House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

How To Dispose Of Old Pcs?

My PC has died, and been replaced. It now sits in a cupboard. Come to think of it there's a few other old PCs sitting there too. What's the best way to dispose of these? I can format them sure (if I can be bothered), but even then are they safe to offload in the local refuse dump? I thinking of credit card details etc.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid. But what's the best way to offload them?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

My PC has died, and been replaced. It now sits in a cupboard. Come to think of it there's a few other old PCs sitting there too. What's the best way to dispose of these? I can format them sure (if I can be bothered), but even then are they safe to offload in the local refuse dump? I thinking of credit card details etc.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid. But what's the best way to offload them?

Eraser Link.

Then put it on Freecycle, so it's less likely to end up being roasted in a chemical bath next to a Chinese river.

if you are worried about hard drives private data - open up the pc, locate the hard drive and pop it in the microwave for a minute or maybe 30 seconds - fuses the heads to the disk platter, totally kills it

take rest of PC minus the hard drive to the tip and the council will sell it on to PC recyclers

frankly, your hard drive would be safe anyway but that's what I would do if that worried.

I have an old PC that I don't use and will chuck when I have everything off it that I need to get off it. After that I'm gonna take the hard-drive out, take it to the range and put a bullet through it!

I took mine apart, broke it up into little bits and threw them into the bin when small enough. Great fun.

Well I enjoyed it.

Hammer for your hard drive. Passwords, credit card, contacts, e-mails. Not worth the risk of somebody else getting hold of all that.

My son took the HDD out of my old computer, and put it into the new one along with the new HDD. I now have a backup disk in the machine - great - no more external backups.

My computer is one that somebody else had discarded. Some people regard a computer as scrap when it no longer runs the latest games. If your demands of a machine are more modest then that mans discard will last you for years.

My computer is one that somebody else had discarded. Some people regard a computer as scrap when it no longer runs the latest games. If your demands of a machine are more modest then that mans discard will last you for years.

pretty much

i got rid of my old PC circa 2004 pentium 4 , stripped it of the DVD burner , 768 of the 1gig ram , took out the 160gig HDD leaving only a blank 40 gig HDD (no windows install) and left it out for bulk rubbish collection

next day it had gone , to be honest though you'd need some good knowledge on getting it working again , having to use another machine to download the specific drivers (you need to look for the number on the motherboard and google that) for the network card and sound card as they are not included on any windows cd (another PC required as your cannot access the internet on the crippled PC until you get the network card working)

sorry for blabbering on here i'm just thinking out aloud how the bloke who took the machine got on.i imagine it's back in the skip when he switched it on only to get the 'INVALID SYSTEM DISK' error you get when there is no windows install on there.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Which is why I tend to use freecycle or give my old kit to family members.

Much better than polluting a Chinese river.

First question, What has 'died ? New Hard Drives are as cheap as chips and so is RAM compared to a new PC

Although Hard Drives are as cheap as chips, I always remove the HD drive from Laptops or Desktops and then buy a cheap firewire or USB2 enclosure to either give me a permanent backup of my data on the machine 'frozen in time', or to give me a cheap portable hard disk.

For a poster above, while I also have multiple hard drives in my machines, these should not be considered a backup as the 'backup' is in the same place and connected to the same electricity supply as is your primary disk.

Personally, I only tend to buy a new machine every 5-6 years*

Usually, I will upgrade the RAM or hard disk size/speed to extend the life, before I would consider dumping the machine.

*I always buy the highest specified mac originally and do use my machines heavily for data processing, although not much for video.

pretty much

i got rid of my old PC circa 2004 pentium 4 , stripped it of the DVD burner , 768 of the 1gig ram , took out the 160gig HDD leaving only a blank 40 gig HDD (no windows install) and left it out for bulk rubbish collection

next day it had gone , to be honest though you'd need some good knowledge on getting it working again , having to use another machine to download the specific drivers (you need to look for the number on the motherboard and google that) for the network card and sound card as they are not included on any windows cd (another PC required as your cannot access the internet on the crippled PC until you get the network card working)

sorry for blabbering on here i'm just thinking out aloud how the bloke who took the machine got on.i imagine it's back in the skip when he switched it on only to get the 'INVALID SYSTEM DISK' error you get when there is no windows install on there.

I know a young person who can do all that stuff.

My son took the HDD out of my old computer, and put it into the new one along with the new HDD. I now have a backup disk in the machine - great - no more external backups.

Better than no backups at all, but still risky -- an event that fries one of the drives will quite possibly fry the other.