House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Getting A Crb Check?

Hi HPC

How do I get myself a CRB check? individuals cannot apply for them as per the home office website. I require one for getting visas and reckoned it best to get one before hand.

Thanks

Hi HPC

How do I get myself a CRB check? individuals cannot apply for them as per the home office website. I require one for getting visas and reckoned it best to get one before hand.

Thanks

Take one of the jobs I keep sending you Ken! They'll pay for it.

Awaiting correction but I didn't know that there was an individual route. CRB checks are non-transferrable so you have to get a new one every time you start a new job, or rather the employer does.

Guest Ian Chesterton

Hi HPC

Thanks

Get a basic report from Disclosure Scotland - individuals can apply for them and they cover crimes across the whole UK. Not sure if a non-Scotland resident can apply, but I don't see why not - I've sent off for an enhanced one for someone still living in England.

Do a bit of voluntary work - the organisation who you volunteer for will pay for it then.

Even a minimal amount of time given will probably require a CRB check. I do the flowers for a dining room in a hospital, and even that merits a form....

Work in any place that children or vulnerable adults are about require a check.

The place you volunteer at will be grateful of your help too.

Are you sure the visa people really want a CRB check? For Canadian visas you used to be able to get a Data Protection Act printout from the police, now I believe you have to pay the ACPO for the privilege (how does a private organisation of cops get the rights to run criminal records checks on people?)

My last job with a bank, they used "Disclosure Scotland" to do my check. And I still have the certificate as a souvenir.

Hi HPC

Thanks

Where do you want the visa for? I know Aus has its own police check that it has done as part of the application process. This is not the same thing as a CRB check. I'd find out exactly what you need as a starting point and check whether the country you're applying to will accept one anyway or whether it'll want their own one done.

Where do you want the visa for? I know Aus has its own police check that it has done as part of the application process. This is not the same thing as a CRB check. I'd find out exactly what you need as a starting point and check whether the country you're applying to will accept one anyway or whether it'll want their own one done.

Taiwan, Thailand are my next soonish destinations, I feel the economy here is getting worse and therefore with a few of my teaching qualifications and ACCA status I could do an awful lot worse than sit out the recession overseas teaching (even though I will be discriminated against somewhat as they like Farangs as teachers)

Taiwan, Thailand are my next soonish destinations, I feel the economy here is getting worse and therefore with a few of my teaching qualifications and ACCA status I could do an awful lot worse than sit out the recession overseas teaching (even though I will be discriminated against somewhat as they like Farangs as teachers)

Have you thought about the middle east? Shitty place but you get paid a fortune for teaching out there and you still get 13 weeks a year holiday to go somewhere where you can get pissed.

Have you thought about the middle east? Shitty place but you get paid a fortune for teaching out there and you still get 13 weeks a year holiday to go somewhere where you can get pissed.

Yes I know you get about 18000 Riyals a month for teaching out there about £3K tax free, there being no such thing as night life and nothing really to spend money on it is a place where you can save considerable amounts of money As there is usually included accomodation with companies like Bell. Hoever they want people with considerable experience (at least 3) for the jobs out there added to the fact it is a non roman script and there are significant phonetic differences it is difficult. People go out there and leave when they can't tolerate it anymore.

Qatar or UAE are also potential candidates who take people with less experience, however the deals are not as good as you get paid less and the costs of living are considerably higher.

Yes I know you get about 18000 Riyals a month for teaching out there about £3K tax free, there being no such thing as night life and nothing really to spend money on it is a place where you can save considerable amounts of money As there is usually included accomodation with companies like Bell. Hoever they want people with considerable experience (at least 3) for the jobs out there added to the fact it is a non roman script and there are significant phonetic differences it is difficult. People go out there and leave when they can't tolerate it anymore.

Qatar or UAE are also potential candidates who take people with less experience, however the deals are not as good as you get paid less and the costs of living are considerably higher.

Fair enough. If you don't mind me asking, what teaching qualifications do you have and how much experience?

If you haven't found it already the Times Educational Supplement (www.tes.co.uk) has some excellent forums for overseas teachers and gets a lot of job adverts too.

If you haven't found it already the Times Educational Supplement (www.tes.co.uk) has some excellent forums for overseas teachers and gets a lot of job adverts too.

Nah TES demands lots and lots of experience, anything more than 1yr I can't do because of this.

The downside of the more liberal gulf states -living costs

My rent on a one bedroom house at Ras Tanura (KSA) including bills is $80 a month :lol:

The downside of the more liberal gulf states -living costs

My rent on a one bedroom house at Ras Tanura (KSA) including bills is $80 a month :lol:

You left already? I thought you were on the verge of leaving. I'd be tempted by Saudi in a couple years time maybe, if only to see if my massive sterling engine thingies work as well as I hope.

