House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldilocksporridge

Smoking: Habit Or Addiction

Getting fed up with smokers who are apparently addicted - and can't go without a cig for long haul flights, can get through a day at work with a cig - what a pathetic way to live your life- I mean come on smokers - seriously you can't manage one day without a cigarette??? or is the truth that you could if you really wanted to but just enjoy smoking too much.

By the way I have smoked before, off and on socially and regulary when younger - but never managed despite trying to become a compulsive addict who needs to go outside 20 times a day. Have to admit at times one would be good - but i just can't understand why smokers say they want to stop just can't grow a pair and if they really want to stop - just stop.

I realise this post might inflame smokers - but come its just so typical people always looking absolve themselves of responsibility.

The mindset of the smoker is a complicated thing.

Back when I used to smoke, upwards of 40 a day, the thought of not being able to had a vicious effect on me. Panicking about where one could be squeezed in??? Tried giving up numerous times....and my visions of a non-smoking future were post-apocalytic. How the hell would I cope???

Then someone said "read Allen Carr's book".

40+ a day to zero. With no cravings, withdrawal or anxiety of any kind.

The NHS should stop pedalling nicotine replacement therapies and their first prescription should be a copy of Allen Carr's books.

I smoke some weeks, some weeks i dont at all. I would say its weakness, not addiction.

OTOH, with routines im almost OCD.

Different people have different susceptibility. Back in the day when I smoked, I never craved tobacco or had any problem with going without, just smoked now and again for pleasure. Yet a friend who gave up for several months, got unusually drunk on his birthday and was enticed* into accepting one cigarette, and BANG he was back on the nicotine train and nearly 20 years later, he's still aboard :(

*by one of those evangelical smokers who seems to consider it an act of treachery when someone else gives up.

I tried to get addicted but cigarettes just made me feel shit the next day and made my hangovers 10x worse. Then I had a gf for a short while who smoked and it was difficult explaining to her that I only wanted to shag her not kiss her.

Cold turkey works smokey chickens.

Different people have different susceptibility. Back in the day when I smoked, I never craved tobacco or had any problem with going without, just smoked now and again for pleasure. Yet a friend who gave up for several months, got unusually drunk on his birthday and was enticed* into accepting one cigarette, and BANG he was back on the nicotine train and nearly 20 years later, he's still aboard :(

Quite right. I smoked 20 a day quite happily and then stopped (okay, second attempt). Not only do I not crave them now I don't want one, though occasionally the smell of a really nice tobacco does tempt me. Other people I know have tried everything to stop and when they do are obsessed by the fact that they're not smoking, they're a lot more dependent on nicotine than I was.

I would like to see some research on susceptibility to nicotine addiction as there are some people who should never touch a ciggie as they are then hooked for life so it would be nice to warn them.

It's definitely a bit of both.

I never was a heavy smoker, generally smoking between 10 and 15 a day, but I've gradually whittled it down to 3 a day, over the course of about a year. According to my Doc, I'm now past the point where the nicotine addiction makes a difference, so the last 3, which I quite enjoy, must be down to habit.

Getting fed up with smokers who are apparently addicted - and can't go without a cig for long haul flights, can get through a day at work with a cig - what a pathetic way to live your life- I mean come on smokers - seriously you can't manage one day without a cigarette??? or is the truth that you could if you really wanted to but just enjoy smoking too much.

By the way I have smoked before, off and on socially and regulary when younger - but never managed despite trying to become a compulsive addict who needs to go outside 20 times a day. Have to admit at times one would be good - but i just can't understand why smokers say they want to stop just can't grow a pair and if they really want to stop - just stop.

I realise this post might inflame smokers - but come its just so typical people always looking absolve themselves of responsibility.

I'm convinced that different people have differing propensities towards addictiction. However, I think in the case of nicotiene it's more poor will power than actual chemical addiction, although I'm sure some people will fall into the latter category.

