House Price Crash Forum
Jonnybegood

Suprising News From Audi Dealership Yesterday

Took the A3 for a "free" MOT at local the Audi dealership yesterday.

When I went to pick it up I was a little early so had a wander around the showroom, one of the sales managers approached and we got chatting about the R8 sports car that they have on display, telling me that they have sold half dozen in the past 12 months.

I got round to asking who actually buys these cars, Doctors? , Solicitors? , Accountants?, with a smile he said actually the biggest customer of our top end cars these days are builders.

He could see I was shocked by it, so he went on to tell me about previous dealerships he had worked at, Merc , BMW and the trends over the past couple of decades, early 90s you had PVC window companies, late 90s you had your computer wizz kids, its just cycles, builders and the whole building trade have been having their time which we have seen in the past few years.

It is probably coming to an end for them though, not as keen as they were a couple of years ago, Just waiting to see who will take their place, we are still doing well as a dealership but like everywhere just need to put in a bit more effort to secure a sale, businesses have cut back on company cars but are quietly coming back, low IRs mean many are not saving but spending, especially those in the older age bracket which also helps.

I could not stop thinking about the conversation whilst driving home, builders yes they earn good money if well established but £80k cars?? But I suppose a few big jobs a year and the odd tax dodge here and there and earnings of £100k plus are easily achieved.

A mate of mine says he can build a good size double extension for £30k whereas a local builder will charge £60 - £70k or an attic conversation for £5k as opposed to £20k.

I can understand people paying this kind of money for building work when they are able to keep re mortgaging and spending maybe £40k adds £60k to the value of your property, but in today's climate surely the average person is a little more careful in what they are spending, £50k to extend your property in a falling market does not make financial sense to me, 15 years I paid £18k for a 3m x 3m extension, property at the time was worth approx £170k, so if the extension added 10% to the properties value then I would still of broke even.

Interesting times

Took the A3 for a "free" MOT at local the Audi dealership yesterday.

When I went to pick it up I was a little early so had a wander around the showroom, one of the sales managers approached and we got chatting about the R8 sports car that they have on display, telling me that they have sold half dozen in the past 12 months.

I got round to asking who actually buys these cars, Doctors? , Solicitors? , Accountants?, with a smile he said actually the biggest customer of our top end cars these days are builders.

He could see I was shocked by it, so he went on to tell me about previous dealerships he had worked at, Merc , BMW and the trends over the past couple of decades, early 90s you had PVC window companies, late 90s you had your computer wizz kids, its just cycles, builders and the whole building trade have been having their time which we have seen in the past few years.

It is probably coming to an end for them though, not as keen as they were a couple of years ago, Just waiting to see who will take their place, we are still doing well as a dealership but like everywhere just need to put in a bit more effort to secure a sale, businesses have cut back on company cars but are quietly coming back, low IRs mean many are not saving but spending, especially those in the older age bracket which also helps.

I could not stop thinking about the conversation whilst driving home, builders yes they earn good money if well established but £80k cars?? But I suppose a few big jobs a year and the odd tax dodge here and there and earnings of £100k plus are easily achieved.

A mate of mine says he can build a good size double extension for £30k whereas a local builder will charge £60 - £70k or an attic conversation for £5k as opposed to £20k.

I can understand people paying this kind of money for building work when they are able to keep re mortgaging and spending maybe £40k adds £60k to the value of your property, but in today's climate surely the average person is a little more careful in what they are spending, £50k to extend your property in a falling market does not make financial sense to me, 15 years I paid £18k for a 3m x 3m extension, property at the time was worth approx £170k, so if the extension added 10% to the properties value then I would still of broke even.

Interesting times

Good builders are like gold dust and charge accordingly.

In the city I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of the banker bonus money makes its way to builders.

Good builders are like gold dust and charge accordingly.

In the city I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of the banker bonus money makes its way to builders.

A lot of cash to hide too, tax and VAT evasion etc. I doubt there's a builder alive who won't work for cash because they get customers who bounce cheques or don't pay up.

A lot of cash to hide too, tax and VAT evasion etc. I doubt there's a builder alive who won't work for cash because they get customers who bounce cheques or don't pay up.

An £80K car, on a PCP, would cost less per month than another employee.

I had a chat with my attic the other day, didn't cost me a penny.

Guest KingCharles1st

I'm very involved i nthe manufacture of motivation for a new British Supercar- Two British F1 drivers may get one each as toys I would imagine.

Anyhow- it's nearing production now, and I am wondering just who is going to be buying this thing- around 150K (IIRC) is it going to be the bankers? Very iconic- having an Audi R8 will be like saying you are a toilet cleaner- so I feel buyers will be buying the prestige

my painters for the house have just charged me 2k for a week plus costs... not bad work if you can get it..

my painters for the house have just charged me 2k for a week plus costs... not bad work if you can get it..

It's quite easy actually.

Just put an ad in the paper and customers will come

Sometimes going the traditional route (school -> uni -> job) is less rewarding. Two of my friends are in trades and are getting approx £35k per annum. I'm an electronics design engineer on less right now. I'm thinking of giving guitar lessons to top up the income.

Interesting times

To be honest I think you need a higher income than 100k to comfortably afford these types of cars and run a house, holidays etc. 100k after tax is less than 60k, depreciation alone would be arround 15-20k thats without a tank of fuel at 100 quid a pop..

The occupation described as a ‘builder’ can be a little bit deceiving I would say that your typical builder that you describe (small extensions etc) is not generally the type to be buying these cars, I think its more likely to be owners or directors of larger construction companies with turnovers of 3m+ doing mainly contract work on behalf of large private companies or the public sector.

I recently purchased an R8 Spyder from and it was incredibly difficult to locate a car without joining a long waiting list (spoke to 8+ dealerships and all said no chance) so there is obviously still a good demand there.

T

I suppose it depends what you want to spend the bank's your money on

It always amazes me how many 200-300k houses you see with 70k cars outside, and 100k houses with 35k cars.

To be honest I think you need a higher income than 100k to comfortably afford these types of cars and run a house, holidays etc. 100k after tax is less than 60k, depreciation alone would be arround 15-20k thats without a tank of fuel at 100 quid a pop..

Who said anything about affording them?

My guess as to what happens is they finish 3 or 4 decent jobs and find they've got £30,000 - £40,000 in the bank; raise £10,000 from selling the existing car then stick another £30,000 on the mortgage.

Then they remember that the £30,000 - £40,000 was meant to pay the tax and tide them over when they didn't have the work.

Who said anything about affording them?

My guess as to what happens is they finish 3 or 4 decent jobs and find they've got £30,000 - £40,000 in the bank; raise £10,000 from selling the existing car then stick another £30,000 on the mortgage.

Then they remember that the £30,000 - £40,000 was meant to pay the tax and tide them over when they didn't have the work.

I doubt it. I'm sure they do this, for maybe a TT or S4. But there would be no illusions on the cost of running the R8. RIch people drive cars like that. good luck to them.

I'm very involved i nthe manufacture of motivation for a new British Supercar- Two British F1 drivers may get one each as toys I would imagine.

Anyhow- it's nearing production now, and I am wondering just who is going to be buying this thing- around 150K (IIRC) is it going to be the bankers? Very iconic- having an Audi R8 will be like saying you are a toilet cleaner- so I feel buyers will be buying the prestige

KC1st, do you live in Woking by chance. I do. I've got a friend who is working on the new car, something to do with the engine management software which I dont really understand). :blink: