House Price Crash Forum

Next Fraud By The Baby Boomers To Keep Us Paying

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10809128

Yes, keep those state pension payments rolling by becoming a living Buddha.  I guess at leas the didn't claim on the health service.

HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10809128

Yes, keep those state pension payments rolling by becoming a living Buddha. I guess at leas the didn't claim on the health service.

Baby boomers were born between 1945 and c. 1970.

Gen Xers are now into their 40's and will be starting to retire in 10 years.

Then Gen Y will be blaming Gen X for all their troubles.

Makes you think does't it? Baby busters will soon be blaming Gen Y before you know it!

And, the blame game-beat goes on and on and on and on.............

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA443

Makes you think does't it? Baby busters will soon be blaming Gen Y before you know it!

Who will the Silent Generation blame? :rolleyes:

The Silent Generation the children of Generation Y. ;)

HOLA444
HOLA445

could you explain this maths please?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/baby-boomer.html

The Baby Boom' - as opposed to 'a baby boom', refers to the increase in population in the countries that were victorious in WWII. The period is generally regarded as beginning in 1946 and ending in the mid-1960s.

HOLA446
HOLA447

+1

HOLA448

It was the boomers that ran up all the debts, sold all the state assets and awarded themselves huge pensions that they now intend to claim. Those of use born in the 70s were born too late to benefit from all the sell offs. The schools and NHS were already well in decline, all the industries had been privatised and the council houses were gone.

We have mere enjoyed the benefits of the bill.

HOLA449

Yes, keep those state pension payments rolling by becoming a living Buddha. I guess at leas the didn't claim on the health service.

You have to admit, it was an extremely clever and sophisticated fraud that this oldster committed.

Given that he was dead, and all.

:rolleyes:

HOLA4410

Yes this is so, So called Gen-Y and X(I say 'so called' on account of judging people as individuals not 'tribes' however sometimes there is a general trend in a group) will be blamed in future years for stealing all the resouces, burning all the oil etc and causing global warming or whatever happens., juist as we boomers (born late 50's) hated our parents generation for everything we could point a stick at (but grew out of when we could vote at 18 and most certainly by 25 or so).

Lets face it, its Gen X in charge now(and to date I see no real change of direction), and with them and all the enthusiastic gen Y etc now make up the largest voting block in the country, all will be perfect,..... or will it? I suspect not on account of the bad guys running the show, whether bankers or politicians conform to more of a 'line of inherritance' rather than any generational ideal, ie greed begatting greed etc etc.

It was the boomers that ran up all the debts, sold all the state assets and awarded themselves huge pensions that they now intend to claim. Those of use born in the 70s were born too late to benefit from all the sell offs. The schools and NHS were already well in decline, all the industries had been privatised and the council houses were gone.

I think you are about 20 or more years out of whack here. Most of the sell of was done under Mrs Thatcher and chums, most of who were born back in the 1920's, long before they had invented generational names or 'tribes', So called B-boomers(far too big an age spread to generalise prevailing conditions they were subject to) were just into their first years of work at this time. In fact the biggest age group in the UK is now aged around 42 or so, which I believe is called GenX, Britains baby boom was a very small glitch at the end of WW2, didnt last long due to the post WW2 austerity measures which lasted in many ways till around 1970 when our real B-boom started. As for big pensions, well most of them were paid out to Maggie T's generation, when the pyramid scheme had reached its peak, say in the 1980's till late 90's max. Most B-boomers have not retired yet, many are unemployed and only a select few will have massive final salary schemes or big civil service pensions to clame. Check out the graph re age groups in UK.

UK population 2008.gif

post-3806-12805419702098_thumb.gif

HOLA4411

Those of use born in the 70s were born too late to benefit from all the sell offs.

[...]

+1.

It was the boomers that ran up all the debts, sold all the state assets and awarded themselves huge pensions that they now intend to claim.

It's funny. The state pension system works on the premise that the next generation will pay for the pensions of the latter. In effect it's a ROI for the inital generations' leaving the next a good, healthy and productive economy. This also means that if you shaft the next generation, well, you reap what you sow. :)

HOLA4412

+1.

