House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Will The "tiny House" Movement Catch On?

Dee Williams, who lives in a simple but stylish 84 square-foot home has started a company to help other people build their own mini-homes. It's all part of the "tiny house" movement, a trend becoming more popular as people look for ways to save money, help the environment and simplify their lives.

Think this will this catch on? I don't, at least in a big way. 84 square foot homes (or even 250) are simply too extreme. However, tiny homes are just a small part of a major and growing trend towards frugality and downsizing in general.

That trend has just begun. It is a crucial part of the deflationary environment in which we live.

"Helping the environment" - that over used euphemism for simply giving in to the scum sucking elitists who think that the [sic] useless eaters should just be culled or live in tents. F**k that. If these apologists for blatant feudalism want to advocate cardboard cities, why doesn't "prince" Philip or the queen go and live in one?

All you peasants must live in squalor while we, your feudal masters, enjoy our palaces, country retreats and expense funded (thanks peasants) second, third and fourth homes.

Anyone have any idea how building regulations, planning etc would affect building something that small in this country, assuming it was mostly stationary? I'm actually quite tempted.

I've had holidays on narrow boats and I wouldn't mind being in a small space if it was designed extremely well and had a big garden or green space nearby - most narrow boats seem to be designed a heck of a lot better for living in than new build flats etc, and I imagine these would probably have similarly sensible layouts. I've already looked into residential boats where I'm living, but moorings are pretty much impossible to get.

I would be all for living in a caravan or boat if it was in a nice location and was cheap. I had a flat of 250sq ft (with a terrace and shared garden) and it was ok, but I wouldn't want to go much smaller than that. The worrying thing about all this micro-living stuff is that it is often just a way of getting people to accept smaller and smaller living conditions for the same, if not higher, prices. I also hate the way the British talk about bedrooms instead of square footage like the Americans do. Mind you in my experience, most Brits under 40 don't understand weights and measures in either imperial OR metric, so there wouldn't be much point.

If you really want the benefits of small-space living, (eg, in a caravan, van, boat, shed etc) you have to go 'off grid' and live illegally, as the powers that be don't want you escaping your feudal obligations.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/07/will-tiny-house-movement-catch-on.html

I would add coming over here soon but some of the new build "executive" rabbit hutches might already qualify.

One of our normal houses - 500 sq ft. Not much bigger than the 400 sq ft top limit for this American movement.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=148364&view=findpost&p=2647682

My uncle had a similar place on Hengistbury Head, in the mid naughties it sold for over 100K ! You had to go down to the council toilets by the cafe for a crap too.

I thought I was living in a tiny house and its 110 m.sq. with 650 m.sq of garden.

My living rooms over 800 square feet.

So you can fit 10 of those into one living room. It's just silliness. Silliness.

Your living room is probably bigger than my new build 2 bed flat (which I am renting).

Is there any need for data monkeys in rural Thailand? :)

Guest Noodle

Your living room is probably bigger than my new build 2 bed flat (which I am renting).

Is there any need for data monkeys in rural Thailand? :)

TEFL teachers seem to do okay. One I know round the corner rents a 3 bed house (ghastly condition mind) for THB 2300 a month, income THB 35,000/month. Miserable area though.

TEFL teachers seem to do okay. One I know round the corner rents a 3 bed house (ghastly condition mind) for THB 2300 a month, income THB 35,000/month. Miserable area though.

Thanks for the heads up but I'd probably rather spend 5 hrs a day rubbing myself raw with a haddock than teach English again. £700 a month against £45 rent isn't bad. I take it other expenditure would be minimal?

Do the TEFL teachers have any data management issues that you are aware of? :)

Guest Noodle

Thanks for the heads up but I'd probably rather spend 5 hrs a day rubbing myself raw with a haddock than teach English again. £700 a month against £45 rent isn't bad. I take it other expenditure would be minimal?

Do the TEFL teachers have any data management issues that you are aware of? :)

Not that I know of. Thing is, these countries are pretty much self-sufficient in everything except nuclear power station construction. They're also bizarrely protectionist about everything, especially jobs.