House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pole

World's First 3D Digital Reconstruction

I just can't wait to see the whole movie...

LA Times Link

The movie reconstructs the trajectory that RAF bombers took when bringing arms and supplies to the insurgency. The Warsaw Uprising began on Aug. 1, 1944, and the release of the film was timed to mark the 66th anniversary.

The sea of rubble that Warsaw was reduced to during the war is vividly reconstructed in a 3D film that historians and computer graphics experts showed for the first time in Warsaw last week.

The goal of the film, which must be seen with special 3D glasses, is to bring home to a young generation the scope of the wartime devastation of Poland's capital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaL6WYwzQFs

I'm sure rolf will be a long in a minute to say that some other film he saw on the internet says that it never happened and it's all just a conspiracy theory.

A couple of shots from the movie, showing Warsaw after the uprising (the city's population got reduced from 1.3million to just 1000 people):

z8200950V.jpg

z8200951V.jpg

z8200952V.jpg

z8200953V.jpg

z8200955V.jpg

z8200957V.jpg

Just another way that Churchill ******ed over the Poles...

Churchill? :blink:

I thought he was on the other side, fighting against the nasties, not dishing out secret orders to level Warsaw?

I know you probably aren't fond of communists, but a lot of Eastern European cities were very beautifully restored.

This looks very nice:

800px-Warsaw_-_Royal_Castle_Square.jpg

Better than the modern efforts:

Moderne_wolkenkrabber_Warschau_0883.PNG

Before I went to Warsaw I was told that it was a grim, industrial town. Mainly by people who had never been.

My advise would be to ignore them and DYOR.

To be fair, it is grim and industrial compared to say Krakow or Wroclaw, but they are much smaller cities. For a big capital city Warsaw is probably about average for grim industrialness.

I lived there for a year in the late 90s and it is a great city but generally the architecture is very bleak. Basically the centre of the city was restored to its old standards and designs whilst the rest of the city was rebuilt by Russians on the grey apartment block model.

Theres a great postcard available in Warsaw with 3 pictures. Before the war, then the same angle taken in 1945 which is basically a flat field with rubble and then a picture taken in the 1970s from the same angle which is exactly the same as the first one.

Most other Polish cities didnt suffer the same level of destruction so tend to have great architecture throughout.

Riccal

The city wasn't totally destroyed by the Uprising - it was systematically destroyed block by block by the SS for a couple of months afterwards, on Hitler's notion that it would mean no Polish nation could rise again. The Russians were watching from the other bank of the Vistula.

It was one of the weird diversions of manpower that characterised the Nazis at the end of the war. An even weirder example is when they pulled a division back from the Eastern Front in 1945 to appear as extras in the Napoleonic War film "Kolberg"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolberg_(film)

I thought he was on the other side, fighting against the nasties, not dishing out secret orders to level Warsaw?

Churchill sat back and watched while the Nazis and Commies destroyed the country, then handed what was left to Stalin.

Guest X-QUORK

Churchill sat back and watched while the Nazis and Commies destroyed the country, then handed what was left to Stalin.

Utter ********. What's your agenda here?