I knew a chap who was in his 70's who went from smoking over 100 a day to none over the course of a long weekend and he'd smoked since he was 14. He caught a severe cold one Thursday, went to bed for the weekend and just never had another ciggy - simple as that. What makes this all the more amazing was that he ran a cigarette vending machine business part-time so was always around the things and spent his time going into to smoky pubs and clubs for business!

The same is true of drink. I've never been able to get my head round hard-core alcoholism. You know the types who put vodka on their cornflakes after having been drinking all the previous day and do that indefinitely. I can't understand how you can physically face alcohol after a night on the lash but lots of people seem to manage to stay permenently pissed off their skull.

Because with alcohol comes actual physical dependency, where they end up needing a drink just to feel 'normal'. It is very dangerous for an alcoholic to just stop drinking suddenly, it can be fatal.

But this physical dependency must again vary between individuals, surely? Some people must be far more susceptible to it than others. Like I say, I can't understand how you can go out on the lash and then wake up - probably feeling like shit - and immediately start drinking again. Don't get me wrong, I like a drink and have gone through periods where I've drank lots of alcohol pretty much every day (such as being on holiday) but I've never, ever, felt as though I'd crawl over broken glass to stay pissed 24/7.

Guest X-QUORK

But this physical dependency must again vary between individuals, surely? Some people must be far more susceptible to it than others. Like I say, I can't understand how you can go out on the lash and then wake up - probably feeling like shit - and immediately start drinking again. Don't get me wrong, I like a drink and have gone through periods where I've drank lots of alcohol pretty much every day (such as being on holiday) but I've never, ever, felt as though I'd crawl over broken glass to stay pissed 24/7.

Do you accept the principle that we are all different? That would explain what you find so hard to comprehend.

Do you accept the principle that we are all different? That would explain what you find so hard to comprehend.

I know - that's essentially what I was saying.

Because you really like it. There are few things to match going out and getting steaming drunk with your mates and having a laugh. Most of us take the feeling rough afterwards as a reason to wait a few days before doing it again, others want to keep doing it.

Frank Skinner (no relation) started out going out and getting pissed a lot and enjoyed it so much he wanted to keep doing it. He found out that he could if he kept a bottle of sherry by his bed and started drinking it when he woke up. That way the hangover disappeared, he felt fine, and could be down the pub for the lunchtime session however much he had drunk the night before. You can see how it happens. He has said that the last day he was truly happy was the last day he was pissed and he can quote the date. Now teetotal.

One of my drinking buddies in the City never seemed to eat or lay off the beer. I asked him about it and he said most days he didn't eat, so he had to go down the pub first thing luunchtime to have a few to stop his stomach hurting.

That in my experience is the tipping point. When you start getting bad hangovers or stomach aches most people including myself take that as a cue to cut down, in these two cases the solution was drinking more.

I never was a heavy smoker, generally smoking between 10 and 15 a day, but I've gradually whittled it down to 3 a day, over the course of about a year. According to my Doc, I'm now past the point where the nicotine addiction makes a difference, so the last 3, which I quite enjoy, must be down to habit.

You are playing mind games with yourself.

You are depriving yourself of something that you tell yourself you enjoy, (you have to convince yourself that you enjoy them because if you didn't smoking would be a very miserable past time.)

This makes the 3 you have each day seem even more enjoyable and you pat yourself on the back for only having 3 and having it under control.

You may even get it down to one a day and that one will seem even more enjoyable.

You may even get it down to one a week and that one will be heaven!!

The realisation that you are addicted will come when you just cant give that last one up.

Truth is, it is very easy to give up, it is the constant brainwashing telling you otherwise that is the major problem.

I don't think for those types it is a case of staying pissed by drinking in the morning, but are doing so to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. I was recently in Chester for a meeting, went for a Wetherspoon's breakfast at 9am and saw a few already on the beer. :blink:

My wife never smokes except when she is drinking. She would go into the kitchen under the auspices of pouring herself another vodka and go out the back for a sneaky fag. Only problem is when she comes back into the living room she reeks of tobacco! Don't think there is any way she can hide the stink.