the third world.

Cigarettes kill millions each year.

Many more people than from terrorism

Is this really the sort of person that should be leading the conservative party???

If Ken does get the leadership job it will be IMHO another own goal for the Tories. Labour will milk the tobacco link for all its worth.

Kenneth Clarke has for years been a director of BAT. In this function he continues to actively promote the sale of cigarettes to the third world.

Is this really the sort of person that should be leading the conservative party???

If Ken does get the leadership job it will be IMHO another own goal for the Tories. Labour will milk the tobacco link for all its worth.

cigarettes bring a great deal of pleasure to billions of people. Life kills. Get over it.

Guest wrongmove

I like Ken too - he is actually my MP. But flogging addictive drugs to poor people will, I agree, give Labour much ammunition.

You can choose not to smoke , you cant choose not to get bombed.

D

Ken is 65 now so that means he'll be pushing 70 by the time the next election comes along. I can't see that helping his cause and the fact that the Tories are currently clueless doesn't help either.

He's got his work cut out.

Well personally anyone who is stupid enough to smoke in my opinion is mentally ill, however I would defend their right to do so. Pretty much all cubans (males) smoke big f@ck off cigars and they are all commies!

Ken is 65 now so that means he'll be pushing 70 by the time the next election comes along. I can't see that helping his cause and the fact that the Tories are currently clueless doesn't help either.

He's got his work cut out.

I suspect you are young.

This is ageism.

It is experience that is needed, someone that has been around the block a few times, not some selfish yuppie (its trendy to be left wing) upstart like Blair.

I suspect you are young.

This is ageism.

It is experience that is needed, someone that has been around the block a few times, not some selfish yuppie (its trendy to be left wing) upstart like Blair.

His age wouldn't bother me but will certainly be an issue for many other voters.

Unfortunately the selection decision will be made by Tory MPs who seem to be very much behind Davis (at evens with Ken at 5/2).

So, yet another 8 years in the wilderness for the 'Blue Rinsers'.

Edited by 737

Kenneth Clarke has for years been a director of BAT.

It's a bit of a b*gger that one. I'd really like to see Clarke at the helm of the Conservative party (and possibly the nation... though I like him a lot more than I like most of the rest of his party) but it's unlikely I could ever bring myself to vote for someone with such flexible morals.

Having said that, I'm happy to accept goverment services partly funded by smoking taxation, so maybe my morals are as flexible as the next person's.

Andrew McP

I can't believe your seroius with Ken Clarke and yet you pray for a house price crash.

He would have had us in the Euro with no control over interest rates at 2%!.

You would have seen houseprices go the way of ireland over 8 time earnings or possibly much, much worse because Ireland has simple housing supply laws - we have real supply problems!

It would have been a utter castostophic disaster. Thank god he doesn't stand a chance.

I believe David Davis grew up on a council housing estate in tooting. He is the future of the party and opposition IMO, not another politically VI entrenched lawyer running the country like Blair or Clarke who has never seen life from the point of view of ordinary people.

I'd have thought that makes him ideally qualified myself....

As to whoever said it's NuLab that wants to 'lock em all up' - I suggest you review Tory policy - no reform there.. remember 'Prison Works' (although it doesn't).

The Torys remain a collection of old farts and bigots, and will fail until the new crop get through and actually practice what they preach - small government, personal and economic liberty. As it stands they witter on about immigrants and crime despite the fact that these are not really significant propblems to anyone but the Daily mail brigade...

I can't believe your seroius with Ken Clarke and yet you pray for a house price crash.

You would have seen houseprices go the way of ireland over 8 time earnings or possibly much, much worse because Ireland has simple housing supply laws - we have real supply problems!

It would have been a utter castostophic disaster. Thank god he doesn't stand a chance.

I believe David Davis grew up on a council housing estate in tooting. He is the future of the party and opposition IMO, not another politically VI entrenched lawyer running the country like Blair or Clarke who has never seen life from the point of view of ordinary people.

