House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Dr Who Poll

It's multi choice so you can put every Dr into one of the categories. If you don't know that Dr then to balance it out vote for OK; I don't know Hartnell / Troughton for instance.

Paul McGann is excellent IMO, great radio series plus the TV specials. Why he never got a crack as the main TV one baffles me.

'Bart' can do the Dr Who assistants poll as he will need to change the limits on Qs (just 3) and options (just 20). And he may even be able to post more pictures of Peri.

Guest Ian Chesterton

'Bart' can do the Dr Who assistants poll as he will need to change the limits on Qs (just 3) and options (just 20). And he may even be able to post more pictures of Peri.

Do we need that poll? We all know the best ;)

Do we need that poll? We all know the best ;)

Large quantities of "VI bias" being detected. :lol:

Paul McGann is excellent IMO, great radio series plus the TV specials.

They really should do some kind of 3 or 4 Doctors special with the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th Doctors.

Not sure if Chris Eccleston would come back for it though.

Guest Ian Chesterton

They really should do some kind of 3 or 4 Doctors special with the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th Doctors.

I thought a special where 10 & 11 return to help 8 end the time war would work well. It could end with 8's regeneration.

I thought a special where 10 & 11 return to help 8 end the time war would work well. It could end with 8's regeneration.

When they announced the series of specials for 2009, I did wonder whether they might tackle the Time War then.

Whilst Ecclestone heralded the new era of Dr Who with a return to form and far better writing, he himself was IMHO irritatingly egocentric so I watched it in spite of, rather than because of, him.

... and what was Sylvester McCoy for?

Guest Ian Chesterton

When they announced the series of specials for 2009, I did wonder whether they might tackle the Time War then.

I always thought the time war should be left alone, but when they re-visited it over Christmas & New Year, it seemed there was a great story about the fall of the Time Lords in there.

Guest Skinty

I've got a plot idea for the one doctor, where the current doctor meets up with his future self from the same episode.

Tom Baker winning so far. It's the right answer. Had the right mix of "weird" as the best interpretation of the role to date.

It's multi choice so you can put every Dr into one of the categories. If you don't know that Dr then to balance it out vote for OK; I don't know Hartnell / Troughton for instance.

Paul McGann is excellent IMO, great radio series plus the TV specials. Why he never got a crack as the main TV one baffles me.

Someone been watching Dr Who this morning then...?

I've got a plot idea for the one doctor, where the current doctor meets up with his future self from the same episode.

I've got an idea for the "11 Doctors", the twist being that the Doctors are all played by actors who have played the "Doctor" in different media.

We'll start off with a clip of the late Peter Cushing from the movies, after which he's played by another actor with only a superficial resemblance to him.

The other Doctors would be

Trevor Martin (stage play)

David Banks (stage play)

Nick Briggs (early Big Finish)

Jim Broadbent ("Fatal Death" and Victoria Wood)

Richard E. Grant ("Fatal Death" and online animation)

Lennie Henry (sketch)

Hugh Grant ("Fatal Death")

George Layton (unaired French & Saunders sketch)

Jon Culshaw (Dead Ringers)

Rowan Atkinson ("Fatal Death").

Unfortunately, by the time we've spent 5 minutes introducing each Doctor, there'll only be time for the end credits.

Guest Ian Chesterton

Dammit, who said William Hartnell was poor :angry:

On the subject of Doctor Who and your fez, is this the most rubbish ebay auction ever?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dr-custom-FEZ-/110566512687?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item19be47182f

(may need blu-tack to stick to head) :lol:

Reminds me of this

shada7.jpg

Not me.

As I'm seeing more of his stories on DVD, I'm loving the guy more and more.

Usually, the BBC, if they showed any of his stories (or clips thereof), would show the first ever one, in which he's quite irascible and grumpy (well, incredibly irascible and grumpy) and that's the image that sticks in one's mind.

Watching his later stories you see a character who's maybe not that far removed from the modern Doctors after all.

