House Price Crash Forum
AteMoose

French Solve Youth Housing Problem

A good way to get care for the elderly in the community on the cheap AND gives the young somewhere decent to live. Could foster more inter-generational understanding too. A win-win.

Wouln't work in the UK though, too much petty jealousy and 'me-me' culture. Also, it would get blocked by those who would rather stop the young getting somewhere cheap when they can be shafted by high rents and 'shared-ownership.'

Edited by deflation

All the words on the scrabble board are english. I call shenanigans.

Anyway, in England it would all go wrong and end up in the tabloids as, "Penniless lodger in huge house feasts off scabs from old hag".

hhmmmm those old people. They love the smell of slavery keeping them in the life they've become accustomed to.

And if grandma lives to 100, little missy will still be there at 60 living in here spare broom cupboard, fetching her meals and wiping her ass for her.

this should be the other way around

the elderly should live in a granny flat in the younger generations' home and help raising the grand-kids in return for shelter

the elderly should live in a granny flat in the younger generations' home and help raising the grand-kids in return for shelter

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, the oldies own the properties...

+1

My parents own a great big house, a part of which could very easily be converted into a granny flat. Hints have been dropped more than once, always met with answers like "Why would we move down your way, there's no work and we'd be lodgers-with-children instead of having our own place" :rolleyes:

What feckin planet are you on? Why the fk should someone who has worked and supported themselves for 40+ years spend time wet nursing your generations offspring so you can keep a roof over their head. A roof that you have done bu99er all to earn.

At a guess, planet-whoosh!

Sometimes a provocative statement like that is intended to provoke you ... make you think :P

Oh good. I had been thinking it was one that was attempting to engage with people from the boomer generation who might have empathy with the plight of the young. No feckin chance.

A good way to get care for the elderly in the community on the cheap AND gives the young somewhere decent to live. Could foster more inter-generational understanding too. A win-win.

It certainly happens in the UK, at least in individual cases. Perhaps not at the extremes of those who need 24-hour care, but in the area of bits of help in lieu of rent.

What do you mean by 'elderly'?

Looking after young children needs energy, mobility, alertness and eyes in the back of your head.

Not the qualities invariably associated with 'elderly'.

The sort of people who would want or need to be in a granny flat are not likely to be much use looking after children who actually need minding.

And that's leaving aside the whole q of whether people who've done their bit looking after their own children should be expected to look after anyone else's - except when they want to.

A good many g-parents love having their g-children for defined periods - but even the fit ones are very often knackered when it's time to give them back.

I can't imagen the boomers letting some young scallies ruin there wealthy retirement and equally I can't see any young people moving out of their parents to go and live with a coffin dodger!

All the words on the scrabble board are english. I call shenanigans.

Actually....

rater Verb, intransitive (a) to misfire; (fig) to backfire, misfire

gain Noun, masculine (a) earnings, worker's wages, wage; ~s company profits; gambler's winnings

fin Adjective (a) thin layer, paper, material

fin Noun, feminine (a) end;

The form hates could be:

• (as hâtes) from the subjunctive of the verb hâter

• (as hâtes) from the present tense of the verb hâter

• (as hâtés) the past participle of the verb hâter

The form gages could be:

• (as gagés) the past participle of the verb gager

• from the present tense of the verb gager

• from the subjunctive of the verb gager

Don't think they have accented letters in scrabble- even international scrabble

Sorry, bit of time on my hands today!

RH

What feckin planet are you on? Why the fk should someone who has worked and supported themselves for 40+ years spend time wet nursing your generations offspring so you can keep a roof over their head. A roof that you have done bu99er all to earn.

Because the war generation (those that were kids during the war, it's wrong to target the baby boomers, they will be screwed like everybody else) are at the bottom of the pyramid. The only ones that have/will gain in the giant ponzi. They have spent their lives living beyond their means, generating budget deficits and inflation with the highest disposable income ever. What they leave behind are debts, un-affordable homes, a bust state, etc.

The 'earned' bit betrays your lack of understanding. Just like those people who think they deserve to sell their house for £xxx because it was all their hard work. They didn't earn anything, they borrowed and inflated the market.

Now having terminally f*cked up the economy, they can't afford to support themselves (having among other things vastly under-contributed for their pensions) and those services they wish for can't be afforded by the public purse.

But they still want to keep the house!

Cake and eat it, etc. etc.

I know it's usually wrong to generalise that way, but don't tell me people of the generation mentioned earned anything.

Their legacy are £500k houses that they paid £5k on credit, and massive pension and public deficit due to their insufficient tax and pensions contributions while they were pampering themselves.

I once visited an olds folks' home that also had a nursery school - the old folks helped out the little ones with their drawing and little projects etc., - it gave the old people something to do and gain satisfaction from, and the kids loved having all the extra grannies.

Doubt if it would happen now though, as the old folk would all have to pay for CRB checks.

The 'earned' bit betrays your lack of understanding. Just like those people who think they deserve to sell their house for £xxx because it was all their hard work. They didn't earn anything, they borrowed and inflated the market.

Now having terminally f*cked up the economy, they can't afford to support themselves (having among other things vastly under-contributed for their pensions) and those services they wish for can't be afforded by the public purse.

But they still want to keep the house!

Cake and eat it, etc. etc.

I know it's usually wrong to generalise that way, but don't tell me people of the generation mentioned earned anything.

Their legacy are £500k houses that they paid £5k on credit, and massive pension and public deficit due to their insufficient tax and pensions contributions while they were pampering themselves.

+1

Have you been reading my posts? :P

Do they mean grandchildren moving in with their own relatives?

Intergenerational living would make sense if you all got on, had enough room and were able to do everything in the same way as if you lived on your own.

How would it work?

Someone 21 moving in with someone aged 65?

We're living longer so by the time the oldie is 100 then the youngster is 56.

Are they by then supposed to have married, had kids?

I suspect that most people would feel emotionally castrated having to live with an older person if it was the only option available to them.

What if the old person requires more care than they can give? Are they then evicted? What "reward" is there for having shared someone's home?

What benefits are there for the young person?

Will they just get a cheap room? Will they be able to treat it as their home properly?

+1

Have you been reading my posts? :P

Without doubt but can't consciously remember. I'll gladly attribute credit to you, I certainly didn't find this out all by myself. :)

Of course they are one and the same thing.

Public sector debt is mirrored by private sector savings.

So if you manage to perform the trick of running very large public sector deficits (a huge acceleration since 1997, during your time I believe) then the money has to go somewhere...and that somewhere is typically the property market.

And that's not what I would call hard earned money.

What benefits are there for the young person?

Will they just get a cheap room? Will they be able to treat it as their home properly?

The right to live.

If you wish to have a roof over your head, you must service the old.

The little old lady who needs a cook and cleaner.

The little old couple who need someone to act as a butler when they guests.

The little old man who wants his knob polishing once a day.

Surely even old people living in large council houses should be able to enjoy the scheme, using one of their 3 spare bedrooms as a servant quarters?