House Price Crash Forum
timebandit

1,000 Council Staff Could Potentially Lose Their Jobs

Edited quotes from the Swindon Advertiser

More news on public sector job losses.

To give a little balance B&Q 500 (+) new jobs

SWINDON council has delivered a blow to its staff by announcing that up to 1,000 of them could potentially lose their jobs.

Council bosses made a series of presentations to staff at the Wyvern theatre yesterday outlining the depressing financial state of affairs that faces them.

The council has to save £11m in this financial year and expects to have to save a further £15m a year in future.

But each of them were remaining tight-lipped on where the axe could fall until they find out how much they will receive in Government grants in the Autumn.

One worker, who wanted to remain anonymous, said she was not impressed with the performance.

“They said that it wasn’t about the financial difficulties, it was about the progression of Swindon in the future and it just happens to be that the financial pinch is coming as well,” she said.

She added: “I just think they are going to do what they are told to do by Government.

“I don’t think anyone came out of there believing what they were saying.

“The mood in some parts of the council is awful.”

A spokesman for Swindon council said there had been five briefings held with staff during the day during which there were presentations from the chief executive and leader followed by a question and answer session.

There are 2,679 full time equivalent jobs at Swindon Borough Council excluding school staff and Swindon Commercial Services.

There are 2,679 full time equivalent jobs at Swindon Borough Council excluding school staff and Swindon Commercial Services.

so they are looking to sack OVER A THIRD.... 2/5ths of their staff?

so they are looking to sack OVER A THIRD.... 2/5ths of their staff?

Its ok no need to worry, the Welsh assembly has created a booming public sector economy. They have already held preliminary talks and promised all 1,000 council workers jobs and will help with relocation packages, due to high property prices over the border. ;)

Edited by timebandit

Well, i had a talk with my civil service contact....................the Temps are NOW going in November NOT Dec !!!!!

As they point out 35% of most goverment depts are "Temps" thus hire & FIRE.

Mike

This, and it is affecting many other councils, seems to be the perfect time to end the council final salary schemes. That will be over 15% of their wage costs, so all the staff need to do is agree to give up this generous pension so that their co-workers don't lose their jobs.

This, and it is affecting many other councils, seems to be the perfect time to end the council final salary schemes. That will be over 15% of their wage costs, so all the staff need to do is agree to give up this generous pension so that their co-workers don't lose their jobs.

We won't see that sort of altruism, you don't at the top, why would they? Every man for himself.

Edited quotes from the Swindon Advertiser

More news on public sector job losses.

To give a little balance B&Q 500 (+) new jobs

You've got to respect their consistency. The massive B&Q hub will be built on greenfield land.

But Swindon's rampant expansion (in the geographical not economic sense) must be as fast as anywhere in the UK, with huge swathes of the greenbelt having being built over in recent years. And house prices have always been far below the regional averages. The must need the extra council tax to balance the loss of business rates from all the boarded up retail space in the town centre.

You've got to respect their consistency. The massive B&Q hub will be built on greenfield land.

But Swindon's rampant expansion (in the geographical not economic sense) must be as fast as anywhere in the UK, with huge swathes of the greenbelt having being built over in recent years. And house prices have always been far below the regional averages. The must need the extra council tax to balance the loss of business rates from all the boarded up retail space in the town centre.

Strange way to look at it.

Why shouldn't they give permission for B&Q to expand or indeed grant planning permission for house building. You have been indoctrinated by the NIMBYism of southern England.

Well, i had a talk with my civil service contact....................the Temps are NOW going in November NOT Dec !!!!!

Mike

It's a similar picture in Devon Council - no temp contracts are to be extended, all overtime has been stopped, anyone leaves and they won't be replaced. And a few straight out redundancies have been announced. Suspect it will get a lot more severe in the Autumn though..

I know it sounds mercenary, but I read almost daily now of some Council annoucing that X thousand or X hundred staff are going to have to go?