You left already? I thought you were on the verge of leaving. I'd be tempted by Saudi in a couple years time maybe, if only to see if my massive sterling engine thingies work as well as I hope.

?

?

I was talking to Kurt about it.

In that he mentioned Saudi several times but I must have missed the thread where he actually left.

My personal opinion is that I would give Saudi a spin sometime in the future once I had enough to go do my DELTA qualification I currently don't have enough experience to do the DELTA.

I was talking to Kurt about it.

In that he mentioned Saudi several times but I must have missed the thread where he actually left.

My personal opinion is that I would give Saudi a spin sometime in the future once I had enough to go do my DELTA qualification I currently don't have enough experience to do the DELTA.

I must have missed the engine chat too. Is this another of your cunning plans ?!

I must have missed the engine chat too. Is this another of your cunning plans ?!

Nah stirling engines have been around for a very long time, there is a massive stirling engine I've wanted to build somewhere sunny just for kicks

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2295, problem with saudi is probably temp differential which is what it runs on.

Early October. Flight is booked - please don't book on the Same Flight. I have images of crashing in the Saudi Desert and building a plane from spare parts to get back to civilisation :lol:

Tell us more about your Sterling Engine?

Is Korea not still a good gig?

When I looked into teaching a few years back, Korea and Japan were doing really well i.e. paying well.

Korea's a great country too. Lot's to do, see and eat. Crime is almost non-existant compared to the western world (apart from drink driving).

Mate of mine taught English in Korea and within a year he decided to do his own private tutoring from a cheap flat he rented. They pay a lot for one to one regular tuition.

Is Korea not still a good gig?

There is significant racism in Japan/China and Korea, if you look at job adverts they all request photos. This is to weed out non caucasians who apply for the jobs.

Thailand is somewhat more colourblind, and are desparate for teachers after the civil strife recently many people simply left also they tightened up their visas and change them regularly.

Taiwan had some serious scandals about caucasian teachers a funny one was in 2007 when a chain collasped when the parents were informed their children were getting Russian accents. It is not really the schools fault, it is the fault of the parents as they expect teachers to look a certain way. The schools are going concerns and therefore have to pander to the racism of the parents.

If you look on ESL boards, ads from China will specificly state whites only.

Therefore it is all nice and well thinking about going to Korea but I simply won't be welcomed there.

That's a shame they have anti-white hiring policies. I believe you though, I know a bit about East Asia.

I do think you take discrimination too much to heart though. Many threads you have mentioned racism against you etc. I stand out wherever I am in the world and for a while I let my looks beat me down. Now I don't care, and I see some friends of mine from similar backgrounds who are doing whatever they want, and not feeling any limits. Just an observation btw. I can only think that you have written off East Asia simply because you don't believe you can get hired. It may be harder, but I reckon you can.

What about Taiwan? Same thing there?

btw I know you are a biker, have you ever seen mordeth13's channel? Been watching it for years.

He's a Canadian working (was at least) as an English teacher in Taiwan. Great onboard vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/13mordeth

He has some cool bikes and even lets his dog ride on the footwell of his scooter. Taiwan seems quite small too, nice place to live.

edit: oops, saw you mentioned Taiwan already.

That's a shame they have anti-white hiring policies. I believe you though, I know a bit about East Asia.

I know if I stay there long enough 3-6 months I can get a position in Korea which would be fab due to the much higher pay. The problem is I can't really afford to stay somewhere 3-6 months this is the problem. While Taiwan and Thailand are places where work is easier to come by even though it will be paid somewhat less.

I do think you take discrimination too much to heart though. Many threads you have mentioned racism against you etc. I stand out wherever I am in the world and for a while I let my looks beat me down. Now I don't care, and I see some friends of mine from similar backgrounds who are doing whatever they want, and not feeling any limits. Just an observation btw. I can only think that you have written off East Asia simply because you don't believe you can get hired. It may be harder, but I reckon you can.

What about Taiwan? Same thing there?

btw I know you are a biker, have you ever seen mordeth13's channel? Been watching it for years.

He's a Canadian working (was at least) as an English teacher in Taiwan. Great onboard vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/13mordeth

He has some cool bikes and even lets his dog ride on the footwell of his scooter. Taiwan seems quite small too, nice place to live.

edit: oops, saw you mentioned Taiwan already.

Per Ken it's the other way round. They want English teachers to look English.

Acceptable:

football-hooligans.jpg

Not acceptable:

270106_Sharp_Okuda.jpg