House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Alvin Hall R4 12 Midday Today

Alvin Hall's Generations of Money Saturday 31 July

12:04pm - 12:30pm

BBC Radio 4

1/4, series 1

New series. The financial guru helps four different generations plan for an uncertain future, including a young couple struggling to buy a home and a man trying to clear his children's student debts at the expense of his own retirement. Alvin also explores the economic bonds that link them together and the issues he believes will dominate the agenda in coming years.

True but common sense isn't so common

Edit to correct by confusion regarding Alvin and Rene. Stand corrected. Thanks

Edited by easybetman

Oh geez, the bleedin' Wilsons ...

Did Fergus say his future lies in renting to potless Brits returning from Spain, and charging them 6 months rent in advance?

Did Fergus say his future lies in renting to potless Brits returning from Spain, and charging them 6 months rent in advance?

He sure did, the man's a genius I tell thee ...

Yes.

Bad news folks - looks like the Wilsons are onto another winner.

One more time, the collective HPC hatred of the Wilsons won't make them poor or stupid.

These 2 are now exceedingly and irrevocably wealthy for all the wrong reasons and we just have to learn to live with it.

The great thing about the program for me was the woman who had more unsecured debt that her annual income admitting that she knows lots of people in the same position. She also admitted that she felt that inheritance would eventually bail her out.

BBC Radio has turned. Only a matter of time until TV turns too. Just you wait, as soon as the Producers, Directors & Presenters have offloaded their BTLs it'll be "Property? Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole mate"

Then they will buy them back cheap again in 5-10 years time. Just like we all would given the opportunity.

The great thing about the program for me was the woman who had more unsecured debt that her annual income admitting that she knows lots of people in the same position. She also admitted that she felt that inheritance would eventually bail her out.

I would have thought it's best to go bankrupt asap and then get the inheritance later.

He is the same gentleman who did the pay off your mortgage in 2 years series and then forgot to deduct tax from all the earnings in his illustration..

No! That was not Alvin Hall!

"How to pay off your mortgage in two years" and the followup series "Did they pay off their mortgage in two years?" were presented by "business expert" René Carayol. Those programmes turned out to be nothing specifically about housing, more "think of a business idea to give up your job and go self-employed to make the most money you can in two years".

Thought he is a motivation consultant rather than a radio host ?

Alvin Hall did present a BBC programme called "Your Money or Your Life" where he used to motivate people to be more careful with money, and he cut up cakes etc to simplify the issues. This was during the period when there was an avalanche of lending and people were racking up £60K debts on credit cards without the banks batting an eyelid. It was also quite voyeristic, in the way that "Life Laundry" was. Lots of closeups of people crying to get the ratings in.

He also presented some Radio 4 finance programmes this time last year (Money Box has a break during the summer).

More Wilsons today I hear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tcs29/Alvin_Halls_Generations_of_Money_Episode_3/

In this third part of this series on inter-generational finance, Alvin Hall meets Britain's young families and asks what the future holds for their money.

It's estimated that over half of the UK's housing wealth is owned by the post-war generation of people born in the twenty years after the end of the Second World War. Only around ten per cent of it is owned by people under the age of 40. High house prices have meant families are having to wait until much later in life to get a foot on the property ladder.

Alvin Hall meets Jennie Lichfield, a single mother of two from Ashford in Kent who's desperate to buy her own place. Jennie feels resentful of the grip that local baby-boomer buy-to-let landlords have on the property market. She finds out why the credit crunch has made it harder than ever for people in her situation to take out a mortgage.

Alvin also meets psychiatric nurse, Oliver Wyatt from Leeds who gave up his NHS pension for an ill-fated investment in property. Oliver's confronted with the benefits he's missed out on and receives advice on how to save for retirement at a later age. But the programme also asks whether such public sector pensions are sustainable in the future.

Yes.

Bad news folks - looks like the Wilsons are onto another winner.

One more time, the collective HPC hatred of the Wilsons won't make them poor or stupid.

These 2 are now exceedingly and irrevocably wealthy for all the wrong reasons and we just have to learn to live with it.

At least they're now moving onto ripping off the boomer generation, rather than mine, as they did over the last 10-15 years. Small mercy I guess. Still makes me sick though.

More Wilsons today I hear:

I heard bits of it in the car while I was out shopping.

Fergus interviewed ever so slightly better than I expected.. although it does annoy me that they always introduce him as some kind of BTL genius.

Apparently he does it to provide a service to the community, with the happy aside that it makes him money. His investment philosophy apparently is that houses double in value every 7 years so he couldn't go wrong.

I reckon he's a lucky leveraged gambler. But what do I know. At the end of the day our system has allowed him to *make* £180m at the expense of those he priced out.

Perhaps he's not a fool after all.

Edited by libspero

Listening to it now.

Alvin Hall is indeed a complete idiot, who states the bleedin obvious..... and then draws the wrong conclusions.

Saying the Wilson's are providing a service!!

Not one mention so far of the money and credit supply distorting the economy.

Its like listening to "Finance for CBeebies" for gods sake.

Edited by wtb

Relying on inheritance seems a risky strategy. It's in no way 100% guaranteed.

People can leave their assets to whoever (or whatever) they like.

Relying on inheritance seems a risky strategy.  It's in no way 100% guaranteed.

As long as they keep a Tory government of aristocratic millionaires it is 100% guaranteed. They'll shut primary schools before they touch inherited wealth. There'd be no point the Tory party even existing otherwise, it is what they exist for.

Relying on inheritance seems a risky strategy. It's in no way 100% guaranteed.

It certainly is risky.

Is it one in four people who will end their days in residential care homes?

At £500 a week upwards. That soon destroys the money from the house that had to be sold to fund the care. My mother's care fees eventually absorbed the entire proceeds of the sale of her bungalow. £30,000 a year is commonplace in fees nowadays.

And many a widow or widower surprises and horrifies the family when they take a new partner!

Alvin also meets psychiatric nurse, Oliver Wyatt from Leeds who gave up his NHS pension for an ill-fated investment in property. Oliver's confronted with the benefits he's missed out on and receives advice on how to save for retirement at a later age. But the programme also asks whether such public sector pensions are sustainable in the future.

Without realising it, the guy who dumped his NHS pension payments probably did the right thing considering his age & what is to come, but then dear, expert, Alvin, & all the guy's fellow workers scare him.

Alvin talks as though he thinks Sterling's purchasing ability is fixed!