House Price Crash Forum

1,000 Council Staff Could Potentially Lose Their Jobs

HOLA441

Been trying to join the CS since Jan when the CS advertised for broad band D Aircraft Engineering vacanies. Found out last week that my application is ongoing and proceeding. This was delayed by the G/E and up unto 2 weeks ago i thought it had fallen off the scope.Mid twenties starting salary and 8K first appointment expenses.....that'll cover the cost of buying a place.

Still think there's going to be a HPC but not of biblical proportions but not in a position to turn the CSjob down.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'd love to know where the money has gone then? Every year they add a section on the council tax about their efficiency savings for the year, but every year the tax goes up, the charges for everything goes up and the services are cut. They don't grit the roads, prune the trees or empty your black bin every week.

Meanwhile in Oxfordshire they are talking about following Swindon's 'lead' and switching off every speed camera in the county, because despite the huge fines they apparently cannot afford to operate them. Once the locals get wise to this, the average speed through many towns and villages will probably rise from just under 30mph to nearer 50mph faster than you can say drainpipe exhaust.

The council pay to operate them. but the fine goes to central government.

Central government abolished funding for speed camera's so the councils decided since they don't keep the fines why should they pay to operate them, unless the government gives them money for that?

HOLA443

I'd love to know where the money has gone then? Every year they add a section on the council tax about their efficiency savings for the year, but every year the tax goes up, the charges for everything goes up and the services are cut. They don't grit the roads, prune the trees or empty your black bin every week.

Meanwhile in Oxfordshire they are talking about following Swindon's 'lead' and switching off every speed camera in the county, because despite the huge fines they apparently cannot afford to operate them. Once the locals get wise to this, the average speed through many towns and villages will probably rise from just under 30mph to nearer 50mph faster than you can say drainpipe exhaust.

I would love to know what the yearly take in Oxfordshire is for speed cameras. If they have not been making a profit where have the money been spent - on more cameras?

HOLA444

Honest guv...they really are going to happen. They are to happen soon as well.

I have taken a bashing on this thread, but not ONE link to anyone losing their jobs yet. Yeah lots of maybes and real soon, and budgets will be cut, and so on and on.

As I have said before show me the link to the P45s!! There aren't and there will be none. It's all smoke and mirrors by the coalition of the weak. Yeah we're tough at talking and getting the media to print the party line, but weak on actually doing anything.

I know its not local government, but will this do?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10851273

with compliments:

topliner