House Price Crash Forum

Mouse Problem

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Laptop works fine, the touchpad works fine.

However the separate optical mouse is being a right pain. It gets better after a while but initially won't move the cursor at all and seems to buffer the movement with a much-delayed response and a "duh-duh" noise when it finally does move, the same noise you get when you plug in a new peripheral. It's as though it keeps ceasing to recognise it. I've tried shifting it between the USB ports and there is no difference. Eventually (after about half an hour) it's working fine.

The mouse is about 4 years old, same as the laptop.

Is it a new mouse, new driver, or something else?

The only clue I have is that the red light on the mouse seems to be on only intermittently, which may mean that it keeps turning itself off.

HOLA442

The only clue I have is that the red light on the mouse seems to be on only intermittently, which may mean that it keeps turning itself off.

Sounds like the cable / internals of the mouse are flaky - hence the iffy connection takes the machine think you are unplugging / plugging it back in - so it 'installs' it each time.

A new optical mouse is about a tenner - stop being cheap & buy a new one :P

HOLA443

Probably a dodgy connection somewhere, I'd just get a new one if I were you.

Sounds like the cable / internals of the mouse are flaky - hence the iffy connection takes the machine think you are unplugging / plugging it back in - so it 'installs' it each time.

A new optical mouse is about a tenner - stop being cheap & buy a new one :P

Ok, new one then. I didn't want to chuck out a perfectly good mouse if it was something else.

Thanks for the advice.

HOLA444
HOLA445

When making sudden movements with my last mouse the pointer would sometimes freeze up on the screen and then mouse would cut out with the duh-duh. A few weeks ago it got worse until it was happening every few minutes. Happened no matter what USB port it was plugged back in to.

Temporarily got it fixed and working fine by wiggling and pushing the cable in firmly at the mouse side. Enough time to receive my £12 Logitech wired laser mouse order from ebay. I suspect it has been the failure point of many a computer mouse I've binned in the past. You could also check there is no fluff and dust build up in the optical eye bit.

HOLA446
HOLA447

4 years is pretty good going for an optical mouse i'd say

4 Years is even better for a laptop, I've had one that lasted less than a year, wouldn't buy that brand ever again. My dad had been a fan of said brand and my brother got one too and his lasted about as long as mine.

HOLA448

4 Years is even better for a laptop, I've had one that lasted less than a year, wouldn't buy that brand ever again. My dad had been a fan of said brand and my brother got one too and his lasted about as long as mine.

I take the view that they're complicated machines with a lot to go wrong and at some stage something will, I don't go for this buy xyz brand or don't buy xyz brand. They can all always blow up or keep going.

If it does go then I don't automatically get another one, I've had three go and each time I've not replaced them for anything up to a year.

HOLA449

Ok, new one then. I didn't want to chuck out a perfectly good mouse if it was something else.

Thanks for the advice.

I think you should reset the core of the anti matter laser drive...oh, and reverse polarity of the time matrix diode thingy.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm currently on a macbook older than that. In fact, I spend more time on it than on all my other machines (and it's the only one that sees HPC). Bought it precisely because apple seem to get the hardware right, though I see no point (for me) in a mac desktop, and would positively avoid their horrendously-restrictive iphone/ipad prisons.

Disc needed replacing a while back, and the battery is knackered (less of an issue since they introduced power points on trains). But apart from that it's just fine!

Archived