House Price Crash Forum

I've contact SaveOurSavers with the following idea to see if it can be implemented by them.

Contact a building society (not a bank) and do a deal with them such that the more savers they can encourage to save with that one BS, the higher the interest rates they pay, and try to get to something like 4 to 5% interest for a flexible on-line account.

This would give the one particular BS a load of business, but would starve the remaining banks and building societies of savers cash.

This competition may put pressure on the BoE to raise interest rates, which in turn would reduce house prices.

I'm convinced the only parameter that will reduce prices is an increase in BoE base rates.

Would this work, or are there subtleties I do not know about? Would the chosen BS tend to lend money back to the institutions being starved of savers cash?

I feel we need to do something, the government are just taking the w e e w e e.

cheers,

Nick

I've contact SaveOurSavers with the following idea to see if it can be implemented by them.

Contact a building society (not a bank) and do a deal with them such that the more savers they can encourage to save with that one BS, the higher the interest rates they pay, and try to get to something like 4 to 5% interest for a flexible on-line account.

This would give the one particular BS a load of business, but would starve the remaining banks and building societies of savers cash.

This competition may put pressure on the BoE to raise interest rates, which in turn would reduce house prices.

I'm convinced the only parameter that will reduce prices is an increase in BoE base rates.

Would this work, or are there subtleties I do not know about? Would the chosen BS tend to lend money back to the institutions being starved of savers cash?

I feel we need to do something, the government are just taking the w e e w e e.

cheers,

Nick

Nice idea but a little naive I am afraid.

The only way it could work is if everyone, at the same time, withdrew their money from all the banks/building societies and paid it into one building society - and that building society agreed to lend at say 5% and pay savers 4%.

Unless everyone did it, that bank would never get anyone to borrow from them. As long as other banks have money to lend at lower rates - they will get the business.

I've often thought the internet ought to have given consumers real power.

How about 'No one buys any petrol from one of the following Esso/Shell/BP/Texaco etc - until they lower the price of petrol by 25p per litre.

Then, and only then, will we all start buying from them.

Then 'No one buys any petrol from one of the following (next one in the list) until they drop the price a further 10p.

etc. etc.

Theoretically, if everyone acted together, you could force the price of everything down to almost cost.

This too is a little naive though.

It will never happen. People can't be a r s e d.

As said, people may think this a great idea in principal but solidarity hits the wall when individuals are required to actually do something.

And would any one particular building society be prepared to break ranks anyway?

That said, I'd be up for it.

The queues outside N. Rock in 2007 weren't organised, apart from everyone seeing them on the news and joining in, and we were hours from closing all the cashpoint machines, apparently. Now if it were organised?!?

Edited by deflation