House Price Crash Forum

Hi, new member here.

Our buyers have just pulled out a few days before we were due to exchange contracts.

They had already had their mortgage lenders come and survey the property, they found no problems and agreed to give them their mortgage. However in the last week they decided to have a Home Buyers Report done, this was carried out by a member of RICS but who on arriving at the property clarified he was not a Structural Surveyor.

The report was issued to our buyers a few days later and they pulled out. They sent a copy of the report to my estate agents to show them why and in turn the estate agents sent me a copy of it (not sure if they should have done this or not!). After reading the report it seems that the surveyor has made some very pessimistic comments, for instance one comment talks about a dripping header tank, which in reality is usually a faulty ballcock or a washer needing replacement. However theres no mention of this, he just reports that it could be due to a burst water main under the property.

My question is this, if Surveyors are making generalisations upon surveying a property and they are commenting on structural problems when they aren't fully qualified to do so, and it results in a buyer running scared. Is there anywhere a complaint can be lodged when Im not sure if the report should have found its way to me?

Cheers

Hi, new member here.

Our buyers have just pulled out a few days before we were due to exchange contracts.

They had already had their mortgage lenders come and survey the property, they found no problems and agreed to give them their mortgage. However in the last week they decided to have a Home Buyers Report done, this was carried out by a member of RICS but who on arriving at the property clarified he was not a Structural Surveyor.

The report was issued to our buyers a few days later and they pulled out. They sent a copy of the report to my estate agents to show them why and in turn the estate agents sent me a copy of it (not sure if they should have done this or not!). After reading the report it seems that the surveyor has made some very pessimistic comments, for instance one comment talks about a dripping header tank, which in reality is usually a faulty ballcock or a washer needing replacement. However theres no mention of this, he just reports that it could be due to a burst water main under the property.

My question is this, if Surveyors are making generalisations upon surveying a property and they are commenting on structural problems when they aren't fully qualified to do so, and it results in a buyer running scared. Is there anywhere a complaint can be lodged when Im not sure if the report should have found its way to me?

Cheers

I am afraid that surveyors ALWAYS do this.

They cover themselves legally by picking up on evey fault they find because if they didn't and you went on to buy the property and subsequently discover the fault, you may have legal redress. If nobody buy the house they still get their fee and don't get sued - job done!

I recently had a full structural survey done and the report highlighted literally dozens of faults. However, when I spoke to the surveyor he said he was bound legally to list ALL faults found and went on to verbally put all the faults in context. I bought the house!

So you need to ask your estate agent why they didn't say all this to the buyer - ask them to contact the buyer, advising them to speak with the surveyor who may be willing to verbally reassure them its not so bad after all.

I know the surveyor has to cover himself but they shouldnt be allowed to just give a worse case scenario, they could have said the dripping header tank could be down to a 30 p washer needing replacement or could be a result of something more serious. Another issue raised by them was that we had double glazing installed in 2005 and on a bay window the brickwork underneath is cracked. Sounds bad but this is a common problem on bay windows and is visible on nearly all the properties on my road, some have just been left like mine and some have just been filled in. The report stated that there was signs of movement.

If everybody forked out £500 for one of these surveys on a property that was built in the 30's then not many would get sold. The problem now is that do I pay for a structural engineers report (knowing that they to will probably give a report with worse possible scenarios on it just to cover themselves) or do I do a few repairs and just stick it back on the market hoping that the next people dont have a Home Buyers Report!

I dont believe the report was so much of an excuse as they had to pay £500 for it, I have offered to either pay for an engineers report or even pay for the remedial work that the report suggests. Unfortunately the buyers didnt even want to enter into negotiations.

Thanks for your opinions, and sorry if I just sound like a whinger !! Im just frustrated that a sale has collapsed due to a report which is probably not worth the paper its written on.

You' ve two choices.

1. If you're desperate to rescue the deal try either knocking £10k off or ask the surveyor to explain the findings of the survey - a threat of legal action may force him to moderate some of the findings.

2. If you can wait fix the problems (or disguise them!).

Edited by Phil S

You' ve two choices.

1. If you're desperate to rescue the deal try either knocking £10k off or ask the surveyor to explain the findings of the survey - a threat of legal action may force him to moderate some of the findings.

2. If you can wait fix the problems (or disguise them!).

The sale has definitely fallen through as they have never shown any signs of wanting to negotiate, I offered 5k off the price as this was what the report estimated the repairs to be.

I would like to maybe lodge a complaint regarding the report but am unsure of where to go. When I tried to speak to the surveyor he wouldnt speak to me as the contract for the report was between him and the clients (my buyers).

If I thought it would help I would have a structural report but as said before, if all they are going to do is state worse case scenarios rather than actually tell me what is (in reality) wrong then its a waste of money, which I may as well just put towards hiding it.

When you had your report done, did it leave you thinking that they had gone completely over the top with any issues found?

They have seen the newspaper headlines of the last few weeks.....you will not get them back . i have just had one done and it cost the sellers £500 to put right....the market has spooked them not the report....prices have dropped in the last four out of five months..