House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Budget Review Recommends Up To 60,000 Public Jobs Cut - Scotish Govt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-10794298

Up to 60,000 public sector workers in Scotland could lose their jobs in the next few years, an independent review commissioned by ministers has said.

The panel, which considered options for future expenditure, recommended a fall in public sector employment of between 5.7% and 10% by 2014-15.

It called for reductions to be made as far as possible by natural wastage.

The panel was created in February to detail which cuts could be made in the face of a £42bn squeeze over 16 years.

The Independent Budget Review report set out options that Holyrood may want to consider "in the face of the most challenging public spending environment since the Second World War".

It said one in 10 public sector jobs would have to go if pay grew in line with UK plans, although this could drop to 35,000 (5.7%) if a tougher approach to pay restraint was adopted.

The report called for a two-year pay freeze from 2011-12 "as the first essential step to constrain growth in the public sector pay bill" - which accounts for 60% of spending in Scotland.

It also called for a review of public sector pensions and a reduction in the number of public bodies.

The three-man panel recommended subjecting all services - including the NHS - to scrutiny. It said there should be "no overriding presumption of protection for any of the major services".

Still as long as house prices go up all will be fine...

Life looks like it's going to get increasingly tough for those with debt.

Am still waiting to see MASS layoff's !...........................I recall Steelworks shuting etc...but i yet to see one BLOODY sacking !!!!

Mike

Am still waiting to see MASS layoff's !...........................I recall Steelworks shuting etc...but i yet to see one BLOODY sacking !!!!

Mike

I knew that's what your comment would be when I saw this thread!

My partner works in admin for nhs. The manager of her office has a meeting soon about the cutbacks. I'm hoping some redundancies will be announced then.

I knew that's what your comment would be when I saw this thread!

My partner works in admin for nhs. The manager of her office has a meeting soon about the cutbacks. I'm hoping some redundancies will be announced then.

no, theyll be announcing a plan to discuss the forthcoming cutbacks discussion group formation for possibly affected workers.