House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kazuya

Planning Permission Question

Found a very nice Edwardian 5-bed semi (originally 5 bed, not extended) that needs modernisation and is on within my price range. It has two big rooms in the loft.

One room is 11ft x 10ft and the other is 31ft x 13ft.

The house is nice but council tax (Band E) is a little high and we don't really need 5 bedrooms but the house is very large with a large front and back garden.

Is it possible to convert the smaller loft bedroom into a bathroom so the house becomes a 4-bed Band D house or even change the large loft room into something other than a bedroom (i.e change of use) so it is classed as a 3-bed Band C house? I was thinking of using the large loft room as a gym anyway as its not adjoined with the house next door.

I've never gone through the planning permission process before so any advice will be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by Kazuya

Found a very nice Edwardian 5-bed semi (originally 5 bed, not extended) that needs modernisation and is on within my price range. It has two big rooms in the loft.

The house is nice but council tax (Band E) is a little high and we don't really need 5 bedrooms but the house is very large with a large front and back garden.

Is it possible to convert the smaller loft bedroom into a bathroom so the house becomes a 4-bed Band D house or even change the large loft room into something other than a bedroom (i.e change of use) so it is classed as a 3-bed Band C house? I was thinking of using the large loft room as a gym anyway as its not adjoined with the house next door.

I've never gone through the planning permission process before so any advice will be helpful.

Thanks.

a bedroom is a bedroom. I know that if you take the stairs out and replace them with a loft ladder that those 2 loft rooms can not be regarded as bedrooms though so you automatically have a 3 bed then

Guest sillybear2

Council tax bandings are a bit arbitrary, it depends on the value and the surrounding area, lopping off a bedroom doesn't automatically drop you down a band, especially if it could easily be converted back.

I think you're getting confused with the window tax ;)

a bedroom is a bedroom. I know that if you take the stairs out and replace them with a loft ladder that those 2 loft rooms can not be regarded as bedrooms though so you automatically have a 3 bed then

Wouldn't planning permission be needed to take the stairs out though?

They are proper spiral stairs.

Might just be much less hassle if I leave things as is now that I think about it more and stop being tight with the council tax.

Might just be much less hassle if I leave things as is now that I think about it more and stop being tight with the council tax.

No. Planning Permisson only appiles to what you do to the extrernal and outside the property. It has little application to inside, unless the property is Grade 2 or Grade 3 listed, then you have to get permission to change a pane of glass almost. If you like you could remove all non supporting walls on every floor of a house and make it all open plan everywhere.

Only building regs are needed. But even then it depends what you are doing.

Hence on Location Location Location and property ladder when when Krusty and Beenie discuss changing internal layouts and removing walls without adding extentions planning permission is never discussed at all. But when the want to add a huge rear extention to make a "light and airy" kitchen Diner they drag along the local planning officer onto TV for his opinion.

M

nope, not needed.

cost of taking the stairs out and adding a loft ladder is going to take a while to get back against possible council tax savings though and thats only if they agree to drop you a band. Not to mention the constant annoyance of pizzing about with a loft ladder whenever you want to go up there. Is it really worth the pennies you may or may not save?

where is this place anyway? sounds great and if you dont want to pay the tax I wouldnt mind, lol

Have you spoken with the council? My view is that the council is not that stupid. You will never be rated down in order that you can avoid council tax, even if you made it a 2 bedroom house! Would be a big first floor bedroom though :P

Thanks.

Have you spoken with the council? My view is that the council is not that stupid. You will never be rated down in order that you can avoid council tax, even if you made it a 2 bedroom house! Would be a big first floor bedroom though :P

I agree.

It sounds like a nice, big house with more than average garden space, and will remain so regardless of internal alterations. Since Band C is supposed to be the average (I think?) then Band D might well be optimisitic for such a substantial property. Worst case is that the OP asks for a review following his changes, and gets bumped up to Band F :)

I agree.

It sounds like a nice, big house with more than average garden space, and will remain so regardless of internal alterations. Since Band C is supposed to be the average (I think?)

But it's averaged over the whole of the country.

In some places a small 1 bed flat could be in band E and in others a 3 bed semi could be in Band A.

Back to the OP. Changing the designation of a usable room is unlikey to change the CT band. The house will still be the same size and of the same intrinsic value (CT banding ignores the standard of finish and values the house as if it were "normally" finished, even if it isn't)