House Price Crash Forum
daves mum

Radio 5 Now - Discussion About Property

As per title

Have listened to R5 Live every day for the last 15 years, witnessing its slow & steady decline through mediocrity to vox pop banality. To the point now where we quite unbelievably have Nick(y) Campbell in the morning spouting his turgid vacuous rubbish whilst talking over every guest & colleague who dares to question him.

So with a trembling hand I ask - what did they have to say, ma of Dave?

P.S. Have moved to R4 but I'll still listen to Rhod Sharp on Up All Night, the man's absolutely brilliant, would love to meet him.

Have listened to R5 Live every day for the last 15 years, witnessing its slow & steady decline through mediocrity to vox pop banality. To the point now where we quite unbelievably have Nick(y) Campbell in the morning spouting his turgid vacuous rubbish whilst talking over every guest & colleague who dares to question him.

So with a trembling hand I ask - what did they have to say, ma of Dave?

P.S. Have moved to R4 but I'll still listen to Rhod Sharp on Up All Night, the man's absolutely brilliant, would love to meet him.

Rhod Sharp is brilliant.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

They were discussing the british obsession with home ownership, and it pretty much ended up being a chat about high house prices. It was presented by Kate Silverton who is actually in favour of lower house prices, and she did say she was pleased to hear the news from Nationwide that house prices are down this week.

All in all it was actually pretty good for the BBC, there was a guy who STR a couple of years back and is now regretting it (he lives in London). The same guy actually said 'how on earth are normal people able to afford a house nowadays?', which is quite a simple and refreshing question to be heard on the BBC.

You can hear it here, it starts at 1hr21min:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t9qr1/Kate_Silverton_01_08_2010/

Edited by daves mum

They were discussing the british obsession with home ownership, and it pretty much ended up being a chat about high house prices. It was presented by Kate Silverton who is actually in favour of lower house prices, and she did say she was pleased to hear the news from Nationwide that house prices are down this week.

All in all it was actually pretty good for the BBC, there was a guy who STR a couple of years back and is now regretting it (he lives in London). The same guy actually said 'how on earth are normal people able to afford a house nowadays?', which is quite a simple and refreshing question to be heard on the BBC.

You can hear it here, it starts at 1hr21min:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t9qr1/Kate_Silverton_01_08_2010/

It seems to me that it is only really the BBC website which is so biased. Similar to Radio 5, Radio 4 seems to give the news straight on house prices without a slant. Not sure about the TV programmes, however I see that the BBC TRust review will be axing a lot of this poor quality content now anyway (homes under the hammer etc etc).

Wow, a full 9 minutes of in depth analysis, and their conclusion was "there's a shortage of properties", Supply and demand init??

Not one mention of crazy lending driving up the prices. As the wonderful Eric Pebble says LIAR LOANS!!

You would have thought, after seeing the banks go bust so dramatically over crazy mortgages leveraged on massive house price inflation that the people at the BBC would've put the two together by now.

But no, they just cannot bring themselves to see it. Arghh!!

Edited by worst time buyer

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

"Why are the British obsessed with home ownership"

Isn't is bloody obvious? Who of sane mind wants to live on a knife edge knowing that at any time, the landlord can get cold feet and give you 2 months notice? Also, in many cases you can't change the decor or anything, so you're stuck with the purple carpets, red walls and 1950's tin bath.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to own your own home, seems like common sense to me and you can't compare us with the French, they don't have the pathetic UK tenancy laws. Great journalism though - completely missing this point

I've rented for the last 5 yrs and it's IMO, it's s**t.

The debate shouldn't be "are we obsessed with home ownership". It should be "are we obsessed with sitting on our fat arses and building pwoperty portfolios with the banks money, in order to generate ourselves a fat income"

Edited by BetterOffOnBenefits

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

On next weeks show "Are we obsessed with wearing our own clothes and eating our own food"

Isn't is bloody obvious? Who of sane mind wants to live on a knife edge knowing that at any time, the landlord can get cold feet and give you 2 months notice? Also, in many cases you can't change the decor or anything, so you're stuck with the purple carpets, red walls and 1950's tin bath.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to own your own home, seems like common sense to me and you can't compare us with the French, they don't have the pathetic UK tenancy laws. Great journalism though - completely missing this point

The debate shouldn't be "are we obsessed with home ownership". It should be "are we obsessed with sitting on our fat arses and building pwoperty portfolios with the banks money, in order to generate ourselves a fat income"

.not only pathetic uk tenancy laws but also pathetic uk houses...Ask a french what he think of uk houses, same for the UK lifestyle...

OMG, is Kate a secret HPCer?

I doubt it.

Kate Silverton: 'I cleared my mortgage in three years'

08 Jul 2013

What's been your best buy?

My first flat in 2001. It's a one-bedroom flat in London and I paid off my mortgage in three years. I had to remortgage madly to buy the house we currently own but I still have the flat and rent it out. It has more than doubled in value.

http://www.telegraph...hree-years.html

Wow, a full 9 minutes of in depth analysis, and their conclusion was "there's a shortage of properties", Supply and demand init??

Not one mention of crazy lending driving up the prices. As the wonderful Eric Pebble says LIAR LOANS!!

You would have thought, after seeing the banks go bust so dramatically over crazy mortgages leveraged on massive house price inflation that the people at the BBC would've put the two together by now.

But no, they just cannot bring themselves to see it. Arghh!!

;):blink::unsure:

Edited by eric pebble

That`s it, that was the obsession, but many are now waking up to the fact that those days are way over IMO.

Damn, hate it when that happens!

There was only a page of posts bigging her up as having a sensible cautious HPC position.

Someone had to reveal her real position, joining all the other home-owners who just keep existing home, release equity to trade up, and buy a larger home again at higher prices.

When it goes wrong it's 'savers are the devil', and 'hate the game not the player' excuses of them being victims.

I hope some of them meet Capital Gains Tax in the future. http://www.lovemoney.com/news/property-and-mortgages/buying-and-selling-property/104/how-to-rent-out-your-home

What's been your best buy?

My first flat in 2001. It's a one-bedroom flat in London and I paid off my mortgage in three years. I had to remortgage madly to buy the house we currently own but I still have the flat and rent it out. It has more than doubled in value.