Personally I dont fully buy into the interest rate argument, I think it is very true that many people have over extended themselves over the perception of affordability.

However, if as a result of multiple economic disasters the BOE attempts to lower interest rates I doubt even 0% will save the impending crash.

It is all sentiment, nothing more nothing less. Interest rates are a red herring. I think there are equally as many people that would have looked equally at the abolsute amount borrowed as well as their monthly interest payments.

I'd have thought that makes him ideally qualified myself....

The Torys remain a collection of old farts and bigots, and will fail until the new crop get through and actually practice what they preach - small government, personal and economic liberty. As it stands they witter on about immigrants and crime despite the fact that these are not really significant propblems to anyone but the Daily mail brigade...

Quite so. Given their record, I'd put money on the party faithful piling in behind Rifkind, simply because he's the most unelectable of the lot. I don't actually think Ken is that bad - but then, if you voted for him you'd be letting in all the other bigots, hypocrites and idiots they have as MPs to run the country. And that frightens me. I'll give you Tim 'I like familes so much I had two of them on the go at once - but single mums are scum' Yeo for starters.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Entirely my sentiments, how on earth can the man be so pro europe knowing the amount of corruption that is going on. Look at the morals of Neil Kinnock.

Any politician who supports the new constitution you can bet he and his friends have a vested interest, normally a great financial gain.

Guest tenant super
sadly he probably has no chance and a Blair clone will win.

I am an anarchist but Ken has guts , integrity and decency.

God Bless Him

I'd vote for Ken if he'd propose radical reform of the government at Westminster. Surely this should be attended only by English MPs, the Scots and the Welsh Assemblies require increased autonomy after all?

Scotland for the Scottish, Wales for the Welsh, England for the English and N Ireland for the people who live in Northern Ireland (steady), how could that ever be wrong?

Oh and as an aside, take out the Celtic MPs and english domestic politics start getting interesting again. Is this on any of the candidates agenda though?

For a Conservative, Ken Clarke is quite human. Yes, he likes jazz, wears hush puppies and smokes cigars. He's also on the realist wing of the party (a very, very, small faction).

However, as Health Secretary he famously described ambulance staff as glorified taxi drivers, and was Chancellor in the most inept administration since the end of the War. His party is full of bigots, whose idea of social policy is to return to the 1950s. Clarke may be electable, but the Tories are not. If they had elected Michael Portillo when they had the chance, they would have demonstrated an understanding of the society they live in. Of course, because he is a normal human being, who recognises that Europe is not a threat but an opportunity, that will preclude the elderly, reactionary members of his party from wanting him as leader anyway.

Tory leadship elections are fun to watch. they remind me of the Pamplona bull run - bruising and bloody and of no real purpose in the modern world.

In my opinion Ken is about the only chance the conservatives have at being elected in the next 10 years. Davis is just more of the same of the last 3 disasters.

Ken v Brown. Now that would be interesting. Davis stands no chance. Whether you want labour or conservatives in, the reason labour has got away with so much is because the conservatives are so weak.

For a Conservative, Ken Clarke is quite human. Yes, he likes jazz, wears hush puppies and smokes cigars. He's also on the realist wing of the party (a very, very, small faction).

However, as Health Secretary he famously described ambulance staff as glorified taxi drivers, and was Chancellor in the most inept administration since the end of the War. His party is full of bigots, whose idea of social policy is to return to the 1950s. Clarke may be electable, but the Tories are not. If they had elected Michael Portillo when they had the chance, they would have demonstrated an understanding of the society they live in. Of course, because he is a normal human being, who recognises that Europe is not a threat but an opportunity, that will preclude the elderly, reactionary members of his party from wanting him as leader anyway.

Tory leadship elections are fun to watch. they remind me of the Pamplona bull run - bruising and bloody and of no real purpose in the modern world.

Very accurate summing up.