It's funny. The state pension system works on the premise that the next generation will pay for the pensions of the latter. In effect it's a ROI for the inital generations' leaving the next a good, healthy and productive economy. This also means that if you shaft the next generation, well, you reap what you sow. :)

thats how it works.

thats not what it was sold as....it was a "you paid in, so when you retire, there will be a pot".

Infact..the GENERATION BEFORE THE BOOMERS, needed the pension contributions to pay for THEIR mis-spending, therefore the funds were never built up.

so its the BOOMERS that have been deceived.

indeed, dont you get it....thats what Government does all the time...DECEIVE. you dont think a set of lying politicians makes up a nice, friendly, truthful Government do you?

HOLA4413

OK, I'll bite. Born 1961.

Debts? Avoided those - we were brought up in the shadow of Mr Micawber.

State assets? Yeah, like I was going to buy those, when the remainder of my income after tax+rent was the same as the dole at the time.

Huge pensions? Only money purchase. No final salary or other pooled vehicle, except a few quid in equitable life as a tax break in the 1980s, now worth £0!

Schools? Did you have textbooks you could use? Roofs that kept the rain out? Maybe even those new-fangled computer thingies? We didn't.

NHS? Erm, never did figure out what that's for: it wasn't there the one and only time I really needed it. National lottery service more like.

Council houses? The story in the '80s was the same as now: not a chance if you work and/or have an education and/or are childless, and a lottery even if you're a high-priority disabled single mother. One can only presume that, as is inevitable with any 'social' fund over time, it had reached the stage of being a slush fund for officials to reward themselves and their mates.

What we lacked was the level of protection offered by today's tenancy rules: before the AST the only tenancies available were the relics from an earlier era, and anyone entering the market couldn't hope for more than a "license". The AST was a huge improvement: we could get a real tenancy with legal rights (of sorts), prices started to fall (in real terms), and quality improved hugely (by the end of the '80s I could rely on getting hot water at least some of the time, for instance)!

In other words, the deal you attribute to people born in the '70s is ... well, rather better than reality for someone born a full decade earlier. The grass is always greener on the other side.

HOLA4414

Infact..the GENERATION BEFORE THE BOOMERS, needed the pension contributions to pay for THEIR mis-spending, therefore the funds were never built up.

Those now retired - the pre-boomers - are indeed getting a much better pension deal than will be available to the yet-to-be-able-to-claim. That's demographic inevitability (and political cowardice).

But their youth was interrupted by seriously troubled times. Their military experience wasn't exactly the gap-year jolly of today's youth.

HOLA4415

And you are going to get the blame for the biggest reversal in living standards in history. If you think that blaming the previous generation for societies ills is the name of the game, just wait and see what your kids will think of you. It will make your condemnation of boomers look like plastic bullets compared to the nukes your kids will be firing at you. Of course you will be as impotent as we were in terms of preventing what the gobernment does in your name but until you/we blame the real enemy then nothing will ever change.

HOLA4416

Wrong! - it was the government of the time that did all these things - as they always do. Most governments are composed of people in their fifties/sixties so they happen to be boomers.

HOLA4417

Wrong! - it was the government of the time that did all these things - as they always do. Most governments are composed of people in their fifties/sixties so they happen to be boomers.

Except now when the top chaps are so called gen X, and there will be fk all difference apart from being Tory and Eton educated will look after the landed gentry set.

HOLA4418

Post-mortem pension fraud by greedy relations is already costing the UK millions each year. When I worked in UKBA we used to have officers based mainly in the indian sub-continent who would spend some of their weekly work issuing visas and the other part driving up into remote hill villages etc to check on the recipients of UK pensions (some years back it became possible for pension cash to be collected at commonwealth post offices, to cater for the growing band of UK immigrants from the 1950s on who were returning to their countries of birth to live a high life on the UK pension).

