House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Itv Set To Restrict Some Content To Pay-Tv

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/7919586/ITV-set-to-restrict-some-content-to-pay-TV.html

In what could be one of the biggest-ever shake-ups of British television, the broadcaster will next week announce it is considering moving some of its content or channels to pay-TV networks.

Archie Norman and Adam Crozier, ITV's chairman and chief executive respectively, will tell the City that ITV can no longer survive solely on free-to-air advertising.

Daniel Kerven, an analyst at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said putting ITV's channels on pay-TV platforms could double ITV's value, because it could charge Sky or Virgin Media a high premium to screen its channels.

Mr Kerven said ITV could replace Sky Sports, which has recently been opened up to all pay-TV broadcasters, as the new "kingmaker" of the pay-TV world.

The broadcaster could move some or all of its digital channels imminently. It may consider restricting high-definition versions of its channels to pay-TV subscribers.

However, its public service obligations mean the company is legally required to broadcast ITV1 on terrestrial TV until at least 2014.

It is very unlikely that ITV will consider moving its flagship shows such as Coronation Street and Emmerdale to pay-TV networks.

But, the plan will still anger fans of the ITV shows taken behind the pay-wall.

The announcement will come as part of ITV's "strategic review" and first-half results statement on Tuesday. It is understood that ITV will also unveil major changes to its internal management structure.

So cutting costs by reducing wages is too much of a radical idea, clearly the way forward is to charge more for poor content.

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch any of the crap ITV produces. I can't even remember the last good show I watched on ITV religiously.

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch any of the crap ITV produces. I can't even remember the last good show I watched on ITV religiously.

Me neither, it just seems to be a feast of reality TV sh*te these days.

I can see me ending up without a TV if everything becomes pay per view!

Mr Kerven said ITV could replace Sky Sports, which has recently been opened up to all pay-TV broadcasters, as the new "kingmaker" of the pay-TV world.

Good luck with that one! :lol:

I don't understand this article.

They announced many months ago that they were "considering" moving their "extra" channels to Pay TV.

So what's new here?

tim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/7919586/ITV-set-to-restrict-some-content-to-pay-TV.html

So cutting costs by reducing wages is too much of a radical idea, clearly the way forward is to charge more for poor content.

I would suggest that the analyst has some ITV stock he needs to ramp! Putting the c**p ITV produces on pay TV would probably lose viewers and advertising income!

They were looking for a bunch of IPTV people a few months ago. Loads of jobs starting at around 100K and going upwards... but when I looked at the ads it appeared that only one was a technical job - Technical Architect - and all the rest seemed to be paper-shuffling having a meeting type business roles...

Which gave me the impression, IMPO, that the poor TA would be worked to the bone and stressed trying to get the entire project up and running... so I quickly ignored that.

It is quite aamzing that after all the culls they have had at ITV that many of the same faces are still there after decades. The place needs a huge change IMPO and myself and several former ITV workers I know would rather be unemployed than work there again - which says it all really.

In fact, a friend of mine walked out of there a few weeks back - given the choice between working there or unemployment that person chose unemployment as he/she could not stand it any more.

Same here, I think just about the only think I ever watch on ITV is Champions League footballm everything else is shit and/or murdered by adverts - especially on ITV2/3/4 maybe they would be better cutting back on all the extra channels and concentrating the quailty in one place.

Oh I forgot, I like to watch the Tour de France too, thats on ITV4 usually but that is it.

Good I hope it does, along with the BBC. Then we can get rid of the licence fee for good so that those who do not wish to watch the programmes are not treated like criminal for choosing to not buy a licence.

But I suspect ITV is obliged to offer ITV to the HD version of freeview and freesat. So I can't see it happening.#

I would like to see the BBc go encypted with a viewing card though and then we will really see who wants to watch their alleged 'world reknowned' shows.! Its the ultimate test. Give the public a choice. Go to bbctvlicence.com to see your rights in rejecting the BBC from your life.

With the mute button on during the match breaks as it will be Adrian Chiles.

Well, you have the Champs League on ITV1 and Europa League games on ITV4. Apart from that? Go on ITV, just put on a soaps channel, so you can peddle god awful stuff like Emmerdale behind some paywall..

ITV and 80% of TV is dead, I reckon. It's become so dumbed down that it offers no more entertainment or mental stimulation than a self-absorbed yank girl with big tits and a YouTube channel.

If it can't add value it should die.

Sir Lew Grade could have made it work. He made a fortune knocking out cheap action adventure in the sixties with ATV/ITC Entertainment. Everything from Thunderbirds to The Saint was made by him. Indeed this is still the best stuff on ITV (4) at the moment. Apart from that, it can go to the wall.

Sir Lew Grade could have made it work. He made a fortune knocking out cheap action adventure in the sixties with ATV/ITC Entertainment. Everything from Thunderbirds to The Saint was made by him. Indeed this is still the best stuff on ITV (4) at the moment. Apart from that, it can go to the wall.

I thought Thunderbirds was hugely expensive to make at the time?

Yes, but it sold all over the world. I think in the end it was cheaper to use humans than puppets, hence U.F.O and Space 1999.

All the filmed ITC shows were decently budgeted. Some early episodes of The Saint may look a bit cheap now, with their use of stock footage of Monaco, then cutting to Roger Moore in a studio set, but you have to compare like with like. They were way ahead of contemporary shows.

Compare the Sidney Newman created The Avengers (not an ITC show) with the Sidney Newman created Adam Adamant Lives! (BBC)

By the time these two shows went up against each other, The Avengers was being made in colour, on 35mm film and featured extensive location work. Its BBC contemporary, Adam Adamant in contrast, was made on B&W videotape with 35mm filmed inserts and was very studio based.

Looked at today, The Avengers looks like it was made last week (and will soon be appearing on Blu-ray, due to the excellent quality of the 35mm masters available). Adam Adamant by contrast, was "junked" by the BBC (they like to use the word "lost", as if they fell down the back of a sofa or something). All that remains for the most part are fuzzy 16mm telecine versions which barely pass muster as DVD releases.

Thanks to Lew Grade and similarly forward thinking ITV execs, we can watch pretty much everything they made today and it looks as good as it ever did (if not better in the case of restored productions like The Prisoner).

In the case of Adam Adamant, Auntie Beeb can only offer us a very mixed bag of missing episodes, poor quality surviving prints and nothing that could be shown as anything other than a "rarity" or "novelty" as part of a night of archive material.

"So clever, but oh so vulnerable".

Yes, but it sold all over the world. I think in the end it was cheaper to use humans than puppets, hence U.F.O and Space 1999.

I think Gerry Anderson had always wanted to make "proper" TV shows, right from the late 1950s, but when he and Arthur Provis (AP Films) were given The Adventures of Twizzle, that was the only work they had at the time. It's success led to more of the same.

By the time the puppet based shows started to run out of steam (Joe 90, The Secret Service), he as already branching out into live action with the film Doppleganger (Journey to the Far Side of the Sun). In fact there's a lot of live action in The Secret Service, often featuring Stanley Unwin.

padre+baixa.jpg

With the mute button on during the match breaks as it will be Adrian Chiles.

I dont bother with match breaks on any ITV football, it does not matter who is presenting. All we get are about 1 minute of analysis, two minutes of promoting a competition at premium rates then 12 minutes of adverts.