Thats a disgrace! Mods throw that person off HPC! I voted William Hartnell TOPS!!!I like it when he miffs his lines. WH suffered ill health which is why he is strangely absent from many episodes, with Britains hardest science teacher doing all the action stuff.

I like it when he miffs his lines.

There's a bit on either The Chase or The Space Museum DVD commentary where Peter Purvis and William Russell are discussing this. Part of the skill needed as a companion back then was being able to quickly react to a fluffed or missing/unexpected line in such a way that recording could carry on and that William Hartnell wasn't made to look bad.

One line that surely must have come out not quite as intended is the brilliant "That is the dematerialising control, and that over yonder is the horizontal hold; up there is the scanner, those are the doors, and that is a chair with a panda on it. Sheer poetry, dear boy. Now please stop bothering me."

The TARDIS has horizontal hold? No wonder the Doctor keeps thumping the console, that always used to work with my old TV as well.

What the First Doctor calls Ian Chesterton: Chesterfield / Charlton / Chatterton / Chatterhouse / Chartow

The Doctor: And now they've all gone...None of them could understand, not even my little Susan, or Vicki. And as for Barbara, and Chatterton...Chesterton...they were all too impatient to get back to their own time. Perhaps, I should go home, back to my own planet. But i can't...

Interesting results.

So the best are:

Tom Baker 18

Jon Pertwee 14

Christopher Ecclestone 13

David Tennant 11

William Hartnell 10

Maybe (like me) most people don't remember Hartnell & Troughton as I'd expect them to be higher. Ecclestone beating Tennant is a surprise, I go along with that but thought Tennant was much more high profile. I preferred Pertwee but can't argue with Baker winning it, he was massive at the time.

And the worst are:

Sylvester McCoy 19 (I blame "Ace")

Colin Baker 14 (nobody to blame but himself)

Nobody else really came close. No surprise there then.

And there is no Mr Average, that was a very close vote with 6 tying for first place on 8 votes.

Guest Ian Chesterton

Colin Baker 14 (nobody to blame but himself)

And the costume designer. And the production team.

Maybe (like me) most people don't remember Hartnell & Troughton as I'd expect them to be higher. Ecclestone beating Tennant is a surprise, I go along with that but thought Tennant was much more high profile. I preferred Pertwee but can't argue with Baker winning it, he was massive at the time.

Pretty much sums up my views too.

Tom Baker was often crowned favourite Doctor for many years for (IMO) 2 reasons. First of all, he was excellent in the part, and secondly, none of his successors in the "classic" run of Doctor Who (Doctors 5, 6 and 7) had such good stories as Baker's first 3 years, or were around as long. It's only really with David Tennant that someone has come along who can command a similar level of public affection as the 4th Doctor did.

Maybe the 9th Doctor could have done it, had he stayed for say 3 years.

Troughton I remember more from the Three/Five Doctors, where he steals the show. This bit still makes me smile 37 years later (about half way in).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz18PrZNvTc&feature=related

And the costume designer.

The costume designer fought against it (the "Coco the Clown" look).

Instead, the producer wanted something totally tasteless to replace Davison's understated cricketing garb, and costume designer Pat Godfrey had to go back to the drawing board several times before finally devising something with which Nathan-Turner was happy.

It seems that whatever she came up with wasn't tasteless enough for the producer.

Guest Skinty

Sylvester McCoy 19 (I blame "Ace")

I liked Ace!

(But then I also liked Scrappy Doo)

I want my own bottom-less backpack full of Nitro 9!

I liked Ace!

(But then I also liked Scrappy Doo)

I want my own bottom-less backpack full of Nitro 9!

As a bloke I found her hugely irritating, a twenty something with issues pretending badly to be a teenage tomboy. The precursor to the dreadful Donna character (shouty stupid chav with over-inflated sense of her own importance, told that she is the most important person in the universe; well that'll help matters) , which may be why Tennant got knocked down a bit in that poll.

Must be a girl's thing like Alanis Morissette.

Guest Skinty

Matt Smith is my favourite. This current series is too.

(But then I liked Ace and Scrappy Doo)