In many cases it was found that the pension recipient was dead - usually the family would be as evasive as the in the Japanese case, sometimes even borrowing another daft old git from the village to pretend to be the person. But generally these countries have proper death records, thanks to their British Empire style civil services, hence death certificates could be found by the officers and pensions stopped. Of course there is no chance of any prosecution against family members being successful - trouble is that now it is impossible for such officers to head up into the Pakistani hills and return alive, so the list of remarkably alive 100 years plus British pensioners residing in those hills will grow and grow and grow....at our expense.

This is the next problem for us - the massive waves of immigrants from the 50s, 60s and 70s are now returning home and will quite rightly claim their state pensions - in almost all cases we will never know when they are dead. Eventually such countries will get computerised central death records - but then the families will simply bribe the local doctor or hospital or funeral director to keep quiet and not notify the death or burial. We have not got a chance! Send in the drones perhaps to spy on funerals????

PS - IF THERE IS A DAILY MAIL JOURNALIST READING THIS, IT IS A STORY YOUR LARGELY INSANE READERS WILL ENJOY BEING HORRIFIED BY SO COME ON AND GET STUCK IN!

HOLA4419

Post-mortem pension fraud by greedy relations is already costing the UK millions each year. When I worked in UKBA we used to have officers based mainly in the indian sub-continent who would spend some of their weekly work issuing visas and the other part driving up into remote hill villages etc to check on the recipients of UK pensions (some years back it became possible for pension cash to be collected at commonwealth post offices, to cater for the growing band of UK immigrants from the 1950s on who were returning to their countries of birth to live a high life on the UK pension).

In many cases it was found that the pension recipient was dead - usually the family would be as evasive as the in the Japanese case, sometimes even borrowing another daft old git from the village to pretend to be the person. But generally these countries have proper death records, thanks to their British Empire style civil services, hence death certificates could be found by the officers and pensions stopped. Of course there is no chance of any prosecution against family members being successful - trouble is that now it is impossible for such officers to head up into the Pakistani hills and return alive, so the list of remarkably alive 100 years plus British pensioners residing in those hills will grow and grow and grow....at our expense.

This is the next problem for us - the massive waves of immigrants from the 50s, 60s and 70s are now returning home and will quite rightly claim their state pensions - in almost all cases we will never know when they are dead. Eventually such countries will get computerised central death records - but then the families will simply bribe the local doctor or hospital or funeral director to keep quiet and not notify the death or burial. We have not got a chance! Send in the drones perhaps to spy on funerals????

PS - IF THERE IS A DAILY MAIL JOURNALIST READING THIS, IT IS A STORY YOUR LARGELY INSANE READERS WILL ENJOY BEING HORRIFIED BY SO COME ON AND GET STUCK IN!

This is spot on , i think i saw it on a documentary once called Weekend at Bernies

HOLA4420

thats not what it was sold as....it was a "you paid in, so when you retire, there will be a pot".

I once listened to a man who fought in WWII, and he described exactly the same thing as you. Presumably then you both failed to change the system and now it falls to my generation to take the hit. Thanks.

Yes. I think some kind of major conflict (like a world-wide war) may of been the reason for their profligacy. Of course it's easy to blame them because they did all the spending (and dying) but that ignores the reason for their excess - that they were fixing the mistakes left to them by their previous generation (sound familiar?) and so I don't hold them at fault at all. In fact they gave the succeeding generation a massive amount of wealth, which as you may now of noticed is gone.

But as far as pensions go this doesn't change anything. The system as it is now still works they was it always has - with the succeeding generation paying for the wealth left to them by the prior. And in that respect the large number of pensioners (and soon to be pensioners) complaining about how poor their state pensions are tells a very interesting story.

HOLA4421

Those now retired - the pre-boomers - are indeed getting a much better pension deal than will be available to the yet-to-be-able-to-claim. That's demographic inevitability (and political cowardice).

But their youth was interrupted by seriously troubled times. Their military experience wasn't exactly the gap-year jolly of today's youth.

you could say the same of the Germans.

I wasnt attacking the exploits of our forefathers...I was pointing out the lie of Governments, present, past and future.

there was never a pot for pensions, there never will be.

