HOLA441
  • Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I was thinking the same thing, it is an old style castle from the lack of windows but seems in very good condition. it might just be painted plywood for the show.

I sincerely hope not or I've been chasing wild geese all day

thanks again to all who've contributed

HOLA446

I'm wondering if it's a pumping station. It seems to have a municipal crest on the left.

If you look at a few of these they're quite impressive:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&biw=1440&bih=692&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=victorian+pumping+station&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Could that not be it ? From another angle it would look like the turret was sticking out the top of the square section - as in the original pic ?

Don't think so. The bit of the outside wall that we can see in the original image is smooth, with no windows. The pumping station has windows and big buttresses, and it doesn't seem to be near the river.

Edit: here it is from above: link to Google maps.

There's a reservoir some distance to the north-east, but no river.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Could that not be it ? From another angle it would look like the turret was sticking out the top of the square section - as in the original pic ?

The hexagonal tower is too far above the main structure and lacks a roof.

But it is gothic revival style, so built since 1750.

The castle in the OP's pic makes no sense as a medieval structure, medieval castles usually served one of two purposes either as a power centre and home (big castle with a town around it) or as lookout post.

The OP's structure is no good as a power centre, too small, the walls are too thin and there are windows low down in the structure.

As a defensive tower it isn't high enough, it is too big (soliders don't get nice beds) and there are windows too low in the structure.

It must have been built by someone who wanted a castle as country house unfortuanetly there are zillions of them all over Europe and Russia and even in the states. I tried searching for old postcards of castles but it seems quite a few of these rich man's play things got left to ruin in the first half of the 20th century, so the structure may have been gorgeous in the postcard but is now ruined or demolished.

What is on the back of the postcard, anything?

HOLA4416

I'd like a better look at that crest, I've zoomed in as far as I can go. It's quartered with a white background and reminds of the City of London crest though I know there are loads like that.

The presence of the crest makes me think public builiding which is why I thought Victorian pumping station as I remembered Lucinda Lambton walking round some of them.

City of London crest:

1381258982_a2563c27ac.jpg

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'd like a better look at that crest, I've zoomed in as far as I can go. It's quartered with a white background and reminds of the City of London crest though I know there are loads like that.

The presence of the crest makes me think public builiding which is why I thought Victorian pumping station as I remembered Lucinda Lambton walking round some of them.

City of London crest:

1381258982_a2563c27ac.jpg

good spot Frank

Can we get a higher res scan to look at?

HOLA4420
Guest X-QUORK

Funnily enough I'd thought about Bristol, but it doesn't really work. Are those Oak trees in the pic? If so I guess that limits the location to Europe.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest X-QUORK

I was thinking it may be something to do with the Great Exhibition of 1851 ?

However google does not help.

Good suggestion about the Great Exhibition, I reckon that's worth some of my research time.

HOLA4425

Good suggestion about the Great Exhibition, I reckon that's worth some of my research time.

had a quick google on that already

found nothing so far

was the exhibition even on the riverside ?

and the bigger building looks more modern than 1850's to me

Archived