When the feck are they actually going to start this?

I know it sounds mercenary, but I read almost daily now of some Council annoucing that X thousand or X hundred staff are going to have to go?

When the feck are they actually going to start this?

[/quote

No one is going to lose their job. This is all spin coming from the no so emergency "emergency budget". All lies.

My brother in law, who works in the public sector, handed in his notice last Friday. He was asked why by his bosses boss. He said he was worrying about being let go so he looked and found another job. His bosses boss told him to reconsider as you cannot believe all you read in the papers about layoffs etc.

It's all a big con.

Mike

You wouldn't think a parole officer would have his finger on the pulse.

Guest absolutezero

No one is going to lose their job. This is all spin coming from the no so emergency "emergency budget". All lies.

When you actually know what you're talking about please come back and discuss it. Until then keep away.

The job losses have already started. Local council departmental budgets are being cut by 10% this year. By April they will have unveiled the next 10% of cuts.

Edited by absolutezero

When you actually know what you're talking about please come back and discuss it. Until then keep away.

The job losses have already started. Local council departmental budgets are being cut by 10% this year. By April they will have unveiled the next 10% of cuts.

Yes, I'm hearing similiar.

The proof will be in the new budgets when they appear.

Guest absolutezero

Yes, I'm hearing similiar.

The proof will be in the new budgets when they appear.

In my local council the redundancies have already been arranged.

They've decided which posts are going. As of 1st January several hundred people will no longer be employed.

Guest absolutezero

In my local council the redundancies have already been arranged.

They've decided which posts are going. As of 1st January several hundred people will no longer be employed.

Strangely it's the private sector contracting companies who are being given most of the bad news...

Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it....

Strangely it's the private sector contracting companies who are being given most of the bad news...

Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it....

You are now having a go at your own posts?

:blink:

Some really good comments below the first article link by the OP. Okay you can't vouch for the authenticity but some of the tales of wastage at Swindon Council are so typical it's quite depressing.

In all three departments, staff were exceptionally lazy and 90% were incapable. On my first day i was told by my manager 'i dont come to work to get tired', which is a phrase commonly banded around SBC and sums up in a few words the whole ethos.
All the "flexible working" they do isnt to help us, its to help them, some staff just wander in whenever they feel like it, drink as much coffee as they like, go to lunch when they like and go home when they like and pretty much run their own jobs. There is a "flexitime" system that is abused by far too many who see it as a secondary holiday entitlement and some staff while i was there were taking more "flexi days" in addition to their holiday entitlement than some were taking in annual leave. One person regularly took 65 days(13 weeks in working days or 1/4 of the year) leave every year which was agreed by managers without a second thought! The "work/life balance" has completely overbalanced and is now all about "life" and nothing to do with "work". Too many staff see themselves as far more important than their customers, colleagues or employers. Sickness levels are way above the national average with managers dismissing that as "thats always worse in the Pubic Sector"! Why???? Because they allow it and staff know they can get away with it thats why!

Guest absolutezero

You are now having a go at your own posts?

:blink:

No. it's two separate points.

1. Redundancies as result of budget cuts.

2. Some outsourced services being cancelled completely (or in a couple of cases being brought back in house as it works out cheaper!) The private sector takes the hit on this.

No. it's two separate points.

1. Redundancies as result of budget cuts.

2. Some outsourced services being cancelled completely (or in a couple of cases being brought back in house as it works out cheaper!) The private sector takes the hit on this.

So, re the post about the people going in January - does each person know they have lost their job yet? Or is it just X number going in January?

Guest absolutezero

So, re the post about the people going in January - does each person know they have lost their job yet? Or is it just X number going in January?

The management know exactly which posts are going.

The post holders haven't yet been told. They'll get their 3 months' notice.

EDIT

"At risk" letters have been sent to all the people at risk - but really not all of them are going to get the chop.

Edited by absolutezero