HOLA4422

I once listened to a man who fought in WWII, and he described exactly the same thing as you. Presumably then you both failed to change the system and now it falls to my generation to take the hit. Thanks.

Yes. I think some kind of major conflict (like a world-wide war) may of been the reason for their profligacy. Of course it's easy to blame them because they did all the spending (and dying) but that ignores the reason for their excess - that they were fixing the mistakes left to them by their previous generation (sound familiar?) and so I don't hold them at fault at all. In fact they gave the succeeding generation a massive amount of wealth, which as you may now of noticed is gone.

But as far as pensions go this doesn't change anything. The system as it is now still works they was it always has - with the succeeding generation paying for the wealth left to them by the prior. And in that respect the large number of pensioners (and soon to be pensioners) complaining about how poor their state pensions are tells a very interesting story.

yo have no idea what generation Im from...Im not a boomer.

I have no control over the lying politicians.

and we have had wars ever since you may have noticed. indeed this generation TODAY are contemplation spending god knows how many billions on a deterent against our enemies.

YOUR kids will be paying for that.

thats what deficit spending does...deficit spending introduced if memory serves, around 1920. long before the second World War.

HOLA4423

OK, I'll bite. Born 1961.

Debts? Avoided those - we were brought up in the shadow of Mr Micawber.

State assets? Yeah, like I was going to buy those, when the remainder of my income after tax+rent was the same as the dole at the time.

Huge pensions? Only money purchase. No final salary or other pooled vehicle, except a few quid in equitable life as a tax break in the 1980s, now worth £0!

Schools? Did you have textbooks you could use? Roofs that kept the rain out? Maybe even those new-fangled computer thingies? We didn't.

No one ever said that wealth is spread equally and you will always find exceptional cases or cases where people made bad descisions. That's why I've tried to ignore personal cases in this kind of argument - they're just not representative of the mass as a whole.

What we lacked was the level of protection offered by today's tenancy rules: before the AST the only tenancies available were the relics from an earlier era, and anyone entering the market couldn't hope for more than a "license".

In common with others from your generation who argue these kind of points you ignore a number of factors such as low house prices (which were in no small part attribuitable to the now discontinued HPI supressive taxation). And then there's Britain's former oil fields. The Dutch et al used the money from those to make their country far far nicer than it was. What did your generation spend it on? On yes, that's right, DSS payments.

And as for AST's, yes you had an antiquated system but back then most people either owned or rented from the council. And if you were in the position where you had no choice but to rent privately then you got a place which was appropriate to your position in society.

HOLA4424

I was born in 1968 which as far as I can tell puts be in between the boomers and gen X , as far as I am concerned it was the best possible time to be born , not because I was able to get stuff for free like council houses or final salary pensions which I could not, but because I think that by luck when I graduated was the time of maximum opportunity, and I think thats what people are missing here, its not the free stuff pensions or cheap housing that matters so much its the chance to do a job even with crappy pay and if you worked hard do well, I think maybe polish people who moved to the UK will view the 2000's as the golden era of opportunity and good luck to them they are the ones working hard that deserve to make something of their lives ...

HOLA4425

yo have no idea what generation Im from...Im not a boomer.

And nor was I attacking you personally.

I have no control over the lying politicians.

I don't expect or ask that you use "control", only influence. Sadly it seems that many boomers have an aversion to voting, much like many from my generation who seem to have acquired the same mentality.

and we have had wars ever since you may have noticed. indeed this generation TODAY are contemplation spending god knows how many billions on a deterent against our enemies.

That's a pretty weak argument. Some of those wars were so small as to be called skirmishes and none of the others were as reaching enough to directly and immediately threaten your liberty or way of life. And certainly not in the way that WWII was.

YOUR kids will be paying for that.

I worry more about not leaving sufficient wealth for my kids so that they can have a good life and not one in which they end up paying for my spending habits.

thats what deficit spending does...deficit spending introduced if memory serves, around 1920. long before the second World War.

In other words after WWI and during the British depression which followed? That was small change compared to what we have now.

And that also ignores the current "structural deficit", which seems to exist for no apparent reasonable reason.