House Price Crash Forum

How Long Have Unison Been Sponsoring Horse Racing?

Democorruptcy

HOLA441

We have just had the "Unison A Million Voices for Public Services Handicap"

Perhaps the top dogs got a nice day out but isn't it a strange use of funds? Giving prize money to people who can afford to own racehorses? Or have public sector pay and perks grown so much that their members now participate in a sport that's mainly the playground of the rich?

Shouldn't the brothers just be handing out leaflets instead of cash?

HOLA442

And why would a Union need to spend on sponsorship?

Surely having reps inside companies and leaflets on noticeboards is adequate?

Think I'd be rethinking my membership if I'd seen that and was in Unison.

Reminds me of the millions spent by Labour on advertising for the state, I expect all those adverts to disappear now.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Evidence?

From personal experience Unison have an appalling record of defending their members.

In my own case a colleague and I were made redundant in a blatantly unfair way at a Local Authority. We took our evidence to Unison (and their scumbag lawyers - Thomsons) who summarily dismissed the redundancy as far. So we both went through the internal appeal process (aka kangaroo court).

I lodged unfair dismissal claims at the ET on my own behalf and that of a colleague (who was A Secretary). Despite the Council employing a slimey Barrister and throwing half their own legal and HR team at the case they lost. In my case I only got a small award because I had virtually walked straight into a much better private sector job. My colleague won £22,000

Our costs were paper, ink, and petrol (which we were able to claim back :lol: )

Their costs £22,000 for the Brief, £23,000 internal legal, £24,000 comp, £16,000 Redundancy.

Heres another example of someone totally let down by Unison (same profession as me coincidentially) who then self represented and won

http://www.agr.org.uk/DisplayContent.aspx?id=90

Save your money, Unison are a waste of time. Better off spending £100 on a copy of Tolleys employment law.

Ironically after I had been made redundant I saw a picture of the Union Brach Secretary - on the picket line at a strike at a private sector company ffs :angry:

HOLA446
Guest absolutezero

From personal experience Unison have an appalling record of defending their members.

In my own case a colleague and I were made redundant in a blatantly unfair way at a Local Authority. We took our evidence to Unison (and their scumbag lawyers - Thomsons) who summarily dismissed the redundancy as far. So we both went through the internal appeal process (aka kangaroo court).

I lodged unfair dismissal claims at the ET on my own behalf and that of a colleague (who was A Secretary). Despite the Council employing a slimey Barrister and throwing half their own legal and HR team at the case they lost. In my case I only got a small award because I had virtually walked straight into a much better private sector job. My colleague won £22,000

Our costs were paper, ink, and petrol (which we were able to claim back :lol: )

Their costs £22,000 for the Brief, £23,000 internal legal, £24,000 comp, £16,000 Redundancy.

Heres another example of someone totally let down by Unison (same profession as me coincidentially) who then self represented and won

http://www.agr.org.uk/DisplayContent.aspx?id=90

Save your money, Unison are a waste of time. Better off spending £100 on a copy of Tolleys employment law.

Ironically after I had been made redundant I saw a picture of the Union Brach Secretary - on the picket line at a strike at a private sector company ffs :angry:

You've had a bad experience.

There are plenty more positive ones.

Got to admit that solicitors in general are a bit lousy (from my own experience).

With unions a lot depends on who you local secretary is. Get a good one and they're worth their weight in gold. Get a crap one and you might as well do it yourself.

HOLA447
HOLA448

You've had a bad experience.

There are plenty more positive ones.

Got to admit that solicitors in general are a bit lousy (from my own experience).

With unions a lot depends on who you local secretary is. Get a good one and they're worth their weight in gold. Get a crap one and you might as well do it yourself.

Well actually it turned out really good in the end.

I got to grill my former boss and 3 HR witches in a public forum - the tribunal. All 4 were appalling and I managed to completely humilate them in an entirely professional manner :D

I moved onto a better paid job in the private sector that I enjoyed 100x more than death by BS in a local council.

My former secretary who is 58 now got a nice lump sum towards her retirement and did get another job albeit lower paid.

She paid for me to go on a nice 2 week holiday as a thank you for preparing and fighting her case

Having learnt so much about employment law I can happily save myself £25 a month union fees for the rest of my working life.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero

Well actually it turned out really good in the end.

I got to grill my former boss and 3 HR witches in a public forum - the tribunal. All 4 were appalling and I managed to completely humilate them in an entirely professional manner :D

That's why I do casework for the NUT. Very satisfying isn't it?

I moved onto a better paid job in the private sector that I enjoyed 100x more than death by BS in a local council.

After 10 years in teaching and seeing the way things are going I am giving thought to doing something else....

My former secretary who is 58 now got a nice lump sum towards her retirement and did get another job albeit lower paid.

She paid for me to go on a nice 2 week holiday as a thank you for preparing and fighting her case

Having learnt so much about employment law I can happily save myself £25 a month union fees for the rest of my working life.

Blimey! The NUT is only £15.

HOLA4411

That's why I do casework for the NUT. Very satisfying isn't it?

After 10 years in teaching and seeing the way things are going I am giving thought to doing something else....

Blimey! The NUT is only £15.

Agreed. My former line manager is a notorious bully who leaves a wake of destruction behind him. My redundancy was triggered by virtue of standing up to him and not bending over.

Whilst the 3 Stygian Witches didn't usually go head to head with my type they would treat adminstrative staff like something they had trodden in.

It was great to see them on a level playing field, thoroughly defeat them despite the £2000 a day Barrister they brought along :lol: Although he gave my colleague a bit of pasting I managed to rescue her. When I was in the witness box he gave up after half an hour :lol:

MY dad came along to watch said they whole hearing was hilarious. I have dined out on it ever since. ;)

HOLA4412
Guest absolutezero

MY dad came along to watch said they whole hearing was hilarious. I have dined out on it ever since. ;)

:lol:

HOLA4413

Archived